Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bednar's system requires fast tenacious FWDs and very good puck moving dmen that think quick on their feet...we don't have much of either.

That's a requirement under any system in the NHL. Hence missing the playoffs 8 times in the last 11 years.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Aside from the O'Reilly trade - in which his hand was forced - Sakic has made no big trades. He has no stamp on the team.

Most dislike Greg Shermans tenure - including me - but give the guy credit for going out and bringing in key players.

Sakic, meanwhile, has basically nickel and dimed the club to death, replacing lost talent (Stastny, O'Reilly) with washed up veterans/low upside free agents.

I'm guilty of liking (most) of his moves at face value, but the overall product when the dust has settled has been horrendous.

You know what the problem is? Steve Yzerman learned from Jimmy Devellano and Ken Holland. Stan Bowman learned from Dale Tallon. Joe Sakic learned from Greg Sherman.

Sakic made one fairly big trade so far--he swapped Jones/SOB for Tanguay/Sarich. It's not like that was highway robbery for the Avs but ya gotta admit that was at least a win for the Avs given the fact that Jones did little of note in Calgary and SOB ended up being waived and later bought out.

I think Sakic unfortunately learned some bad tactics from Sherman--filling the roster with short-term deals for below replacement-level players. All he knows to do really is play it safe. And he has continued the Avalanche tradition of undervaluing defensive forwards. Don't know why this organization has always been so careless when it comes to that.

What really irks me is that you'd think a team of professional scouts would've looked at the makeup of the roster and realized just how abysmally slow it is. How could no one have seen this before going out and getting more slow players?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not sure anyone knows what Sherman actually did. Eric Lacroix ran the show when he was around and that's who Sakic learned from. That's another issue with this org, nobody knows who is actually ever in charge.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If indeed this team is on pace to be the worst NHL club since the expansion Atlanta Thrashers, then Sakic has to go and there needs to be an absolute nuclear-level housecleaning behind the scenes. This is beyond inexcusable, especially because this team is failing more miserably than any of the salary-floor era Avalanche teams that were tanking on purpose.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Leafs fan coming in peace.

What's up with Sakic regarding letting all these young RHD pass through?

Is he on a bender, curled up in a dark corner somewhere, given the state of his team?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Leafs fan coming in peace.

What's up with Sakic regarding letting all these young RHD pass through?

Is he on a bender, curled up in a dark corner somewhere, given the state of his team?

I mean.. Why would he? I doubt they'd manage to do much better than what we have here.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Ownership finally called out

I don't like Kizla but I'm glad someone formally called out the Kroenke's in all this mess (see DP today). I beat this drum regularly but feel until ownership changes the way it manages the sports teams the only way the Avs will realize sustained success again is through blind luck:(.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I don't like Kizla but I'm glad someone formally called out the Kroenke's in all this mess (see DP today). I beat this drum regularly but feel until ownership changes the way it manages the sports teams the only way the Avs will realize sustained success again is through blind luck:(.

It hurts to see this, but sadly, I think you're right. And quite honestly, this goes for all their teams.

Avaholic

Feb 27, 2017
Joe needs to give up the GM position for next year, another disastrous deadline.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I am now fully on the FIRE EVERYONE wagon.

FO, coaches, scouts, all of 'em. GTFO

Not sure if you are serious or not Bubba.

But I'm on this bandwagon for sure. There is not a chance in hell either Duchene or Landy signs another contract with the AVs. Joe has over-played his hand and allowed them to be out there in the rumor mill forever without either making a comment about them being safe or actually making a trade. Who the F would want to work for a boss that allows everyone to run around and tell folks that your being shopped but then doesn't actually make a move and trade you?

At this point the best we can hope for is Joe stepping down and allowing Chris to take over before the entry draft because it'll be a cold day in hell before Josh actually fires Joe or cleans house.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not sure if you are serious or not Bubba.

But I'm on this bandwagon for sure. There is not a chance in hell either Duchene or Landy signs another contract with the AVs. Joe has over-played his hand and allowed them to be out there in the rumor mill forever without either making a comment about them being safe or actually making a trade. Who the F would want to work for a boss that allows everyone to run around and tell folks that your being shopped but then doesn't actually make a move and trade you?

At this point the best we can hope for is Joe stepping down and allowing Chris to take over before the entry draft because it'll be a cold day in hell before Josh actually fires Joe or cleans house.

Yea I'm just as concerned with MacFarland and his ability to identify good players and coach's as Joe.

Whether it's their next coach or GM, they absolutely have to stop this pattern of bringing in NHL rookies, and asking them to learn on the job. It's devastating this organization.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I don't particularly want Chris MacFarland taking the reins either. I know I am mostly alone on this, but he's getting a lot of residual credit for "helping build" Columbus into the team it is now, and he's not getting enough flack for the catastrophe the Avalanche are currently in.

Sakic is not a good GM, but he's hardly the only cook in the kitchen. They're all ****ing terrible.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't particularly want Chris MacFarland taking the reins either. I know I am mostly alone on this, but he's getting a lot of residual credit for "helping build" Columbus into the team it is now, and he's not getting enough flack for the catastrophe the Avalanche are currently in.

Sakic is not a good GM, but he's hardly the only cook in the kitchen. They're all ****ing terrible.

That's a pretty superficial reason to not like him. It's not like we have great options here. It's either MacFarland taking more control or it's another decade of nepotistic tenured crap in charge.

SlowSkates

Jun 9, 2010

I beat this drum as well. I have been a Chicago sports fan since about 1980. All you have to do is look at the trajectory of the major teams in Chicago to see how much it comes down to ownership.

You can identify issues with coaching, GM, players or whatever all you want, but those all trace back to one place. Sustained excellence starts at the top. The Kroenkes' sports teams don't exactly give you confidence that the top is interested in excellence. Once I realized that, (yeah, I'm slow) it was easy to give up Avs season tickets...

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I am now fully on the FIRE EVERYONE wagon.

FO, coaches, scouts, all of 'em. GTFO

110% Agree now.

He has a way with getting players to sign good contracts but after this deadline the writing is on the wall.

Fire all of them. A complete change over is needed. What a disastrous deadline. :shakehead

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Trust me...I'm not big on MacFarland either, but we all know how the AVs operate. Josh is not firing Joe...

That being said, man, I actually miss Roy. I loved listening to him talk hockey. Joe is just simply terrible talking. Even though the AVs sucked last season, it was a pleasure listening in to Roy talk hockey. As a fan, I looked forward to his audio. Joe just says he's going to do what is in the best interest of the team...and then does nothing. Seriously? Doing nothing is in the best interest of this team? Dude...stick your tongue in the snow-blower next time.

"I'm just simply bummed at the state of the AVs."
-every AVs fan since 2008 (in some cases longer)

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This season just makes me sad. Going into it I had high hopes of it being a development year with a systematic guy coming in that would instil some structure to the team. But it's just a complete disaster all around. Everyone except for Zadorov, Rantanen and Jost could go as long as far as I'm concerned.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Players and coaches will all come and go, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that things will change any time soon. I mean so long as the Kroenkes own the team. Even if Sakic, Billington, Army, MacFarland all go, at the end of the day, this franchise is still a Good Ol' Boys club - just be loyal and fall in line.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think that extends to 2005 when they replaced Forsberg and Foote with Turgeon and Brisebois.

It's been down hill ever since, and most of the moves have been similar cheap stop gaps.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Trust me...I'm not big on MacFarland either, but we all know how the AVs operate. Josh is not firing Joe...

That being said, man, I actually miss Roy. I loved listening to him talk hockey. Joe is just simply terrible talking. Even though the AVs sucked last season, it was a pleasure listening in to Roy talk hockey. As a fan, I looked forward to his audio. Joe just says he's going to do what is in the best interest of the team...and then does nothing. Seriously? Doing nothing is in the best interest of this team? Dude...stick your tongue in the snow-blower next time.

His fingerprints are on this mess too. I didn't hate him as a coach and sure he was interesting to listen to but from the executive side he did more than enough damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad