Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Is it just me, or are we really shaping up into a quality outfit?

Prospects like Timmins, Makar, Kaut, depth like Kamenev, Toninato, Lindholm and Alt.

THEN, lots of cap space to attack free agency if required / desired.

Coming off a play-off year, where I sensed a vast improvement in the team top to bottom.

Pushing arguably the best team in the NHL through the season proper last season to 6 games, while we had a very beaten up and injured roster.

Given all the above, I'm expecting a top 10 in the NHL finish next season.

What makes that all the sweeter, is I think we'll be picking in the top 3 at the draft next year. Just a guess. Imagine adding Jack Hughes to our team!

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Sakic seems to have finally come into his own as a competent and even shrewd GM. He’s followed through on his promise and vision to replenish the prospect pipeline. He sees the moves that should be done and he does them with a steady hand. No more knee jerk moves, and just seems to keep checking all the boxes in the last couple off seasons.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I for one am eating a plate of crow on ole Joe. Just over a year ago I was ready to see him go back into a more advisory role, now he has crushed all my expectations.

He not only took the heat for Duchene’s trade request, but he also managed to get a kings ransom for him, he has organized a competent scouting team, fixed up our d-core from barely NHL worthy to middle of the pack and improving, addressed needs that are glaring without making any crazy decisions and has made smart waiver pick ups who fill immediate needs.

Thank you Joe for righting the ship and sorry for ever doubting you.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Sakic is staying with youth, speed, skill and hockey IQ as his drafting criteria. He's not willing to go with major trades that would hurt our player depth and development since Roy left. Sakic is basically building depth, showing patience in player development, improving the organization by bringing on a local (to be) AHL affiliate and improving the scouting, willing to draft Russians and setting the team up for a SC run window. This is the right way to do it.

So relieved Sakic didn't trade the 16thOA. Now the Avs have got OTT 1st 2018. We're looking good. Really, really good.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
After the end of our 48 pt season I said that I was willing to stick with him as GM a bit longer because he was showing that he was learning from his mistakes. Man am I glad I stuck with him. Sakic is very good at identifying the team's need and going after filling those needs. He doesn't fool around as well. In only two offseasons he has made our D a strength on paper but at the very least no longer a liability on the ice. He has also turned our G depth as a strength as well in just a couple of months, Now with Kaut he is addressing the FWDs' right side which was weak in RWs. Kaut also addresses goal scoring and defensive play from the FWDs. He is quickly filling up the holes. Great job so far.

I think we need to give Kodos to McFarland as well. I think he is also a big part of this turnaround. They make a great team together.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Quick recap on the Avs 2018 draft weekend:

Picks
  • 1st Round (#16) - Martin Kaut - RW - Right - 6'2" 187 lbs - HC Pardubice (Czech)
  • 3rd Round (#64) - Justus Annunen - G - Left - 6'4" 216 lbs - Karpat (Fin)
  • 3rd Round (#78) - Sampo Ranta - LW - Left - 6'2 198 lbs - Sioux City (USHL)
  • 4th Round (#109) - Tyler Weiss - LW/C - Left - 5'11" 150 lbs - U.S. National U18 Team
  • 5th Round (#140) - Brandon Saigeon - C - Left - 6'2" 194 lbs - Hamilton (OHL)
  • 5th Round (#146) - Danila Zhuravlyov - D - Left - 6'0" 163 lbs - Irbis Kazan (MHL)
  • 6th Round (#171) - Nikolai Kovalenko - RW - Left - 5'10" 174 lbs - Loko Yaroslavl (MHL)
  • 7th Round (#202) - Shamil Shmakov - G - Left - 6'6" 192 lbs - Sibirskie Snaipery Novosibirsk (MHL)

Picks Traded
  • Jun 22 - Trades 2018 2nd round pick (#47) to Washington for Philipp Grubauer and Brooks Orpik.
  • Jun 23 - Trades Nashville's 2nd round pick acquired in Duchene trade (#58) to Pittsburgh for Ottawa's 3rd round pick (#64) (Justus Annunen) and Pittsburgh's 5th round pick (#146) (Danila Zhuravlyov).

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Joe is doing great, but he just made a trade this weekend. That’s it. The scouting department made the picks. I’m all for lavishing praise on him, but this was the easy part. Let’s see what he does over the next two weeks. I don’t want bad contracts but I also want a 2nd line scorer. Interested to see how he addresses that.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I'm just so glad the players, club, coaches & administrators are getting the kudos they deserve for all their hard work and improvement.

We've gone from owning a house made of straw, to one made of bricks, with solid foundations.

I'm so proud of my club. I have no idea how anyone (besides demographic reasons) would support anyone else ! :thumbu:

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Joe is doing great, but he just made a trade this weekend. That’s it. The scouting department made the picks. I’m all for lavishing praise on him, but this was the easy part. Let’s see what he does over the next two weeks. I don’t want bad contracts but I also want a 2nd line scorer. Interested to see how he addresses that.

The GM gives the over all direction and by Joe's own accounts he seems active in the evaluation process. I'm definitely curious to see what they do for secondary scoring as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Joe doesn't make the picks but as we hear from Hepple every year, he gives them direction on the type of players they want to target. Speed, skill, and hockey sense above all else. Size doesn't matter, league doesn't matter, heart conditions apparently don't matter.

The Avs have been taking smaller guys, and guys from leagues that others were scared of for a little while now because of Joe's direction.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Joe doesn't make the picks but as we hear from Hepple every year, he gives them direction on the type of players they want to target. Speed, skill, and hockey sense above all else. Size doesn't matter, league doesn't matter, heart conditions apparently don't matter.

The Avs have been taking smaller guys, and guys from leagues that others were scared of for a little while now because of Joe's direction.

I think Joe is learning from Mr. Y's example of focusing on Europe/Russia more.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Alan Hepple has been a significant upgrade over Rick Pracey. In fact, I could've probably thrown darts at names on a wall and done a better job than Pracey.

Pracey led (6) drafts as the Avalanche's head scout, and only produced (6) NHL players: Duchene, O'Reilly, Barrie, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Butcher. HM: Pickard, Blandisi, Siemens, Lindholm.

The prospect pool Sakic inherited in 2013 had nothing in it. And Pracey even botched the MacKinnon draft, aside from the man himself. Lest we forget Conner Bleackley over David Pastrnak in 2014, Pracey's swan song as head scout of the Colorado Avalanche.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Good first week of the season. The right players have gotten a QO, the right ones have been let go. I don't have enough insight to rate the draft but I really, really like Kaut. And then there was the trade which I like a lot value-wise and for what it adds to the team.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Good first week of the season. The right players have gotten a QO, the right ones have been let go. I don't have enough insight to rate the draft but I really, really like Kaut. And then there was the trade which I like a lot value-wise and for what it adds to the team.
Still wish Yak and Dunc got QO's mate.

Reactions: MacBradley

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Still wish Yak and Dunc got QO's mate.

I get it, they're likable and very easy to root for, but neither of them are NHL players. Joe made the right, but difficult decision. This team made the mistake of offering contracts to players merely because they really liked them in 2014, nearly every one of them ended badly.

Auston mcdavid

Mar 10, 2018
Yzerman made the same mistakes as a gm in Tampa in his first years as gm now he’s developed possibly the best team in the nhl and now he’s the best gm in the nhl second best to poile but close i think sakic can accomplish that too there are a lot of similarities between Sakic and Yzerman in terms of building developing and drafting a team and I he could be a Yzerman type gm and his duchene trade and andrigetto tradeand perhaps his grabauer trade could make him a top 5 gm right now and now we’re one of the better drafting teams now too thanks too Alan ripple their scouting director and joe sakic the future is bright anybody agree or have an opinion on it.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yzerman made the same mistakes as a gm in Tampa in his first years as gm now he’s developed possibly the best team in the nhl and now he’s the best gm in the nhl second best to poile but close i think sakic can accomplish that too there are a lot of similarities between Sakic and Yzerman in terms of building developing and drafting a team and I he could be a Yzerman type gm and his duchene trade and andrigetto tradeand perhaps his grabauer trade could make him a top 5 gm right now and now we’re one of the better drafting teams now too thanks too Alan ripple their scouting director and joe sakic the future is bright
So the period button is right next to the space bar. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad