News Article: Joe Veleno

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looking at how the rest of the draft is producing, I think it’s safe to say he easily breaks into the top 15 if there was a redraft today. Maybe even in the 9-11 range. I’m not sure if I’d have him over Hayton (50/50 at this point), but I know with 100% certainty I’d pick him over players like Foudy, O’Brian, and Wahlstrom

Re-drafts this close to the draft are pointless.

But I had him ranked #12 or #13 going into the Draft IIRC.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pointless to consider his WJC showing. He was getting ~6 minutes a game. Good to see it didn’t shake him.

For real? Lighting up the Q, and being absolutely red hot, and he gets that kind of ice time. Me thinks that WHL coach, that got fired for calling out Tim Hunter was right on the money about him being a bad coach.

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
Am I out to lunch thinking that Veleno will will have the biggest impact of the guys we’ve drafted the last 2 drafts? I really really like his game and what he brings. He could pan out to be a great 2nd line center behind Larkin. He thinks the game so well and his skating is great in my opinion, he’s a ‘high motor’ kind of guy and I value that a lot in players. Do I over estimate him?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I feel like they win every game 10-1

They are a dominant team, with the movement in the Q at the deadline though in the late rounds that will be a lot of fun to watch. They have some top heavy teams that are going to battle it out and Halifax (which I think frankly should have done more at the deadline) will be the Memorial Cup team. So they are good, I was surprised they weren't bigger dealers though. Dobson's move is huge to that league though.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
Veleno will be a bottom 6 career center, and might peak as a middle 6 guy. He's playing on a stacked team, and basically has a D+2 level of experience.
What exactly does this mean? I see you're trying to diminish his successes this year; I can't see how having entered the league a year early means his contributions this year are lesser.

Reactions: RedWingzz

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
What exactly does this mean? I see you're trying to diminish his successes this year; I can't see how having entered the league a year early means his contributions this year are lesser.

He's playing fine, but, the other players in the scoring title race, and best ppgs have less than ~150 games in the Q. Veleno has over 200. Playing on a stacked team, with what amounts to being a very seasoned veteran, by any measure in the CHL, gives him an advantage.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think he is like Larkin in AHL. Circling around guys, and 6 games is enough to see that.

I am not sure that will be true. Larkin was playing against a different class of players in the NCAA at 18. He wasn't playing against 16 year olds, he was playing against men. The AHL for Veleno will be his first exposure to a men's game

Reactions: Konnan511

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pronman's latest rankings of prospects outside from NHL.

Pronman: 2018-19 midseason NHL prospects ranking

Joe Veleno was ranked #37.

Joseph Veleno, C, Detroit
Previous ranking: 43
Skating: 60
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 50
Hockey sense: 55

Veleno is one of the best players in the QMJHL this season and recently is scorching hot scoring-wise. He’s a very good skater who can push the pace and make a play with speed. He competes hard and could be a solid two-way center as a pro. Veleno is putting up points, but more importantly scoring goals – and not just tap-ins, a criticism of his game last season. He’s a divisive prospect. Some scouts love him, some scouts say he screams fourth-liner. I lean to the former camp. Though his counting stats this season might get Detroit fans ahead of themselves, I think Veleno has enough skill to score in the NHL.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is it just that his skating his so much better than everyone, or why is he scoring so much more than last year? Didn't he only have 79 PTS last season?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Is it just that his skating his so much better than everyone, or why is he scoring so much more than last year? Didn't he only have 79 PTS last season?
He was in a dogshit team half of last year and his shooting improved. Drummondville is stacked.

Reactions: Oddbob

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
No, he had 48, in 33 games with his current team. He’s older now, and he’s on a team that’s scoring in buckets which both help.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Veleno at QMHJL:

1st season, 57 points in 79 games (including playoffs) = 0.69 points/game
2nd season, 51 points in 63 games (including playoffs) = 0.81 points/game
3rd season, 31 points in 31 games = 1.00 points/game
trade to Drummondville
3rd season, 59 points in 43 games (including playoffs) = 1.37 points/game
4th season, 62 points in 34 games = 1.82 points/game.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Veleno at QMHJL:

1st season, 57 points in 79 games (including playoffs) = 0.69 points/game
2nd season, 51 points in 63 games (including playoffs) = 0.81 points/game
3rd season, 31 points in 31 games = 1.00 points/game
trade to Drummondville
3rd season, 59 points in 43 games (including playoffs) = 1.37 points/game
4th season, 62 points in 34 games = 1.82 points/game.

In other news, players tend to get better the more experience they have and the more games they play! Shocking right?

All jokes aside, he is having a monster season!

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
He's playing fine, but, the other players in the scoring title race, and best ppgs have less than ~150 games in the Q. Veleno has over 200. Playing on a stacked team, with what amounts to being a very seasoned veteran, by any measure in the CHL, gives him an advantage.

So because he was better than everybody else at a younger age makes what he is doing less impressive? That doesn't make any sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->