Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ehhhhhhh let's not start this argument again. Joe made plenty of mistakes on his own, but it at least appears he learned from them. I still want to see Paddy get his shot in the NHL running the show, but I have a bad feeling it won't go well.

One thing I think that will put to rest forever is giving a head coach a degree of managerial control. He either should have it all or none of it. You can't have two guys running the team.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yeah, I see no reason to rehash all of that, either, but two things stand out to me.

1) If Joe can be blamed for anything (and I’ll admit it made sense to me at the time, too) it is approaching Roy and agreeing to the deal ( the deal being how much influence Roy would have in the decisions) they ended up coming up with in the first place.

2) Joe seems to have learned from his mistakes and be doing much better now without Roy around , and that is all that matters going forward.

I’d agree it would be interesting to see Roy get a chance as a GM.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There is like a night and day difference in quality between the Sakic/Roy era and what Sakic is doing now. Joe has been one of the best GM's in the league the past few years and one of the worst before Roy left. Makes it somewhat difficult to grade his performance.

That summer before Roy's final season was also four years ago. The team after this offseason damn well should be better considering all the stop gaps they were signing back then.

They were trying to get to this level of quality the whole time, they just underestimated how long it would take. Joe's "patience" factors into a lot of that as well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I give Joe an A- for the off-season. Two reasons for the minus are Bura, and having to move Barrie in order to get Kadri out of a cap strapped Toronto team. Not that I hate the trade or anything, but finding a way to do that and keep Barrie would have been the A+ IMO.

Loved the draft

Love signing Donskoi

Hated the Bura trade

Liked the Barrie/Kerfoot & Kadri trade

Liked the PB&J signing. Especially since he is actually an upgrade on Soda in the dot, and good on the PK.

Don't mind the Soda trade after the Kadri trade. Kind of ambivalent on it because I think we'd be better without it, but I get clearing that slot now.

Don't mind the depth D moves.

If Sakic does do something like Williams for 1 yr I'd give it a solid A. Bura is just an eye sore on the roster for me right now as the guy out of place.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Other teams have signed big name contacts and ended up in cap trouble quickly. Sakic has avoided that, much to the consternation of many fans through the years. But he still keeps an eye ahead to potential cap trouble down the road. Where has the strategy landed him? A team with one of the brightest futures, ready to compete for the Cup now, and the best cap situation in the league. The only two players left he inherited are Landeskog and Johnson.

This morning like half of the posters here would have said he's one of the worst GMs in the league without a lick of irony.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
The Avalanche's 2009 draft as of now.

JT Compher
AJ Greer
Nikita Zadorov
Cam Morrison
Samuel Girard
Bowen Byram
Shane Bowers
Vlad Kamenev
Justus Annunen
Danila Zhuravlyov
Matthew Stienberg
Nazem Kadri
Calle Rosen

Give me Duchene, O'reilly, Barrie back NOW!

Mainly just O'reilly and Barrie.

what a bad trade that O'reilly trade was.

Reactions: cgf

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
11442495-baoding-balls-on-table.jpg

no more sleeping Joe.

Reactions: Foppa2118

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Okay, can we finally put to bed the idiotic narrative that Joe is sleeping, lazy, sitting on his hands, etc..

It's clear last year was an evaluation year. He wanted to see what he had on this team - were Kerfoot, Jost and Compher going to be centers? Were they going to be top 6 players? Were guys like Nieto, Ghetto, Wilson and Bork actual NHL players or not? Was MacK's breakout year a 1 off or the new normal? Same for Mikko. What do we actually have in Girard? In Zadorov? Will Makar come, and is he legit?

It would have been so shortsighted to make any long-term decisions with so many questions unanswered. He wasn't doing nothing. He was watching, evaluating and planning.

Now that he has his answers, he hasn't hesistated to move. He decided Soderberg is not the answer at 2C. He decided Ghetto and Bork are not NHLers. He decided that our winger depth wasn't good enough. He decided that Kerfoot wasn't in the long-term plans of the team, and neither Jost nor Compher was ready to be a 2C. He decided the defense is good enough and is going to get even better. He decided Tyson Barrie is expendable.

As soon as these decisions were made, he acted decisively. He went hard after the only guy in free agency worth going hard after in Panarin. He didn't let the pursuit of Panarin prevent him from acting - trading Soderberg out, signing/trading for depth wingers, and finally trading for that much-needed 2C.

So please, can we for all time stop confusing Sakic's patience and deliberate intelligence for laziness or sitting on his hands?

And the best part is he might not be done. If a guy like Ferland or Dzingel is willing to take a short term deal they may yet find themselves in an Avalanche uniform. Thanks to Joe's "laziness" we have enough cap room to do whatever we want for the next few seasons.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Can we appreciate that Sakic made the team better without really using any cap space? Every move he made at least broke even, maybe just Donskoi's 3.9M is the only real extra spending we did.

As he alluded to it will make it easy to re-sign our core guys and even go big fish hunting again potentially with someone like Hall or Backstrom next year.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
what a bad trade that O'reilly trade was.

Was it though? They got a reasonably good utility forward with speed and a middle-pairing D-man. It wasn't the farm but they weren't gonna get that with an O'Reilly on an expiring deal and already known for being a tough negotiator. The Avs were not going to keep him and they weren't going to get the kind of value they got for a Duchene who had over a full season left on his deal at the time.

This team would look very, very different had they caved and signed ROR. I don't think every other contract that this team has, especially the MacKinnon discount deal, gets signed if he gets the deal he wants in COL.

I dunno, it wasn't a great trade but I don't think it was terrible either. Joe's not gonna win them all. He addressed depth issues with both deals, which they desperately needed.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
When you're being patient, you can wait for great deals.
When you're being aggressive, you'll get deals that aren't as good, but make the team better anyway.

Oh in his interview he also directly mentioned that moving Barrie during the season would have meant picks coming back, and they wanted a player. He found a way to make that happen unlike Winnipeg with Trouba.

I was really nervous we'd be all arguing over moving Barrie or not as we sit in a 7-9 slot going into the TDL, and knowing we were looking at a futures package or him walking for nothing.

Kudos for that

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Fully agree with @MarkT . Joe's patience has paid off with the Duchene trade and with using last year to evaluate what we had. Now we have a good draft where we get even stronger on the blueline, he moves out Soda who wasn't in the plans, lets go of depth guys who were not in the plan/good enough, adds good depth forwards (even if I think he overpaid on Bura), then makes a trade from a position of strength to fill a position of need. He picked the correct time to be aggressive.

Now the roster is much more balanced going forward, even if we have to wait a season for the defense to grow. This now looks like a legit playoff team.

I give Sakic an A- for this offseason (barring any late additions).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->