Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part III (Updates in First Post)

How would you rate the job Joe Sakic has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Anyone who hasn't voted #5 at this point should be ashamed of themselves.

Hear, hear my friend. What he's built (or building) which isn't being spoken about as much as it should in my view, is sustainability.
He's building a team that can remain a benchmark for many years to come.

1. Our system;
2. Our very youthful team (according to this NHL: Roster Breakdowns by Age we are the youngest team in the entire NHL), yet are extremely competitive;
3. Our propensity and ability to continue to improve.

Joe Sakic doesn't give away the farm. He doesn't mortgage our future. He has made us super strong in the now, but also in the future.

If he doesn't get GM of the year this year, something is very wrong.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Anyone who hasn't voted #5 at this point should be ashamed of themselves.

Uh, no...

He still counted on Jost, Compher, and EJ to play above their heads. Also no one expected Graves to be filling the role he is currently. I'm sorry but he left too many holes that luck is filling right now.

We'll see what he does at the TDL, and how the playoffs go before I even consider bumping it to a 5.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
At this point, the Avs could win the cup, and people would still rate a four because they're worried about Landy's next contract. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Nihiliste

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Uh, no...

He still counted on Jost, Compher, and EJ to play above their heads. Also no one expected Graves to be filling the role he is currently. I'm sorry but he left too many holes that luck is filling right now.

We'll see what he does at the TDL, and how the playoffs go before I even consider bumping it to a 5.

They're 2 points behind 1st in the West in mid February though Cobra. The team is having success with the lineup he built. Mostly due to hard work lately, and good offensive production throughout the lineup.

Can't remember the exact number but I think they have the first or second most 20 point scorers in the NHL. That's not luck. That's proof of the depth Sakic was trying to build with this team.

Every team has holes in it, even Stanley Cup winners. Some will be filled at the deadline, and others next off season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Every team has holes in it, even Stanley Cup winners. Some will be filled at the deadline, and others next off season.
This is key. People around here think that in order to be a contender you have to have a perfectly balanced team with no weaknesses, but that's just not true. Chicago won their last cup with two defensemen they trusted for no more than 10 minutes a game in the finals. LA won their last cup after squeaking into the playoffs in the 8 spot. Every team that wins has weaknesses, you just build a good core and take your best shot, and hope for some luck along the way.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is key. People around here think that in order to be a contender you have to have a perfectly balanced team with no weaknesses, but that's just not true. Chicago won their last cup with two defensemen they trusted for no more than 10 minutes a game in the finals. LA won their last cup after squeaking into the playoffs in the 8 spot. Every team that wins has weaknesses, you just build a good core and take your best shot, and hope for some luck along the way.

Plus almost every team is good now, and if you make the playoffs, you have a shot at the Cup.

The main factors are which team and goaltender gets hot in the playoffs. The team that does can beat anybody.

This can cover up for lots of weaknesses, and can beat out teams with less.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
History Of Joe Sakic's In Season Trades

Short Story - He usually waits until deadline day to make his key moves. Only the Beaudin prospect swap, and Matthias trade went down in the days leading up to the deadline as well.

2013-14

Pre-Deadline Day:
  • Oct 31st - Trades pending UFA Steve Downie to Philadelphia for Max Talbot
Deadline Day:
  • Mar 5th - Trades 2014 2nd round pick to Calgary for pending UFA G Reto Berra

2014-15

Pre-Deadline Day:
  • No Trades
Deadline Day:
  • Mar 2nd - Trades D Karl Stollery to San Jose for C Freddie Hamilton
  • Mar 2nd - Trades C Michael Sgarbossa to Anaheim for D D Mat Clark.
  • Mar 2nd - Trades Max Talbot with 50% salary withheld ($875k one year remaining) and Paul Carey to Boston for Jordan Caron and a 2016 6th rounder.

2015-16

Pre-Deadline Day:
  • Feb 21st - Trades Colin Smith and 2016 4th round pick to Toronto for pending UFA Shawn Matthias
Deadline Day:
  • Feb 29th - Trades pending UFA Alex Tanguay, and prospects Conner Bleackley and Kyle Wood to Arizona for pending UFA Mikael Boedker
  • Feb 29th - Trades 2017 3rd round pick to New Jersey for Eric Gelinas
  • Feb 29th - Trades Marc Andre Cliche to New York Islanders for Taylor Beck

2016-17

Pre-Deadline Day:
  • Nov 28th - Trades Ryan Stanton to Columbus for Cody Goloubef.
  • Jan 13th - Trades Cody McLeod (40% retained) to Nashville for Felix Girard.
Deadline Day
  • Mar 1st - Trades Joe Whitney to Arizona for Brendan Ranford.
  • Mar 1st - Trades Cody Corbett to Washington for Joe Cannata.
  • Mar 1st - Trades Jarome Iginla to LA for a Conditional 4th round pick in 2018. Conditional upon LA making the playoffs AND re-signing Iginla.
  • Mar 1st - Trades Andreas Martinsen to Montreal for Sven Andrighetto.

2017-18

Pre-Deadline Day:
  • Nov 5 - Trades Matt Duchene to Ottawa for Samuel Girard, Shane Bowers, Vladislav Kamenev, Andrew Hammond, Ottawa's top 10 protected 1st round pick in 2018, Ottawa's 3rd round pick in 2019, and Nashville's 2nd round pick in 2018.
Deadline Day
  • Feb 26 - Trades Chris Bigras (eligible for waivers next year) to New York for Ryan Graves

2018-19

Pre-Deadline Day:
  • Feb 6 - Trades Prospect JC Beaudin to Ottawa for prospect Max McCormick.
Deadline Day
  • Feb 25 - Trades 2020 3rd round pick for Derick Brassard and a conditional 2020 6th (if Brassard walks as UFA).

2019-20

Pre-Deadline Day:
  • Sep 27 - Trades Nicholas Meloche to San Jose for Antoine Bibeau
Deadline Day:
  • ?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Thought he should of done more last year, but this year is a true competitive year and they absolutely need it.

I hope it isn't quiet and mediocre.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Thought he should of done more last year, but this year is a true competitive year and they absolutely need it.

I hope it isn't quiet and mediocre.
Not worth the prices that forwards were selling for today, Joe said he wouldn't do any pure rentals, they had to have term. Historically the last pure rental that worked and pushed a team over the edge was Antoine Vermette 2015 and they gave up a first round pick and prospect for him. The other 95 percent of the time trading top picks and prospects for rental players is just terrible asset management. Especially for the young and upcoming AVs where this is the first real year of their window

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not worth the prices that forwards were selling for today, Joe said he wouldn't do any pure rentals, they had to have term. Historically the last pure rental that worked and pushed a team over the edge was Antoine Vermette 2015 and they gave up a first round pick and prospect for him. The other 95 percent of the time trading top picks and prospects for rental players is just terrible asset management. Especially for the young and upcoming AVs where this is the first real year of their window
League is pretty even now. If you get to the final 4 it's an accomplishment.

Surprised that Sakic goes into this year's playoffs with that much cap room. Figured he would have done more in the off-season given the typical premium that comes with the TDL.

In the Pacific, there's not powerhouse to go through to get the Final Four. Once you get there, no idea what condition the Central winner will be in. So, kind of understandable that those teams opted to load up to give themselves that shot.

I'm surprised that NYI gave up what they did to get Pageau. But, at least they extended him.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Surprised that Sakic goes into this year's playoffs with that much cap room. Figured he would have done more in the off-season given the typical premium that comes with the TDL.

I'm honestly disappointed that Sakic didn't manage to weaponize this at any point. That being said, looking around the league I don't really see any expiring big money deals that teams would be willing to pay to get rid of. Marleau was the last one I guess.

Reactions: McMetal

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Yeah the Pacific Division is a joke, yet again the central is a crap shoot with yet again no teams in full season tank

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm honestly disappointed that Sakic didn't manage to weaponize this at any point. That being said, looking around the league I don't really see any expiring big money deals that teams would be willing to pay to get rid of. Marleau was the last one I guess.
I always thought that JT Miller would have been an excellent target for the Avs. They should have been more than ready to match or beat the Canuck's offer. Miller had a couple of 50 point seasons with the Rangers who were not a high scoring team. Versatile player who can play all forward positions. Signed until MacKinnon's contract ends, so was perfectly setup.

I think that would have been a good add for a 1st, 3rd, plus another pick or a 1st and 2nd. Probably better than using those assets at the TDL. They had the cap space to do it.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I always thought that JT Miller would have been an excellent target for the Avs. They should have been more than ready to match or beat the Canuck's offer. Miller had a couple of 50 point seasons with the Rangers who were not a high scoring team. Versatile player who can play all forward positions. Signed until MacKinnon's contract ends, so was perfectly setup.

I think that would have been a good add for a 1st, 3rd, plus another pick or a 1st and 2nd. Probably better than using those assets at the TDL. They had the cap space to do it.

I'm quite happy with the forward acquisitions Sakic made in the offseason. I'm more talking about picking up an expiring contract for a garbage player and shoving them down in the minors or buying them out. Like Carolina did with Marleau.

I don't know if Miller was even an option. We can't assume that Tampa called every other team in the league to see if they would beat the Canucks offer. Vancouver and Tampa may have been talking for a long time and built up a relationship before the deal.

Besides, iirc at the time we were still potentially in on Panarin, no?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Exactly. It's easy to say "just turn that cap space into picks", but there have to be bad contracts out there to buy.

As for Marleau, yes, we could have carried that cap hit, but it would have made it impossible to add anything to the team later. I guaran-f***in-tee if we had Marleau's contract and Toronto's first, people here would be upset that we didn't have the cap space to add anything at the deadline. The flexibility had value even if we didn't use it, there was no way of knowing in October what the rental market was going to be like today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad