Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I think it’s going to be up to Sakic and crew whether or not we make the next step towards a contender or not. Right now we are a bubble team with lots of upside. He has a lot of big decisions coming up and it will be interesting how he approaches them. What to do with Varly, Barrie? How to round out the team and get some secondary scoring. I think the pieces are there but it remains to be seen how they are played.

Last edited:

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Agreed. And he will likley take the cautious road. Lets wait a few more months to see what the Ottawa pick will yield, and get a feel of what Makar will be like at the end of this season. Then we'll decide what cards we play. Seems pretty smart to me... I'd rather wait a few months, even if it means "wasting a year of Mackinon's amazing contract", and increase the likelyhood of making the right decisions, rather than rushing a decision that could set us back for years.

Paaaatieeeencccccce.

Prrrrreeeeeciooouuuuuussssss

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Patience is fine but the Avs absolutely have to fix the forward depth for next season. We are a bubble team right now but would have been a playoff lock had management done something about the offense.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Re-aligning my pre-season expectation of top 10 in the NHL everyone.
My goal posts have moved to top 5 in the entire NHL at seasons end.

Joe Sakic, tip your hat, good sir.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
After seeing some other GMs (Armstrong, Blake, Bowman) faceplant this season and witnessing what went down in Philly, I'm even more appreciative of Joe's efforts. Very quietly and efficiently shored up the goaltending situation and we're seeing what happens when a front office boss fails to do that.

I like his poise in the storm of panic (especially in the past 12-18 months). There were many times Joe could have made a panic trade or move, but remained even keeled. I hoped (as you'd know) that our roster remained very consistent, and held together (intact), which has happened, and I think we are "starting" to bare the fruits of those decisions.

I believe our culture, and environment is becoming magnetic to prospective players around the league. The way we play is exciting.

We are well down the road of becoming an attractive place to play and be around.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Patience is fine but the Avs absolutely have to fix the forward depth for next season. We are a bubble team right now but would have been a playoff lock had management done something about the offense.

I'd much rather be a long-term cup contender, than a temporary playoff lock like you're suggesting by signing Neal/JVR/etc. because we weren't on Skinner's list and I doubt the Sabres wanted to do us any favors trading ROR back to us.

Reactions: 5280

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I'd much rather be a long-term cup contender, than a temporary playoff lock like you're suggesting by signing Neal/JVR/etc. because we weren't on Skinner's list and I doubt the Sabres wanted to do us any favors trading ROR back to us.

I think that is Sakic's idea, too. He's been there before and knows how a good team should operate.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
And where have I said we should sign Neal, JVR or any other overpaid free agent? The opportunity to improve the 2nd line was there in the summer. Not a huge deal but we better do something about it next year.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
And where have I said we should sign Neal, JVR or any other overpaid free agent? The opportunity to improve the 2nd line was there in the summer. Not a huge deal but we better do something about it next year.

Who else was there? Stastny is the only one I can recall, and I'm sure Sakic reached out to Stastny, but he ultimately chose Vegas.

Sakic made one of the best free agent signings in the offseason by signing Cole.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I am fully confident Sakic will make a push to address secondary scoring this offseason if, by season's end, it remains a problem. And it probably will remain a problem barring some miraculous explosion of production from the "kid line" or a big deadline deal. I'm still perfectly fine with the fact he stayed quiet in the offseason, but yes, I think he can, and should, be much more aggressive in the 2019 offseason.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
When you hold an Ace like the Sen's first round pick, you sit back and wait.

The optimal situation is to fix the secondary scoring with a prospect that will be cost controled for a few years. That would be sooooo efing incredible that you have to wait and see if it will happen.

Nothing significant will happen until that lottery. Once those three balls get sucked into that future defining machine, the Prologue will finally end and the Future will become the Present.

I'm sure Joe has half a dozen contingent plan in mind, all dependent of what that pick will look like. But the first move of the chess match is that lottery ...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
When you hold an Ace like the Sen's first round pick, you sit back and wait.

The optimal situation is to fix the secondary scoring with a prospect that will be cost controled for a few years. That would be sooooo efing incredible that you have to wait and see if it will happen.

Nothing significant will happen until that lottery. Once those three balls get sucked into that future defining machine, the Prologue will finally end and the Future will become the Present.

I'm sure Joe has half a dozen contingent plan in mind, all dependent of what that pick will look like. But the first move of the chess match is that lottery ...

If you're going to use poker references. It's just as easy to sit on that ace not being aggressive, and let that dude with 7, duce f*** your world up because he had balls and you left them at home in your wife's cold clutches.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Who else was there? Stastny is the only one I can recall, and I'm sure Sakic reached out to Stastny, but he ultimately chose Vegas.

Sakic made one of the best free agent signings in the offseason by signing Cole.
He never answers this question but keeps beating the same drum. I’d love to see the magic wand Sakic has where he can make up a deal. But let’s blame Sakic!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->