Friedman: Joe Thornton considering a trade

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Edmonton desperately needs a 3C. We have Riley Sheahan there right now. Is Jumbo still able to produce a bit of offence?

Jun 27, 2005
I find it funny that Thornton, Marleau and Spezza all have 19 points.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel like Oilers, Boston or avalanche would probably be best options

if joe gets traded ill even cheer for him to win a cup, hell id hope the sharks package marleau and joe together... and they both win a cup away from san jose.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
In the right fit, Thornton would be a phenomenal 3/4 C. There’s not too many right fits, but he could be a difference maker. Boston, Vegas, St. Louis, and NYI seem like the best fits.

Vegas would suck but DeBoer adores Joe, and I like Joe so much I’d stifle my vomit long enough to be happy if he won a cup.

on Marleau, literally any team can use him. ~15 goals, plays every forward position, and can play up and down the line-up. Need size, need skill, need speed, need defensive awareness he’s got it all. He’s a third liner, but a good one, and dirt cheap.

I hope we move them both. There’s nothing I want to see more than those two hoist the cup in teal, but it’s not happening this year. They have another year in them as four liners (Patty probably has two), but even with some bad contracts coming off the books, not sure Wilson can acquire the pieces to make them a contender this offseason.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
so he's basically only useful to push the puck up ice to a guy breaking the zone two lines away and have to hope he gets behind or beats the D 1:1 and buries it past the goalie? because Jumbo is almost ALWAYS behind the play now

let me know how many opportunities a game he will get for that in the playoffs

Even if that was true having a guy who can run the transition from tour own blueline to the other team offensive zone is a huge skill and has value.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I still say San Jose will make the playoffs...

In fact - it would be hilarious if Thornton gets traded
San Jose makes the playoffs, and wins the cup, but without Thornton

Reactions: Mikenusca

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'd like to see Thornton with Draisaitl. Both guys just have that size and raw strength to hold the puck at the boards forever.

That duo would grind you into pieces on the boards. Just nasty.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
#getjumboacup
solo-red-cups-original-16oz-50cl.jpg

Reactions: Neutrinos

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I actually think he would fit well on a 3rd line with a slow, Cup contending Bruins team.

If the past can be ignored, it’s a decent fit.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
It's been stated (by someone who knows) on the Bruins board that Thornton will never again wear a Bruins jersey while Harry Sinden is still alive (and Sinden is still an "advisor" to Jeremy Jacobs).

Reactions: Gee Wally

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I feel like Oilers, Boston or avalanche would probably be best options

if joe gets traded ill even cheer for him to win a cup, hell id hope the sharks package marleau and joe together... and they both win a cup away from san jose.

He wants a cup, why would he go to the Oilers? Likely he wants to go to the Blues, Bruins, Bolts, etc. Someone who has been there and has a real shot. The upper tier of teams.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Boston looks strong, is there any chance they would take him back for a fair price whatever that is? Would he even fit their system?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad