Joe Thornton Tracking

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think some people are expecting alot from a $700,000 per year player.

I think it's the opposite. Your post is proof of that.

A lot of leaf fans are already labeling Jumbo "old and useless".

It's sad that fantasy hockey pools always dominate attitudes around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: aaron1111

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
What's more unbearable is injuries. Having to put someone as inexperienced as Robertson in to play on the 3rd line in a play in series was really sad for TOR. The same goes for when Muzzin got injured.

Nothing wrong with putting Robertson in that playin series. He seemed to be the only player who actually cared. If he is on the third line this year, then the Leafs will have a it more skill in their bottom 6.

Doesn't anyone want to win or do we just want Nylander to get his 30 goals to justify his contract?

I think in a close game we can expect to see one of these veteran players either to hold a lead or get a goal.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I think it's the opposite. Your post if proof of that.

A lot of leaf fans are already labeling Jumbo "old and useless".

It's sad that fantasy hockey pools always dominate attitudes around here.

Don't know about fantasy pools, TO has added two high profile older players who are on steep declines as far as their career results are concerned, their leadership might be their greatest asset at this point but they both came from bad teams where their leadership didn't seem invaluable and their on ice results were Thornton -19, Simmonds -21.

Neither players are fast, nor do/did they have reputations as defensive players, Thornton is 41 which is 3 years older than Marleau when he signed with TO. Essentially especially Thornton shouldn't be an anchor because his contract at less than $1 mil. is buriable if he doesn't prove useful in any way but it turns out that contracts signed by players over 35 are not buriable, some of Simmonds' contract is buriable.

Dubie is in a bind, TO needs cheap players but the bind will never be rectified by signing older or broken people who aren't really players any more. Big names doesn't always result in big players.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Don't know about fantasy pools, TO has added two high profile older players who are on steep declines as far as their career results are concerned, their leadership might be their greatest asset at this point but they both came from bad teams where their leadership didn't seem invaluable and their on ice results were Thornton -19, Simmonds -21.

Neither players are fast, nor do/did they have reputations as defensive players, Thornton is 41 which is 3 years older than Marleau when he signed with TO. Essentially especially Thornton shouldn't be an anchor because his contract at less than $1 mil. is buriable if he doesn't prove useful in any way but it turns out that contracts signed by players over 35 are not buriable, some of Simmonds' contract is buriable.

Dubie is in a bind, TO needs cheap players but the bind will never be rectified by signing older or broken people who aren't really players any more. Big names doesn't always result in big players.

Your second post is an elaboration of your earlier statement. Like I said a lot of people share your opinion about older players in the NHL.

Reactions: smitty10

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Umm… he is 41 years old. He is a 4th line C for us. I have seen him to “trolli-ish” things last couple of seasons, or am I wrong?
I don’t understand what we acquired him for then?
So I am scratching my head back at you.

I think he'll play higher in the lineup than 4c. He was a 3rd liner last season with thr Sharks

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Thr good thing is looks like he hasn't seemingly changed/decline from the last couple years, especially physically.

Thr Leafs just need to follow similar smart player management for icetime that they did with Spezza to get the most out of him

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Thr good thing is looks like he hasn't seemingly changed/decline from the last couple years, especially physically.

Thr Leafs just need to follow similar smart player management for icetime that they did with Spezza to get the most out of him

Smart player management, I think it would be better to have players that have potential for more populating the lineup instead of players that the coaches need to worry about overplaying.

What I thought was a problem for TO last year was that Spezza looked better than Johnsson and Kapanen. Kappy being elevated in the lineup was a waste, I'm certain Spezza could have been more productive offensively and no worse defensively.

Reactions: moon111

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What I thought was a problem for TO last year was that Spezza looked better than Johnsson and Kapanen. Kappy being elevated in the lineup was a waste, I'm certain Spezza could have been more productive offensively and no worse defensively.

Thought the same, puzzled me he wasn’t tried higher up on the wing, and take the draws on his strong side.

Lots of time I saw dubie put him on the ice for the face off and then go to the bench at first opportunity.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think he'll play higher in the lineup than 4c. He was a 3rd liner last season with thr Sharks

He struggled in that role though, to be fair to him the entire team blew so it's hard to look decent in that situation

I'm not sure what he is anymore, I'm going to need to see him playing games that count, it's been awhile since he was playing decent competition and he had something to play for

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He struggled in that role though, to be fair to him the entire team blew so it's hard to look decent in that situation

I'm not sure what he is anymore, I'm going to need to see him playing games that count, it's been awhile since he was playing decent competition and he had something to play for

Eh, that entire team was lousy.

I think they'll want to use his playmaking alongside guys who will have a chance of putting thr puck in the net.

But, I think coaches will be very selective about his usage. So he'll be more sheltered on thr Leafs, but will play more on the 3rd line than 4th imo

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Think there's a limit to how many players the Leafs can have that are destined to make it to the Hockey Hall of Fame before the NHL locks the players out. Probably won't even have a season all because of Joe Thorton.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Eh, that entire team was lousy.

I think they'll want to use his playmaking alongside guys who will have a chance of putting thr puck in the net.

But, I think coaches will be very selective about his usage. So he'll be more sheltered on thr Leafs, but will play more on the 3rd line than 4th imo

The problem is he's a center and our best goalscorers are centers as well so that does limit what you can do with him linemates wise ES, the PP is different but I'm not sure how keen Keefe will be to tinker with the top unit

I'd rather feed offensive usage to Matthews and Tavares, you only get so many opportunities to attack and I'd rather use our best offensive lines to do it

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I fail to see how Thornton hurts us. He is an upgrade on Gauthier and we are a fast team. Even if he plays 4th line 10 minutes a game. He wasn't brought in to carry this team. He may even be the 13th guy. I don't remember him ever being that fast. If he doesn't play well at 700 k you can pull him in and out of the lineup. But one thing I guarantee he is motivated and his presence can help Mathews who I think is the man, he just needs to mature.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
I think some people are expecting alot from a $700,000 per year player.

He would have been making more on any other team though.
And why are we judging bottom 6 players on cap hits? Joe is better Than many 2-3+ per 4th liners I can name. Would you prefer wasting cap space?
When a player gets a big contract it's an issue here. When a player takes the NHL minimum it's also an issue...

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

The highly paid and talented top 6 does the heavy lifting. The bottom 6 add character, experience, and low $$$ salary cap hits.
This is a sustainable model if the market continues to squeeze the bottom 6 players as it should. At least until the cap starts to move back up.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The thing I love about Joe is that he's still a 99th percentile passer in the NHL even at age 41. Even if he can't keep up to the speed like he used too, having that guy feed Matthews or Tavares the puck occasionally is never a bad thing.

Could get the puck to our bottom 6 guys in spots that we saw guys like Kapanen struggle to be able to as well.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I think Thornton will end up being a great signing, he's definitely still got more in the tank, still an elite playmaker, high hockey iq, he'd be a perfect 3rd line center to solidify that unit in a way Kadri did yet less physical and more skill.

He'll be huge for your younger players who can learn from a legend, it'll only help Matthews game. Thornton is a legend, & the whole team will help from that experience.

He has experience in the playoffs and is a good character guy in the locker-room.

Anyone who laughs at the Bogosian signing doesn't know him like I do. He's actually a very solid #6 who can play well with a good decision-making partner.

Put him with an elite #1 and he's passable as a top 4 d-man.

Problem is he can be apt to make mistakes under pressure but playing him in the role he'll be will be huge. He won the cup, adds more composure and poise to the Leafs playoff time. AND he's one of the strongest/physical players there is which is very underrated, especially on a team wanting to be more physical.

I know that, if he's deployed, how he should be, he will make Leafs fans happy.

People #### on Vesey but honestly for a team like Toronto with a tight cap he's perfect, he didn't have enough skill to play with in Buffalo. He can probably score about 20 on Toronto with more skill to play with. He's not blazing fast or a huge play driver but he doesn't have to be.

He's solid defensively and seems to always make the right play.

If Vesey played with Marner for example I can see him get 25 goals at least.

If he has a natural complement on his line, that'll turn to be one of the best signings this year.

Yes, they're more depth signings, but depth is what wins championships.

Lots more playoff experience and more physical. Reasons for optimism and excitement.

Good job guys and good luck!
I think Leafs make it at least 2nd round this time and probably more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad