Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I can understand wanting Sakic to be replaced; he's put the Avs in the hole they're in now.

However, I don't understand why the pitchforks are coming out today. I feel as if Sakic had acquired a couple low picks (5th-7th round) for pending UFA veterans, fans would be much happier.

While doing this would make sense - and I'm sure Sakic tried to move some of the team's old baggage - it literally has zero impact on the team positively or negatively.

I don't think it's that micro of an issue, it's way more big picture. I get that getting a couple 6th for Bourque and other crap isn't going to move the needle and fix this org. But a team entering a rebuild needs assets and even small ones add up, especially to offset handing them out like candy previous years. It also signals that they get it and they know where they are and what they have to start doing. Maybe they will start doing that this summer but failing and acting passive at yet another opportunity doesn't inspire much confidence a new leaf is suddenly going to get turned over. I get that the market is low and volatile for crappy vets but there were a lot of names out there spoken by real reporters. Part of being in charge is knowing how to close a deal from time to time. Yeah there's a reason and excuse for everything but we've heard them time and time again, it's time to demand some results especially as we are at our lowest point. We just wanted ANY tangible reason to hold on to hope and we didn't get it. Sakic didn't sell much confidence and a plan in his presser today either.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I am a little ****ed off that we didn't get rid of more of the garbage on this team but I am thankful Sakic didn't make any trades involving Landeskog or Duchene.

I'm not against moving Duchene in the off season but Landeskog is a no no for me.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
That's a pretty superficial reason to not like him. It's not like we have great options here. It's either MacFarland taking more control or it's another decade of nepotistic tenured crap in charge.

What's superficial about seeing almost zero positive impact since MacFarland arrived? Appointing him GM is straight up nepotism at this point.

A great option would be to hire an experienced GM (or coach) for the first time in over a decade.

Colborne and Tyutin were just their cheap stop gap solutions.

Patrick Wiercoch at $800,000 is a cheap stop gap solution. Sam Gagner at $650,000 is a cheap stop gap solution. The price tags of $2.5 and $2.0 on Colborne and Tyutin means Sakic bought into the reasoning that they were worth more without properly scouting or analyzing the player in question, and those are cap dollars poorly used.

bear16

Dec 20, 2013
The trade deadline sucked. I'm not saying that Sakic should have dealt Duchene or Landeskog and I want to believe he tried to trade the team's UFAs-to be, but wasn't able too for one reason or another. I understand all that. My problem is what he does now... or in the summer.

NONE of these players should be on the roster in October.

Mitchell
Tyutin
Bourque
Gelinas
Goloubef

And IMO, neither of these RFA players should be re-signed either.

Grigorenko
Wiercioch

And like every other COL fan, I hope and pray that Sakic can somehow dispose of these players (though it'll take a miracle).

Beauchemin
Soderberg
Comeau
Colborne

I also hope Sakic doesn't foolishly use the cap space he's gained by giving these kinds of these contracts, just for the sake of having to use the money somewhere.

Oshie 7yrs $42M*
Alzner 7yrs $42M*

*Merely examples (I don't dislike either player or anything)

All that being said, I'm fairly certain that the 5 UFAs listed won't be back whereas the 2 RFAs I mentioned probably will be. I've pretty much reconciled myself to that last part.

My point is, commit to SOMETHING, Joe! A complete roster overhaul (I know, I know... those never happen and I'm not asking for it), a rebuild, a "retooling"... something! Don't just bring back the UFAs because it's you have the money, or "they know the system" (WHAT ****ING SYSTEM?! lol). Don't just bring in high priced, big name UFAs either, cause that's not the answer. Give some of the guys in SA a shot this season and see what they've got. It can't be any worse, right? You say you want to get younger... well, they're the future. Now give them a chance. Not just Compher. See what Siemens and Grimaldi can do. Not just a one time call up to eat nachos, either. Give 'em ice time, Joe. PLEASE!

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
What's superficial about seeing almost zero positive impact since MacFarland arrived? Appointing him GM is straight up nepotism at this point.

A great option would be to hire an experienced GM (or coach) for the first time in over a decade.

Patrick Wiercoch at $800,000 is a cheap stop gap solution. Sam Gagner at $650,000 is a cheap stop gap solution. The price tags of $2.5 and $2.0 on Colborne and Tyutin means Sakic bought into the reasoning that they were worth more without properly scouting or analyzing the player in question, and those are cap dollars poorly used.

Now there is an "or" that needs to be an "and"!

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
The price tags of $2.5 and $2.0 on Colborne and Tyutin means Sakic bought into the reasoning that they were worth more without properly scouting or analyzing the player in question, and those are cap dollars poorly used.

What else would we have used those cap dollars on? Where was all of the flack for him when he made these signings? I know there were some people that weren't fans of certain players but did we really see either of those deals as poor investments at the time? I thought i remembered the general consensus was that was good value for UFA Colborne even if some people weren't fans of the way he played and that a 1 year deal for Tyutin would be good as a mentor for Zadorov while providing stability on the bottom pairing. These were not Brad Stuart trade/extend bad moves all over again.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I still think Colborne could work. The problem is that he was brought on board with Grigorenko already here. They're essentially the same player. You should only have ONE Grigorenko/Colborne type player on your roster. Otherwise their many deficiencies are magnified rather than mitigated. Grigorenko should be moved before next season if they can't move Colborne. No...scratch that, Grigo should be moved period.

The Soderberg and Beauchemin signings, however, are complete disasters. I don't know how they recover from those. Beauch will have to be bought out this summer. Soderberg maybe can be turned into a somewhat useful player again next year but he will never, ever fulfill the role the Avs got him for. I'd say just put him on the damned wing and have him at least produce some points, maybe then they can sucker someone into taking his deal.

I am officiallly on the FIRE SAKIC bandwagon by the way, despite the fact that, yeah, he was brought into a very bad situation, was not given full autonomy, and actually appears to have changed the culture for the better long-term (if not short-term). But I still feel like he does not know what kind of team he has nor does he have any idea what kind of team he wants. I feel like he's just waiting by the phone for someone to call him and offer him a king's ransom for one of his core players, and only then will he start to put the pieces together. He's just waiting for more pieces. His indecision was pretty apparent at the deadline this year. A better GM would've made a far better effort to jettison expiring assets and maybe even dumped a bad contract or two. Instead he retains 50% of Iginla's salary for what will amount to absolutely NOTHING and made a couple moves of depth/AHL players.

And I'll reiterate some other points too--I don't think Sakic is capable of making the tough decisions. It's clear he wants to do right by players, and that's fine to a point, but at some point you have to be ruthless.

I also don't think he's a savvy negotiator. I don't grade GMs on how well they can rip off another team in a given deal, but it sure feels like Sakic just doesn't know how to properly negotiate terms in his favor. The Iginla deal is a prime example. And don't give me this "his hands were tied" BS. I'm not saying he should've gotten better value for Iggy when there couldn't have been many suitors, but to negotiate a condition on the return that has almost NO chance of being met is just plain stupid.

The Avs need to move on. From Sakic, from Army, and maybe even Craig Billington. I'm not certain McFarland's the answer either.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I still think Colborne could work. The problem is that he was brought on board with Grigorenko already here. They're essentially the same player. You should only have ONE Grigorenko/Colborne type player on your roster. Otherwise their many deficiencies are magnified rather than mitigated. Grigorenko should be moved before next season if they can't move Colborne. No...scratch that, Grigo should be moved period.

The Soderberg and Beauchemin signings, however, are complete disasters. I don't know how they recover from those. Beauch will have to be bought out this summer. Soderberg maybe can be turned into a somewhat useful player again next year but he will never, ever fulfill the role the Avs got him for. I'd say just put him on the damned wing and have him at least produce some points, maybe then they can sucker someone into taking his deal.

I am officiallly on the FIRE SAKIC bandwagon by the way, despite the fact that, yeah, he was brought into a very bad situation, was not given full autonomy, and actually appears to have changed the culture for the better long-term (if not short-term). But I still feel like he does not know what kind of team he has nor does he have any idea what kind of team he wants. I feel like he's just waiting by the phone for someone to call him and offer him a king's ransom for one of his core players, and only then will he start to put the pieces together. He's just waiting for more pieces. His indecision was pretty apparent at the deadline this year. A better GM would've made a far better effort to jettison expiring assets and maybe even dumped a bad contract or two. Instead he retains 50% of Iginla's salary for what will amount to absolutely NOTHING and made a couple moves of depth/AHL players.

And I'll reiterate some other points too--I don't think Sakic is capable of making the tough decisions. It's clear he wants to do right by players, and that's fine to a point, but at some point you have to be ruthless.

I also don't think he's a savvy negotiator. I don't grade GMs on how well they can rip off another team in a given deal, but it sure feels like Sakic just doesn't know how to properly negotiate terms in his favor. The Iginla deal is a prime example. And don't give me this "his hands were tied" BS. I'm not saying he should've gotten better value for Iggy when there couldn't have been many suitors, but to negotiate a condition on the return that has almost NO chance of being met is just plain stupid.

The Avs need to move on. From Sakic, from Army, and maybe even Craig Billington. I'm not certain McFarland's the answer either.

Not sure what you see in Colborne that makes him worth retaining over Grigorenko.

I'm just royally PO'd that anyone would be stupid enough to bring in all these useless vets. Their experience amounts to kaka and they certainly didn't show the young players how to win. Whoever thought they would has a bunch of rocks in their noggin. And for Sakic to have handed out NMC, NTC and extensions was utterly stupid.

I don't think he needs to overreact as I think many on this board would have him do.

I've seen some improvement from the players lately so I don't think they've given up on Bednar. But I'd expect to see noticeable improvement next season and I wouldn't give Bednar much leeway beyond that. Still, having Nieto and especially Barberio has been an improvement so I think that shows you don't need a fire sale like some posters on here would do.

No more vets with NMC's and NTC's. No old guys that are undoubtedly going to break down like Stuart and Tanguay. No stupid extensions to players like McLeod and Holden. Absolutely, unequivocally, fire Army and get a real PP coach. Nothing irritates me more than having that useless POS coaching the Avs players.

Get real D or develop it. That means bringing up Bigras and dumping useless players like Golobeauf.

I've been supportive of Sakic and while I'm opposed to trading Duchene, Sakic better get his ass in gear next year. He will finally free up some of the cap space from his earlier atrocious dealings.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm all for treating players well, but Sakic has been very buddy buddy.

Hejda get to decide if he wants to be traded or not. Stastny was never forced to make any kind of decision, being allowed to walk for free. Iginla getting traded for nothing (understandable). McLeod get to decide if he wants to be traded or not.

You can't have a players mindset as a GM. I think Sakic does.

When Shattenkirk didn't want to re-sign, he was gone and the team gets assets for him. Even if they are in the playoff race. That's how you should act. Team before everything else.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I'm with Sakic on this one. Patience is key. Trading away Duchene for Määttä or Landeskog for Vatanen will only set us back more. Those are panic moves you make when you fear for your job. Waiting for better offers might get the GM flak from the fans and the public, but ultimately it's what's best for the team. As for our non-core players who didn't get moved, just look at the deal Sakic accepted for Iginla. I'm confident that if there were offers made for others, they would be gone. They didn't get moved due to lack of interest from the playoff teams. That's not to say that a guy like Tyutin is completely unmovable, but this time around the teams went for other players or chose not to make moves. Not gonna blame any of that on Sakic. That said, he needs to not **** up on this upcoming off-season. It's going to set the theme for our "rebuild" or whatever we want to call it.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Anyone else still really bothered about that conference call yesterday?

The tone really got to me, and the way Sakic acted all defensive, like he doesn't understand where the team is right now, and sounds surprised at the line of questioning that was coming at him.

Get's asked a question, completely dodges it, and then goes into some BS rant about doing the right thing for Jarome Iginla, which really makes me question his thinking when it comes to being a GM. Really? You're not going to elaborate about anything for the future, but we can all rest well knowing that you did the right thing for Iginla? Thanks! Then he gets asked about the return, and it's some of the most painful to listen to fumbling I've ever heard. I wanted so badly just to say "Oh, so you got absolutely nothing for him and now we are paying for him to play in LA? GM of the year!!!"

This is very depressing...

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I can understand wanting Sakic to be replaced; he's put the Avs in the hole they're in now.

However, I don't understand why the pitchforks are coming out today. I feel as if Sakic had acquired a couple low picks (5th-7th round) for pending UFA veterans, fans would be much happier.

While doing this would make sense - and I'm sure Sakic tried to move some of the team's old baggage - it literally has zero impact on the team positively or negatively.

Pitchforks came out because he allowed a bunch of media to go slobbering over his core players all season in trade rumours without making a single comment to defend them and then also did nothing with them to make the team better. He's alienating his core. We're not talking about 4ths, 6ths or 7ths for expiring contracts....we all know those are long shots to turn into something on a decent team...on the AVs it's a write-off. They can't turn anyone outside of top 60 into an NHL player.

The problem is he's allowed his core to be dragged through the mud...never stood up for them and then when questioned on if he's talked to them said, "Quite frankly, Terry, I don't have to...they are my players." I've seen better management skills from a 10-year old running three lemon-aid stands. He's got to go. The AVs will not get better until he is gone. He's out of touch, out on lunch and has absolutely no pulse his fan base.

He's a cut-throat business man looking out for his own interests...which is why I didn't care for him a person during his playing days. He pretty much forced the sale of the Avalanche in order to allow his offer-sheet from the Rangers to be matched. Yet, he wants to force his best young players to accept some arbitrary salary schedule while paying a premium for over the hill, expiring talent.

In my sport loving life, I've given up on only one team...The Dallas Cowboys...this was due to Jerry Jones firing Tom Landry rather than giving him the chance to retire. I haven't watched a single game of theirs since. I'm close to doing the same now with the AVs. What Joe is doing to this team and its fans is inexcusable.

Last edited:

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009

The tone really got to me, and the way Sakic acted all defensive, like he doesn't understand where the team is right now, and sounds surprised at the line of questioning that was coming at him.

Get's asked a question, completely dodges it, and then goes into some BS rant about doing the right thing for Jarome Iginla, which really makes me question his thinking when it comes to being a GM. Really? You're not going to elaborate about anything for the future, but we can all rest well knowing that you did the right thing for Iginla? Thanks! Then he gets asked about the return, and it's some of the most painful to listen to fumbling I've ever heard. I wanted so badly just to say "Oh, so you got absolutely nothing for him and now we are paying for him to play in LA? GM of the year!!!"

Even worse was to contrast his conference call with John Davidson who was on the radio this morning talking about the Blue Jackets. Sounded very knowledgeable, clear vision for the team, organized, like a GM that knows what he's doing....that's a team that will be going places:(

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Hejda get to decide if he wants to be traded or not. Stastny was never forced to make any kind of decision, being allowed to walk for free. Iginla getting traded for nothing (understandable). McLeod get to decide if he wants to be traded or not.

When Shattenkirk didn't want to re-sign, he was gone and the team gets assets for him. Even if they are in the playoff race. That's how you should act. Team before everything else.

To be fair, a big part of them trading Shattenkirk was because they lost Backes and Brouwer for nothing.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado

Yes, I got the same vibe as well.

I don't think Sakic has a plan to turn things around. Every time he is asked he mumbles something to the effect of "we need to get younger and faster" and "we'll do what's best for the team".

A month or so ago Sakic said he's listening to all offers and nobody is off limits except MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Jost. So, just how the hell are Duchene and Landeskog suppose to take that comment? How are they suppose to react in the locker room? I think they reacted pretty much how most people would have reacted and if anything Landeskog reacted a lot better than expected.

Waiving a veteran like Mitchell and then allowing him to continue to play on the NHL club isn't doing the team any favors either. If you don't want the guy then get rid of him. You don't **** on a veteran and then expect him to like it and act like nothing happened.

Sakic seems to be in a "hunker down, bar the door, defensive" mode rather than in a "I've got a plan and we're following it" mode. That was pretty evident in yesterday online press conference.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
The trade deadline sucked. I'm not saying that Sakic should have dealt Duchene or Landeskog and I want to believe he tried to trade the team's UFAs-to be, but wasn't able too for one reason or another. I understand all that. My problem is what he does now... or in the summer.

NONE of these players should be on the roster in October.

Mitchell
Tyutin
Bourque
Gelinas
Goloubef

And IMO, neither of these RFA players should be re-signed either.

Grigorenko
Wiercioch

And like every other COL fan, I hope and pray that Sakic can somehow dispose of these players (though it'll take a miracle).

Beauchemin
Soderberg
Comeau
Colborne

I also hope Sakic doesn't foolishly use the cap space he's gained by giving these kinds of these contracts, just for the sake of having to use the money somewhere.

Oshie 7yrs $42M*
Alzner 7yrs $42M*

*Merely examples (I don't dislike either player or anything)

All that being said, I'm fairly certain that the 5 UFAs listed won't be back whereas the 2 RFAs I mentioned probably will be. I've pretty much reconciled myself to that last part.

My point is, commit to SOMETHING, Joe! A complete roster overhaul (I know, I know... those never happen and I'm not asking for it), a rebuild, a "retooling"... something! Don't just bring back the UFAs because it's you have the money, or "they know the system" (WHAT ****ING SYSTEM?! lol). Don't just bring in high priced, big name UFAs either, cause that's not the answer. Give some of the guys in SA a shot this season and see what they've got. It can't be any worse, right? You say you want to get younger... well, they're the future. Now give them a chance. Not just Compher. See what Siemens and Grimaldi can do. Not just a one time call up to eat nachos, either. Give 'em ice time, Joe. PLEASE!

and um who do you replace those players with?

bear16

Dec 20, 2013

I'm betting that 1 of the 5 UFAs is re-signed (take your pick, but it'd probably be Mitchell? IDK).

Grigorenko is re-signed, 50/50 on Wiercioch re-signing.

They Avs are stuck with Beauchemin, Soderberg, Comeau & Colborne.

With only Zadorov as a must sign RFA, Sakic will sign at least one UFA forward and a UFA defenseman.

OUT: (my guess)
Gelinas
Goloubef
Tyutin
Bourque
Wiercioch

IN:
Compher
Greer
Bigras
UFA Forward
UFA Defenseman

That doesn't include a possible Duchene, Landeskog or ANY other trade. Probably not the roster of a playoff team, but an improvement nonetheless.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012

I feel very similar to him, although I hope we re-sign Grigorenko. Unfortunately, unless we buyout players, the "I'd like to dispose of these players" list will also be here.

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Patrick
Tyson Jost - Duchene - Rantanen
Comeau - Soderberg - Andrighetto
Matt Nieto - Compher - Grigorenko
(Colborne, Greer)

Zadorov - Johnson
Barberio - Barrie
Beauchemin - Bigras
(Wiercioch)

Varlamov
Pickard

I also think we'll get a top 1-2 pick next season as well.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Pitchforks came out because he allowed a bunch of media to go slobbering over his core players all season in trade rumours without making a single comment to defend them and then also did nothing with them to make the team better. He's alienating his core. We're not talking about 4ths, 6ths or 7ths for expiring contracts....we all know those are long shots to turn into something on a decent team...on the AVs it's a write-off. They can't turn anyone outside of top 60 into an NHL player.

The problem is he's allowed his core to be dragged through the mud...never stood up for them and then when questioned on if he's talked to them said, "Quite frankly, Terry, I don't have to...they are my players." I've seen better management skills from a 10-year old running three lemon-aid stands. He's got to go. The AVs will not get better until he is gone. He's out of touch, out on lunch and has absolutely no pulse his fan base.

He's a cut-throat business man looking out for his own interests...which is why I didn't care for him a person during his playing days. He pretty much forced the sale of the Avalanche in order to allow his offer-sheet from the Rangers to be matched. Yet, he wants to force his best young players to accept some arbitrary salary schedule while paying a premium for over the hill, expiring talent.

In my sport loving life, I've given up on only one team...The Dallas Cowboys...this was due to Jerry Jones firing Tom Landry rather than giving him the chance to retire. I haven't watched a single game of theirs since. I'm close to doing the same now with the AVs. What Joe is doing to this team and its fans is inexcusable.

Dude, this is 100% accurate. Well said!

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Even worse was to contrast his conference call with John Davidson who was on the radio this morning talking about the Blue Jackets. Sounded very knowledgeable, clear vision for the team, organized, like a GM that knows what he's doing....that's a team that will be going places:(

To be fair, not so long ago a bunch of people on this board were quick to bash the Jackets for all their high priced contracts on underachieving players. They mocked the Tortorella hire. there was even serious doubts of Jarmo and Davidson/

If CBJ comes back to mediocrity next season or worse, falter their way out of the playoffs this year, it will all start up again.

Winning makes greatness out of even the most mediocre. Loosing can make goats of stallions.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
To be fair, not so long ago a bunch of people on this board were quick to bash the Jackets for all their high priced contracts on underachieving players. They mocked the Tortorella hire. there was even serious doubts of Jarmo and Davidson/

If CBJ comes back to mediocrity next season or worse, falter their way out of the playoffs this year, it will all start up again.

Winning makes greatness out of even the most mediocre. Loosing can make goats of stallions.

True and maybe gives us hope the Avs, possibly w Sakic, can turn it around in a few seasons.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm with Sakic on this one. Patience is key. Trading away Duchene for Määttä or Landeskog for Vatanen will only set us back more. Those are panic moves you make when you fear for your job. Waiting for better offers might get the GM flak from the fans and the public, but ultimately it's what's best for the team. As for our non-core players who didn't get moved, just look at the deal Sakic accepted for Iginla. I'm confident that if there were offers made for others, they would be gone. They didn't get moved due to lack of interest from the playoff teams. That's not to say that a guy like Tyutin is completely unmovable, but this time around the teams went for other players or chose not to make moves. Not gonna blame any of that on Sakic. That said, he needs to not **** up on this upcoming off-season. It's going to set the theme for our "rebuild" or whatever we want to call it.

No one's saying he should be making panic trades, but to publicly dangle players out there and then do the absolute bare minimum at the deadline is inexcusable. Expiring vet contracts should've been dumped by any means necessary.

That's what I think is his greatest failing as a GM. Even the spate of 3-year deals the Avs were signing players to after Roy's first year was done with the intention of doing right by some players they liked. There was ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to extend Holden with a year still remaining on his very cap-friendly deal. They could've waited and it wouldn't have had much of an effect on any future deals. In fact, it might've actually been cheaper that way given how badly he struggled the following season.

Not sure what you see in Colborne that makes him worth retaining over Grigorenko.

I'm just royally PO'd that anyone would be stupid enough to bring in all these useless vets. Their experience amounts to kaka and they certainly didn't show the young players how to win. Whoever thought they would has a bunch of rocks in their noggin. And for Sakic to have handed out NMC, NTC and extensions was utterly stupid.

I don't think he needs to overreact as I think many on this board would have him do.

I've seen some improvement from the players lately so I don't think they've given up on Bednar. But I'd expect to see noticeable improvement next season and I wouldn't give Bednar much leeway beyond that. Still, having Nieto and especially Barberio has been an improvement so I think that shows you don't need a fire sale like some posters on here would do.

No more vets with NMC's and NTC's. No old guys that are undoubtedly going to break down like Stuart and Tanguay. No stupid extensions to players like McLeod and Holden. Absolutely, unequivocally, fire Army and get a real PP coach. Nothing irritates me more than having that useless POS coaching the Avs players.

Get real D or develop it. That means bringing up Bigras and dumping useless players like Golobeauf.

I've been supportive of Sakic and while I'm opposed to trading Duchene, Sakic better get his ass in gear next year. He will finally free up some of the cap space from his earlier atrocious dealings.

Sakic apparently said he's learned his lesson when it comes to 35+ contracts. Unfortunately it took THREE CONSECUTIVE YEARS of that before doing so.

As for Colborne over Grigorenko, it's not that I actually prefer one over the other, it's just the facts. One guy is signed for next year, one guy isn't. One guy is much younger and probably much more movable, the other isn't. If we were to nitpick I'd say Colborne has proven to be a somewhat decent depth scorer, whereas Grigorenko has teased with all kinds of potential but hasn't proven he's an NHL mainstay by any means. I truly think Grigorenko has one, maybe two years left in the NHL before he just up and bolts for Russia. That's why I think the Avs should part ways and get as much value as they can NOW before it's too late. Unfortunately moving quickly is one thing Sakic seems to be unable to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad