Injury Report: Joe Thornton to miss "some time" | Update Jan 22; out 4 weeks (rib fracture)

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Engvall would be our best option to call up. I personally think he deserve to be on that 4th line to begin with but not sure if the salary cap works out. I would like to see Anderson get a look but I could see it going to Boyd.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
I mean, I'm glad that Keefe will be forced to stop misusing Thornton.

However, I am sad that Thornton won't be available for our third of fourth line.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I like to see Anderson so we can see if it was worth giving up Andreas Johnsson in that trade.

I guess there is also Barabanov. Almost forgot about him. Think the Leafs should try and use Lehtonen and Barabanov a little bit more regularly. I liked Lehtonen tonight, and generally those KHL guys deserve an audition.

Reactions: banks

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Mikheyev - Tavares - Nylander
Vesey - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Brooks* - Spezza - Anderson

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Bogosian
Lehtonen*

6/7 D*

Reactions: leafsgirl12

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tough loss with Robertson also sidelined. Wonder who replaces Thornton at ES and on the PP?

Reactions: banks

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Somebody competitive who can win board battles would be useful

Unfortunately those type of guys aren't exactly thick on the ground right now

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Hopefully this forces Keefe to put PP1 back into play
Mitch, Matthews, JT, Willy, Reilly.

Cobble together PP2
Spezza, Kerfoot, Simmonds, Muzz and Lehtonen. The new NHL fad making a come back of using 2D on the PP

Yeah, the forward entering the lineup for Thornton probably won't be the PP type. Brodie (or Muzzin) seems like a good choice for the PP (PP2). I figure we'll see the stacked PP1 too.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think Simmonds is a better fit on the top line than Thornton. With both Robertson and Thornton out, we will need more forwards.

Simmonds Matthews Marner
Vesey Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Hyman
Barabanov Spezza Anderson

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian

Campbell
Andersen

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I think Simmonds is a better fit on the top line than Thornton. With both Robertson and Thornton out, we will need more forwards.

Simmonds Matthews Marner
Vesey Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Hyman
Barabanov Spezza Anderson

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian

Campbell
Andersen
Lol ew. Simmonds is just brutal. At least Thornton still has hands and hockey iq, I'm not sure what Simmonds has at this point. Hyman should be on that line for good now, move up Mikheyev to the 2nd line, get Anderson on the 3rd line or Engvall, start sitting Simmonds too.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Lol ew. Simmonds is just brutal. At least Thornton still has hands and hockey iq, I'm not sure what Simmonds has at this point. Hyman should be on that line for good now, move up Mikheyev to the 2nd line, get Anderson on the 3rd line or Engvall, start sitting Simmonds too.

Simmonds has net front presence and will create room for Matthews and Marner to do their thing. He is no slower than Thornton.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Simmonds has net front presence and will create room for Matthews and Marner to do their thing. He is no slower than Thornton.
New front presence is super over rated, and I'm not sure just mentioning that as a trait for a player you put on the first line, and nothing else is a good thing. Thornton can actually play a cycle well, and can handle a puck; Simmonds plays the puck like a grenade, it's brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->