Joe Thornton all time leaders watch.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Really a shame about missing 116 possible games due to the lockout in his prime.

I think he would likely have anywhere from 135-165 extra points on his total with about 100-130 more assists

Even if he had those points, he still wouldn't be a top 100 player ever. :sarcasm:

He is seven points away from sole possession of 14th on the all-time points list.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
With the hat trick, Jumbo passes Ray Ferraro and Patrik Elias at 90th all-time in goals, and ties Ray Bourque for 89th.

So thornton is only 59 spots back of marleau. That just seems so odd, considering how far apart they actually are in goals lol.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Thornton ties Adam Oates for 7th all-time in assists at 1,079

No other active player has even 800. The only active player to even have 700 is Crosby.
It's gonna be a while before anybody hits 1000 assists again. Crosby could do it but he lost a lot of time too. McDavid probably does it eventually but that's at least a decade down the road. I can't imagine who else could do it.

Reactions: goflyakite

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
It will be nice if he could get to 1100 as only 6 other players have done that and not sure anybody else will. To put it in perspective, over a 15 year career you would have to average over 73 assists a season to reach 1100. McDavid the best player in the world today has had only 2 70+ assists seasons out of his 5(70, and 75). Though he is on pace for 80+ this season. Right now not counting this season he averages 48 assists a season. Then you have to take into account that a player regresses abit after 30.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
It's gonna be a while before anybody hits 1000 assists again. Crosby could do it but he lost a lot of time too. McDavid probably does it eventually but that's at least a decade down the road. I can't imagine who else could do it.
Maybe Backstrom? Has 663 assists in 927 games and he’s only 32.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It will be nice if he could get to 1100 as only 6 other players have done that and not sure anybody else will. To put it in perspective, over a 15 year career you would have to average over 73 assists a season to reach 1100. McDavid the best player in the world today has had only 2 70+ assists seasons out of his 5(70, and 75). Though he is on pace for 80+ this season. Right now not counting this season he averages 48 assists a season. Then you have to take into account that a player regresses abit after 30.
I think Joe will do it. He'll have a strong 2nd half and finish around 1090, then will sign for his last 1 yr deal next season. That's when he and Patty call it, imo.

Reactions: goflyakite and Phu

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016
Just imagine how many more points he would of had if it weren’t for those lockout years. At least another 100+ assists

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Just imagine how many more points he would of had if it weren’t for those lockout years. At least another 100+ assists

Really, though, that never ends. Guys like Shore and Denneny didn't get 82 game seasons. Howe played in a very low-scoring era. Thornton gets secondary assists.

One day I should make a top 100 list. I wonder if JT will be on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikenusca

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Sadly Jumbo appears to be producing less this year, i know allot of it is team's overall performance.
Some of it is him i'd say. Be interested to see if 1) we trade him to a playoff team at the deadline,
2) and if he plays again next season.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If you have to wonder if JT would be on your top-100 list, then it probably isn't worth the effort in making.

One way to think about it...roughly 100 years of hockey. To start with, in any ten-season-span, is Thornton a top-10 player? Let's clarify that the best 10-year-periods for Thornton are from 1999-2010, and 2005-2015 season.

For that first period, even though they played fewer games, I still take Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, and Forsberg over Thornton because of their utter dominance in 300+ games. Jagr is closer in games played and was a better player, and Sakic has the numerous playoff runs. Looking at defenses, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, and Pronger are hands-down more deserving than Thornton. In goal, I'd take Brodeur.

That's ten greater players right there. After that, there are still players who have a case against Thornton: Kovalchuk, Iginla, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Leetch, Zubov, MacInnis, Roy, Hasek, Luongo, and Giguere to name a few. Personally, I'd still take Iginla and Roy over Thornton, if just barely.

Let us take 2006-2015. Again, Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin are easy choices. Datsyuk and Zetterberg should be ahead of Thornton for defensive and playoff play. Among defensemen, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, and Karlsson have to get the nod. In net, Lundqvist is just ahead of Thornton.

So here, Thornton might have a case. But still, you have players like Iginla, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Kane, Toews, St. Louis, Kovalchuk, Staal, Jagr, Subban, Doughty, Luongo, Quick, Thomas, and Fleury. On the strength of playoff performances, and without thinking much about it, I still take Kopitar, Kane, Toews, and Quick over Thornton.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
One way to think about it...roughly 100 years of hockey. To start with, in any ten-season-span, is Thornton a top-10 player? Let's clarify that the best 10-year-periods for Thornton are from 1999-2010, and 2005-2015 season.

For that first period, even though they played fewer games, I still take Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, and Forsberg over Thornton because of their utter dominance in 300+ games. Jagr is closer in games played and was a better player, and Sakic has the numerous playoff runs. Looking at defenses, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, and Pronger are hands-down more deserving than Thornton. In goal, I'd take Brodeur.

That's ten greater players right there. After that, there are still players who have a case against Thornton: Kovalchuk, Iginla, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Leetch, Zubov, MacInnis, Roy, Hasek, Luongo, and Giguere to name a few. Personally, I'd still take Iginla and Roy over Thornton, if just barely.

Let us take 2006-2015. Again, Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin are easy choices. Datsyuk and Zetterberg should be ahead of Thornton for defensive and playoff play. Among defensemen, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, and Karlsson have to get the nod. In net, Lundqvist is just ahead of Thornton.

So here, Thornton might have a case. But still, you have players like Iginla, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Kane, Toews, St. Louis, Kovalchuk, Staal, Jagr, Subban, Doughty, Luongo, Quick, Thomas, and Fleury. On the strength of playoff performances, and without thinking much about it, I still take Kopitar, Kane, Toews, and Quick over Thornton.

I would take Thornton over many on the list.

If a player such as Crosby is deserving, then the mere fact that Thornton has produced more points in a similar era proves how good and deserving he is of similar recognition. He is absolutely a top 100 player all time. You can argue if he is top 10 or top 50, but a player that’s top 7 in assists all time that doesn’t make the top 100 list is kind of ridiculous.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Thornton has a 10 year period where he leads the league in scoring. Not having him in your top 100 is criminally underrating him regardless of his faults.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->