Friedman: Joe Thornton considering a trade

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Really don't know how much he has left in the tank. Guy is like a million years old. Always liked Joe, hope he can go to a contender. Boston, Washington, and Tampa could all use him, he'd be great for a 2nd PP 4th line role.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That is a faulty assumption. He's had effective playoff rounds since then. It's just about the matchups and who he is playing with. May not be a fit for Pittsburgh but to paint with such a broad brush like that is silly.

Agree to disagree. I don't think he's an impact player worth bringing in.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Thornton isn't what he was, but as long as you don't put him on a line with absolute trash(like what is happening in SJ) he will be effective. Right now he's on a 2nd line with LaBanc and rotating 3rd/4th liners.

If you put him on a 3rd line with other passable 3rd liners you won't be disappointed. People are talking like he'll either cost a lot, or he's garbage, and neither of those things are true.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I think Pittsburgh would actually be a horrible fit for him. Brendan Morrow redux

I like Joe and still hope he can hoist a cup, but he would never fit with the Pens team speed style, imo.

I was going to say the same thing about the Lightning - including the reference to Morrow.:laugh:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I think Boston is a natural fit. What a story line that would be if he wins a cup with Boston.

Would be karma returning the favour they did for Colorado when they traded Bourque to the Avalanche so he could win his first and only Stanley Cup.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I cannot say I’ve seen Thornton play a lot, so I’m speaking purely from my ass but

if he can play any defense and can skate even a little bit he’d be an upgrade on the Isles current 3C slot
His skating is still pretty average if you ask me. Top speed is fine, still very strong on his skates, but not a lot of burst anymore.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If Thornton is traded -- I'd imagine he's picking his destination.... so I'd put teams like Pittsburgh, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Vegas on the outside -- he's not going to pass up a chance to pick his destination at the deadline for these teams. Then, it has to be a team who's style he'd mesh with. That puts a team like Colorado out.

I think the logical possibilities are Boston, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, and Washington. Personally, I think the fit is best in Boston, and as a Leaf fan, the thought of Boston getting him is downright scary, so here's hoping that there's still some bad blood left over.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Not that I have much interest in either but between the two I’d be more interested in Marleau for the Bolts. The last thing we need is another pass-first forward on the team and we’d be more interested in adding depth on the wing than at center.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Love how sharks fans act like nobody else has watched him play this year or last playoffs

The "eye test" community all agree outside of silicon valley that Thornton looks all kinds of finished and that's stating this in late january. He's only going to look worse as the season progresses and deeper into any kind of playoff run

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->