Joe Stejskal, Andrew Conboy and Scott Kishel

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Hey There, I was wondering if there are any fans out there who have some insight on the Americans selected by the Habs, especially the three Minnesota boys from the late rounds: Joe Stejskal, Andrew Conboy, and Scott Kishel?
I have seen McDonagh from the W-U18 tourney (he looked good!), but I haven't seen or heard much about the other three. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Joe Stejskal is a big strong kid with a mean streak. Nothing special in his game. A stay at home defensemen.

Again a broken record with the MNHS league. Yes Erik Rasmussen was a physical force and it did not translate. Its also the same league that Ballard, Oshie, Erik Johnson, Mueller played in too. So i do not want to sound like what he did in high school is average and anyone who is anyone can do it. Nor do i want to sound like he was a rock for a solid Grand Rapids team and he will have success based on that. He is a project and if he fills out and can continue his style. He may be a servicable 5-7 d man one day.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was trying to figure out why Conboy isn't going to Nebraska-Omaha next year, just wondering. Also I read that the Portland Winterhawks were trying to get him to play for them, any chance that happens?

Kishel put up good numbers, guess I will be following the USHL next year. I think I saw Stejskal as I know I saw Grand Rapids this year but I don't recall him and while I taped some games I can't find any GR games. I will be watching him at Dartmouth next year though as I've been watching the Big Green for the past 3 years since JT Wyman has been on the team.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Joe Stejskal is a big strong kid with a mean streak. Nothing special in his game. A stay at home defensemen.

... Nor do i want to sound like he was a rock for a solid Grand Rapids team and he will have success based on that. He is a project and if he fills out and can continue his style. He may be a servicable 5-7 d man one day.

Thanks mn_g. Grand Rapids went to the finals in the high school hockey tourney, vs. Cretin-Durham, right? How did Stejskal play in the playoffs? Did he step his game up a notch? Was he one of the leaders?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm intrigued by Conboy.

Timmins has said more than once that he loves players who increase their production in their draft years.

Season Team League GP G A PTS PIM
2004-05 Victory Honda Midget MWEHL 22 1 3 4 68
2005-06 Wichita Falls Wildcats NAHL 51 7 8 15 158
2006-07 Omaha Lancers USHL 56 25 25 50 105

That's quite an increase in production.. He's a big kid, on our left side.. with Pacioretty and Latendresse.. pretty scary.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Thanks mn_g. Grand Rapids went to the finals in the high school hockey tourney, vs. Cretin-Durham, right? How did Stejskal play in the playoffs? Did he step his game up a notch? Was he one of the leaders?

The played Cretin two years ago in the championship. This year they lost to Roseau. On the way to finals last year they best Roseau. This year on the way they beat Cloquet and Edina. In a one series when white was healthy Grand Rapids might have been the best team in the state. Stejskal stepped up as much as he could. He is not a difference maker but he played very well defensivly. He did anything he could to help his team win. By example he did lead. The problem with some AA teams is they are not that deep. After three games in three days it took its toll on a not deep Rapids team. And after winning close games to get the finals they looked gased.

Last edited:

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
I was trying to figure out why Conboy isn't going to Nebraska-Omaha next year, just wondering. Also I read that the Portland Winterhawks were trying to get him to play for them, any chance that happens?

Kishel put up good numbers, guess I will be following the USHL next year. I think I saw Stejskal as I know I saw Grand Rapids this year but I don't recall him and while I taped some games I can't find any GR games. I will be watching him at Dartmouth next year though as I've been watching the Big Green for the past 3 years since JT Wyman has been on the team.

I think Omaha already had all of their spots filled/scholarship money allotted when Conboy committed.

I really like Stejskal as a prospect. He's going to be a really nice pick.

I'm not as sure with Kishel. He's got talent, but he's got a long ways to go as a hockey player before pro hockey becomes a consideration.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Hey There, I was wondering if there are any fans out there who have some insight on the Americans selected by the Habs, especially the three Minnesota boys from the late rounds: Joe Stejskal, Andrew Conboy, and Scott Kishel?

Kishel and Stejskal are almost polar opposites. Kishel is an offensive defenseman. Not very big, not very physical. But handles the puck well and is a nice skater.

Stejskal is big, physical, and likes to hit. He isn't as good handling the puck and making plays but he does have a good hard shot and makes use of it on one timers.

I would doubt Kishel makes it the to NHL but I think Stejskal has a decent chance to make it.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Thanks for the comments mn_g and others. It really helps guys like me (and I'm sure a lot of other Montrealers) who don't get a chance to see these guys play. Please keep em coming.

I haven't heard much about Conboy - I guess he played in Omaha of the USHL. Anybody see what kind of player he is? His stats don't look too bad 25 goals and 50 points.

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
I'm intrigued by Conboy.

Timmins has said more than once that he loves players who increase their production in their draft years.

Season Team League GP G A PTS PIM
2004-05 Victory Honda Midget MWEHL 22 1 3 4 68
2005-06 Wichita Falls Wildcats NAHL 51 7 8 15 158
2006-07 Omaha Lancers USHL 56 25 25 50 105

That's quite an increase in production.. He's a big kid, on our left side.. with Pacioretty and Latendresse.. pretty scary.

This is what I'm always looking for in a prospect too. If he doubles his numbers, it's usually a very, VERY good sign and you are right to be high on Conboy. Successful NHLers often follow this trend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->