News Article: Joe Veleno

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Pointless to consider his WJC showing. He was getting ~6 minutes a game. Good to see it didn’t shake him.
He had some games where he looked really good in the shifts he got, especially against the Czechs. But it just never got him anywhere. His coach wasn't going to give him more time.

But in a way, we should feel vindicated. Canada needed more scoring, and IMO Veleno could have given it to them. It was worthy of a shot, at the least. And they didn't even bother to try. They deserved to lose. Thankfully it seems pretty likely there will be a new coach next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yooper906

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Scored his 6th SHG of the season, 23rd Overall, today in an 8-5 Win, did have 8 SOG... Was also +3 and the 3rd Star.

Only 1 point today, trade him lol

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
He had some games where he looked really good in the shifts he got, especially against the Czechs. But it just never got him anywhere. His coach wasn't going to give him more time.

But in a way, we should feel vindicated. Canada needed more scoring, and IMO Veleno could have given it to them. It was worthy of a shot, at the least. And they didn't even bother to try. They deserved to lose. Thankfully it seems pretty likely there will be a new coach next year.

I agree with a lot of your assessment FKH. I saw 3 Canada games and thought Veleno, in the few shifts he got, made an impact almost every time. Dogged forechecking and several good passes along with a few scoring chances. A couple times he turned on the afterburners and wow, speed and skating are not an issue at all. I'm sure he'll play a much bigger role next year.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Considering he was played out of position and had limited ice time I thought he was very good. Getting him so late in the first round was a steal imo. He does however lack a bit of finishing.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Looking at how the rest of the draft is producing, I think it’s safe to say he easily breaks into the top 15 if there was a redraft today. Maybe even in the 9-11 range. I’m not sure if I’d have him over Hayton (50/50 at this point), but I know with 100% certainty I’d pick him over players like Foudy, O’Brian, and Wahlstrom

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Looking at how the rest of the draft is producing, I think it’s safe to say he easily breaks into the top 15 if there was a redraft today. Maybe even in the 9-11 range. I’m not sure if I’d have him over Hayton (50/50 at this point), but I know with 100% certainty I’d pick him over players like Foudy, O’Brian, and Wahlstrom

Curious to get your opinion. If Veleno has risen to the 9-11 spot and Zadina likely falling a few positions, do you think it's possible that Veleno would go before Zadina in a redraft today?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Curious to get your opinion. If Veleno has risen to the 9-11 spot and Zadina likely falling a few positions, do you think it's possible that Veleno would go before Zadina in a redraft today?

Possible? Yes.

Likely? No. I think most still take Zadina due to what is seemingly a higher ceiling, however I could see a team rationalizing Veleno to fill a organizational need opposed to taking the BPA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad