Joe Thornton all time leaders watch.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Starting the stat counting from 2005, which takes out 6 seasons of thorntons production. And more then half of those years being years well past his prime.

Thornton is still 3rd in scoring behind only ovechkin and crosby.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I would take Thornton over many on the list.

If a player such as Crosby is deserving, then the mere fact that Thornton has produced more points in a similar era proves how good and deserving he is of similar recognition. He is absolutely a top 100 player all-time. You can argue if he is top 10 or top 50, but a player that’s top 7 in assists all time that doesn’t make the top 100 list is kind of ridiculous.

I think the idea that Thornton is a top-50 player (much less top 10!) of all time is a nonsensical one.

I don't think Ron Francis or Adam Oates should make the top-100 either (although Francis might have a better case than Thornton).

Getzlaf.... really?

Over those ten years, Getzlaf clearly has the lesser regular-season resume, but his playoff resume is clearly stronger. Thornton doesn't have a run to match up with what Getzlaf did in 2007, 2015, or even 2009.

Starting the stat counting from 2005, which takes out 6 seasons of Thornton's production. And more then half of those years being years well past his prime.

Thornton is still 3rd in scoring behind only Ovechkin and Crosby.

And? Being the top-100 player has to be more about just longevity and showing up. Not to mention all the goalies and defensemen you are losing just looking at scoring numbers. I would incontrovertibly take Kopitar, Kane, Malkin, Datsyuk, Bergeron, and arguably Zetterberg over Thornton from 2005 onwards.

Last edited:

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
I think the idea that Thornton is a top-50 player (much less top 10!) of all time is a nonsensical one.

I don't think Ron Francis or Adam Oates should make the top-100 either (although Francis might have a better case than Thornton).

I’m not trying to speculate where to place him. It’s too subjective. Just trying to point out that when you’re top 7 all time in assists should ensure you at least make it to top 100.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I’m not trying to speculate where to place him. It’s too subjective. Just trying to point out that when you’re top 7 all time in assists should ensure you at least make it to top 100.

I'd disagree because the top-100 is not about longevity, but about greatness. I wouldn't put Oates or Francis there either.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I know it’s coming eventually, but I am not emotionally ready for Jumbo to retire. I hope they give him a spot on the bench as an assistant coach or something. That way we can still get him on post game interviews. Guy is everything a hockey player should be. Just an absolute treasure.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm really happy for Jumbo. Hope he retires a Shark and is a first ballot HHOFer.

If the hall of fame does not select thornton on his 1st time barring of course something stupid like crosby, oveckin, jagr, being in his class. Then they really need to start over with the entire thing because it is no longer what a hall of fame should be.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
If the hall of fame does not select thornton on his 1st time barring of course something stupid like crosby, oveckin, jagr, being in his class. Then they really need to start over with the entire thing because it is no longer what a hall of fame should be.

He’s 10000% gonna be a first ballot hall of famer. Any other outcome is unacceptable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad