May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
31 Thoughts: Maple Leafs' fortunes will decide deadline approach - Sportsnet.ca

upload_2020-1-29_11-17-16.png

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
"
"Joe Thornton opened the door to the possibility of a trade, but told San Jose-area reporters he would need to think about it first. My guess is this: The only way the Sharks would even consider it is if it came at his request."

This is just echoing an article a few days ago by The Athletic. Thornton wants to see how the team does and stated "ask me again in two weeks".

Bond

May 10, 2012
Makes sense, trade him for a low pick or something. He should be able to fit on most teams capwise

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Honest question because I literally have not noticed him in the few times I've watched the Sharks this year: does he even have much to offer a contender at this point?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
He for sure has something to offer a contender. Stick him on the third line with a fast sniper and you will be glad to have him.
so he's basically only useful to push the puck up ice to a guy breaking the zone two lines away and have to hope he gets behind or beats the D 1:1 and buries it past the goalie? because Jumbo is almost ALWAYS behind the play now

let me know how many opportunities a game he will get for that in the playoffs

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
so he's basically only useful to push the puck up ice to a guy breaking the zone two lines away and have to hope he gets behind or beats the D 1:1 and buries it past the goalie? because Jumbo is almost ALWAYS behind the play now

let me know how many opportunities a game he will get for that in the playoffs
That’s just wrong. How much have you seen Jumbo over the years? Even now he makes the game slow down around him, yes he gets beat in foot races but I’ll tell you he doesn’t lose the puck that often unless he wants to

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
That’s just wrong. How much have you seen Jumbo over the years? Even now he makes the game slow down around him, yes he gets beat in foot races but I’ll tell you he doesn’t lose the puck that often unless he wants to

he looked completely lost and out of gas last playoff, especially once pavelski got injured

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
he looked completely lost and out of gas last playoff, especially once pavelski got injured

Agreed but he was mostly playing with Sorensen and Labanc who simply weren't good against good teams at evens. You put better players on his wing then you'll probably get more out of them. He just can't be asked to carry the mail for his line entirely on his own. If you put at least one guy that can hold onto the puck in the attacking zone as well then you can utilize his passing ability better. Sorensen and Labanc weren't winning many puck battles with Thornton.

Reactions: themelkman

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
If the cost is minimal, and it sounds like it is, I’d take a flyer with him on the Jets. Although we’re hardly contenders right now so don’t see the interest from his side unless we make a bit of a run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad