Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part III (Updates in First Post)

How would you rate the job Joe Sakic has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
I'm not a huge JT Compher fan either, but I don't get this.

Last 4 NHL seasons - Compher and Donskoi , which one is which?
View attachment 454825

View attachment 454826

Yeah, I can figure it out too, but only because last season Compher had a worse than normal year, which he picked up at the end when he was finally moved to wing instead of centre. He was also playing further down the lineup (rightfully). Let's stop acting like Donskoi is miles above Compher. He's not. He's also older, and makes a bit more money. JT isn't necessarily the greatest when he does other roles, but he is at least flexible in that he is capable of lining up at centre and killing penalties, and he can certainly antagonize.

I'd still trade Compher, don't get me wrong, but it's not like he is being paid 6 million a year or something. And if you think Donskoi is 'worth it', why would you think Compher is not?
Compher is the bottom one - and he was settling at that 10-15 goal area getting a lot of opportunities to expand his role. He eventually settled his role as a 4th liner and that was becoming his ceiling on this team despite being given shots on lines 2 and 3 and PP time. He was so inconsistent that we went and got Soderberg again.

Donskoi was at least scoring a bit on PP and in his streaky 5x5 play despite the musical chairs we had on lines 2 and 3 and a disappointing season from Kadri. He looked like he belonged on line 2 for the most part when given the chance and I agree his stats bear out that he was mediocre in that role - but Compher just kept falling. Even Compher's grit play was weak - he wasn't finishing checks like LOC. And our PK was tough until LOC/Calvert went out and once Compher was put in that role it got worse - a lot worse. I'll revise my comment to say that Compher's deal had turned bad in just this last season, there was promise to satisfy your optimism. He could have been more than a JAG in the end he is a JAG.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Compher is the bottom one - and he was settling at that 10-15 goal area getting a lot of opportunities to expand his role. He eventually settled his role as a 4th liner and that was becoming his ceiling on this team despite being given shots on lines 2 and 3 and PP time. He was so inconsistent that we went and got Soderberg again.

Donskoi was at least scoring a bit on PP and in his streaky 5x5 play despite the musical chairs we had on lines 2 and 3 and a disappointing season from Kadri. He looked like he belonged on line 2 for the most part when given the chance and I agree his stats bear out that he was mediocre in that role - but Compher just kept falling. Even Compher's grit play was weak - he wasn't finishing checks like LOC. And our PK was tough until LOC/Calvert went out and once Compher was put in that role it got worse - a lot worse. I'll revise my comment to say that Compher's deal had turned bad in just this last season, there was promise to satisfy your optimism. He could have been more than a JAG in the end he is a JAG.

Yet Compher was the one replacing Kadri in the Playoffs... Not Jost, not Newhook, not Soderberg, not PEB... Amazing how Bednar is dumber than a bunch of internet geeks... FIRE HIM!

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Yet Compher was the one replacing Kadri in the Playoffs... Not Jost, not Newhook, not Soderberg, not PEB... Amazing how Bednar is dumber than a bunch of internet geeks... FIRE HIM!

That doesn't make Compher underrated...Compher did NOTHING with that role. And him replacing Kadri was more because Bednar didn't want to mess with the other lines that were working.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm not a huge JT Compher fan either, but I don't get this.

Last 4 NHL seasons - Compher and Donskoi , which one is which?
View attachment 454825

View attachment 454826

Yeah, I can figure it out too, but only because last season Compher had a worse than normal year, which he picked up at the end when he was finally moved to wing instead of centre. He was also playing further down the lineup (rightfully). Let's stop acting like Donskoi is miles above Compher. He's not. He's also older, and makes a bit more money. JT isn't necessarily the greatest when he does other roles, but he is at least flexible in that he is capable of lining up at centre and killing penalties, and he can certainly antagonize.

I'd still trade Compher, don't get me wrong, but it's not like he is being paid 6 million a year or something. And if you think Donskoi is 'worth it', why would you think Compher is not?

J.T. Compher hit a wall in the middle of the 2019-2020 season. He had 23 points the first 41 games of that season, and then his game suddenly went down hill and hasn't recovered.

Since January 10th 2020, these are his numbers:

74GP14G12A26P
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It's 4th line production from a player making 3rd line money on a team with salary cap issues. And that's just offensive production. He clearly has hockey IQ issues and no longer plays the pest role he did in yesteryear.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
J.T. Compher hit a wall in the middle of the 2019-2020 season. He had 23 points the first 41 games of that season, and then his game suddenly went down hill and hasn't recovered.

Since January 10th 2020, these are his numbers:

74GP14G12A26P
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It's 4th line production from a player making 3rd line money on a team with salary cap issues. And that's just offensive production. He clearly has hockey IQ issues and no longer plays the pest role he did in yesteryear.

His career arc reminds me more than a little of T.J. Galiardi's. He too seemed like the perfect utility man, then he got injured one too many times and never recovered.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
His career arc reminds me more than a little of T.J. Galiardi's. He too seemed like the perfect utility man, then he got injured one too many times and never recovered.

The difference was that Gali knew his role, and performed it well. The coaches didn't play him over his head.

Compher on the other hand thinks he's a top-6 forward, but produces like a 4th liner and doesn't seem to have a role he excels at. He can't win faceoffs, and he's a below average pker. And Bednar likes to just insert him into any hole we happen to have, when he's no Palat/Killorn.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The difference was that Gali knew his role, and performed it well. The coaches didn't play him over his head.

Compher on the other hand thinks he's a top-6 forward, but produces like a 4th liner and doesn't seem to have a role he excels at. He can't win gaceogfs and he's a below average pker. And Bednar likes to just insert him into any hole we happen to have, when he's no Palat/Killorn.

Well, he kinda bounced between 4th line C and top line winger with Stewart and Stastny, so there's a lot of parallels. I still say after that really serious elbow injury he was never the same, and fell out of favor with Sacco pretty quickly.

Compher started out well enough and had that penchant for clutch goals, I'm not sure what exactly happened, because that seems to have disappeared. I just think he needs a change of scenery and yeah, he's a big-time blind spot for Bednar, who just refuses to admit the guy has more or less stalled in his development and just doesn't have much utility.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I see another similarity in that Galiardi seemed to try to play different styles under Sacco, like he wasn't sure what Sacco wanted from him. He was at his best when he was a pest that would create havoc around the net and get under the oppositions skin. But he wouldn't always play that way, sometimes he tried to be a perimeter offensive player.

Compher has the same issues. He's also at his best when he creates havoc around the net and plays the pest role. But similar to Gali, he also tries to play an offensive role around the perimeter too much, when he should just acknowledge he's a bottom sixer in the NHL, and play with a gritty style a lot more often than he does.

He's not going to carve out a role in the NHL with his offense. He's going to carve out a role as a gritty hard working two way player. But he needs to improve his defense and play with grit more consistently to do so.

Reactions: Pokecheque

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Sakic's strength seems to be building a solid team....I dunno how good a GM he is at making proactive on-the-fly moves which we really need after those past two playoffs. Patience is generally good but I think it'll bite us here.

We're into the off-season now and he needs to add a couple of "playoff" guys to our bottom-9 and so far he hasn't made a trade for one. I don't like the odds of doing it via FA since guys like Goodrow and Denault are all gonna require overpays. This is where a Landeskog sign-and-trade comes into play or trading JTC while sweetening the pot and I don't think Sakic is the sorta guy to do this. Hope I'm wrong but I don't like the chances, we'll see.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
We're into the off-season now and he needs to add a couple of "playoff" guys to our bottom-9 and so far he hasn't made a trade for one. I don't like the odds of doing it via FA since guys like Goodrow and Denault are all gonna require overpays. This is where a Landeskog sign-and-trade comes into play or trading JTC while sweetening the pot and I don't think Sakic is the sorta guy to do this. Hope I'm wrong but I don't like the chances, we'll see.

What exactly do you expect to get in a Landeskog “sign-and-trade” scenario?

A 7th round pick?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What exactly do you expect to get in a Landeskog “sign-and-trade” scenario?

A 7th round pick?
Probably a lower price on a player you're trading for on the team Landeskog goes to. A cap-strapped team like NYI could benefit a lot from a lower aav with that 8th year.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Probably a lower price on a player you're trading for on the team Landeskog goes to. A cap-strapped team like NYI could benefit a lot from a lower aav with that 8th year.

Not happening in the NHL.

Leafs don’t even want a 7th round pick to give Hyman an 8th year with Edmonton.

It’s fun to talk about, it won’t happen.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Maybe he is better in situation when he can wait out for good offers but if he needs to act fast he stumbles?

Not impressed by today's deal that's for sure.

He couldn't find that sweetheart deal this summer so he ended up panicking.

Hopefully this is too early criticism because he might still come out with a rabbit in his hat but who knows. I expect more moves now. Some big ones. Something which will improve us for real.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
We don't know Sakic panicked. He paid what it took to get the guy he wanted. Sure the payment was above what anyone might have wanted but that's what it took, supply-demand elevated the cost. He got a deal done for what he and his pro scouts deemed the best goaltender available at the time. Just because the cost was higher than normal it doesn't mean it was a panic move. It was the best player available as far as I'm concerned. Kuemper has been a nightmare to play against at times. People were saying gru would never lead us to a cup, but then that we should have paid above the odds for him, but that we should have moved on from him quicker and got a different goaltender earlier in the day. Gru waited Sakic out so we couldn't move on quicker, and we couldn't sign him for what his demands were so we got the best we could. I'm happy to give Sakic the benefit of the doubt to see how this plays out.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Well Avs have almost 9m in cap space with only Jost left to re sign so there better be something else significant done or else this off season was a total failure. And the makar contract is pretty bad for term wise. Makar goes straight to Ufa now with only 1 Ufa year being bought. The same deal as A Matthew ffs

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Time to downgrade the rating?
- waited to sign our guys till the 11th hour
- lost out on pretty much all the cheaper depth options
- paid our best trade chips for a lateral move or downgrade in net. No assets left to improve 2C/RHD
- didn’t shore up center depth
- lost forward depth
- lost defensive depth
- didn’t get our first protected trading for the most injury prone goalie in the league
- multiple cap casualties in a year we still have 9.5 of dead cap in EJ and Compher

Reactions: ItsFineImFine

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Well Avs have almost 9m in cap space with only Jost left to re sign so there better be something else significant done or else this off season was a total failure. And the makar contract is pretty bad for term wise. Makar goes straight to Ufa now with only 1 Ufa year being bought. The same deal as A Matthew ffs
I don't know how you get to $9M... maybe without the bonus excess and not with a 23 man roster ?
But with those, there is $4.8M left to re-sign Jost. So maybe $3M left to upgrade a $900K player into a $3.9M player. Or more likely they'll upgrade a $900K player int a $2.5M player and keep the rest for later.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
No Crouse.

R.8676a90fdf3bed060e373e82c573e681

Reactions: shadow1

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dunno...this was going to be a rough offseason no matter what. Signing Landeskog at the 11th hour is a plus for sure, overpaying to fill the void left by Grubauer is not.

Plus, we're still waiting to see them address the issue that has played the largest part in their early playoff exits the last three postseasons--a lack of depth up front, particularly at center. That HAS to be addressed somehow. Joe cannot keep avoiding this.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I dunno...this was going to be a rough offseason no matter what. Signing Landeskog at the 11th hour is a plus for sure, overpaying to fill the void left by Grubauer is not.

Plus, we're still waiting to see them address the issue that has played the largest part in their early playoff exits the last three postseasons--a lack of depth up front, particularly at center. That HAS to be addressed somehow. Joe cannot keep avoiding this.

It literally can’t be addressed though. We don’t have assets to trade, or imminent impact players in the pipeline, or cap space, or players willing to take less to play here. This is the crew we’re going to have to roll with

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->