Injury Report: Joe Vitale (LTIR)

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
This has got Kurt Sauer written all over it. Never mind never playing hockey again, I hope Joey can perform basic daily functions after this.

We love you Joey.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Was this all from that fight? Scratched from the line-up for a few games only to have this happen trying to make a mark? Get well soon, Joe.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I enjoy fighting in hockey but that is one example of why it maybe shouldn't be so celebrated.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I had my life irretrievably changed by a bad concussion. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Here's hoping Joe recovers.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How does his salary affect the cap going forward?

Based on wildcat's comments, my assumption would be that Vitale is paid from the insurance but it does not count against the cap during the season (like Pronger this year).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
For our CBA buffs... who pays Vitale's salary? The Coyotes or insurance?

Almost certainly the Coyotes. The injury insurance details aren't public but the most recent info published on them is that teams pay a insurance premium based on the top 5-7 salaries on the team, and can insure 5-7 players partially or fully based on those salaries.

How does his salary affect the cap going forward?

It counts fully against the cap. If the Coyotes were a cap ceiling team they could exercise the LTIR exception to replace his salary with other players. It also counts towards the cap floor, which for a budget team like Arizona is more relevant.

Based on wildcat's comments, my assumption would be that Vitale is paid from the insurance but it does not count against the cap during the season (like Pronger this year).

Pronger's salary is reportedly paid by insurance, but Pronger does count against the cap.

Last edited:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That's right. Pronger is a 35+ contract.

Better example by me would've been Savard, Ohlund, Horton, etc.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Almost certainly the Coyotes. The injury insurance details aren't public but the most recent info published on them is that teams pay a insurance premium based on the top 5-7 salaries on the team, and can insure 5-7 players partially or fully based on those salaries.

It counts fully against the cap. If the Coyotes were a cap ceiling team they could exercise the LTIR exception to replace his salary with other players. It also counts towards the cap floor, which for a budget team like Arizona is more relevant.

Pronger's salary is reportedly paid by insurance, but Pronger does count against the cap.

True, it's ultimately up to the Coyotes. They don't necessarily have to file a claim, but I tend to believe they will so once its approved insurance will pick up the contract. Everything else is accurate.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
True, it's ultimately up to the Coyotes. They don't necessarily have to file a claim, but I tend to believe they will so once its approved insurance will pick up the contract. Everything else is accurate.

I'm saying its highly improbable that Vitale's contract is insured in the first place. Not all contracts on a team are insured, usually just the 5-7 largest contracts, under the NHL's league-wide insurance policy. Vitale's salary is like 12th on the roster.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I had my life irretrievably changed by a bad concussion. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Here's hoping Joe recovers.

Well, that explains everything.:) Kidding aside, I can't imagine having something that lingers on that long, it's devastating. I've had five broken bones but they all healed after a couple of months and I could continue my life as before, but something like a concussion, not only affects you, but everyone around you.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Well, that explains everything.:) Kidding aside, I can't imagine having something that lingers on that long, it's devastating. I've had five broken bones but they all healed after a couple of months and I could continue my life as before, but something like a concussion, not only affects you, but everyone around you.

That is true. Sometimes situations like Kurt Sauer's and mine are the best-case scenarios, too, given that the worst-case scenarios are guys like Derek Boogaard and Adrian Robinson.

That said, sometimes people whose recoveries are slow still enjoy a complete recovery at the end of it. That's what I hope for Joe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad