Joe Rogan moving from Youtube to Spotify

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

Been listening for years and don't even know what Spotify is. They must have backed up the brinks truck. He will lose a lot of listeners with this move and as a byproduct lose some of the bigger guests imo. Sad to see that Joe sold out here. Enjoyed the fight companions and MMA guests (as well as others).

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Spotify really going hard at podcasts between this and their Ringer acquisition.

Does anyone here use Spotify for podcasts?

member 51464

I know nothing of Spotify. Is it something with a freemium model or is it something where you have to pay no matter what to hear their content?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Spotify is the main streaming service, at least in the US. Apple Music and a few others are in the same market. I subscribe to Spotify and forgot that they have started to do video, which is how I mainly watch/listen to JRE so this won't really affect me. But it does suck for all the non-Spotify people out there.

Apparently it'll still be free, you'll just have to deal with Spotify ads but I'm sure there will be a way around that.

I know nothing of Spotify. Is it something with a freemium model or is it something where you have to pay no matter what to hear their content?
Freemium. You can still listen to basically whatever you want with a free account but you'll have to deal with ads.

Last edited:
Reactions: member 51464

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think he got 100 milly

Spotify is a fine platform though, I don’t see him losing all that much in terms of guest quality. Maybe he loses a few listeners but who gives af, he’s making 100 milly doing a podcast

I like watching the little video clips of his episodes so I can pick and choose what I listen to so maybe that’s the only way it will negatively impact me (and I don’t have a Spotify premium account). Typically only watch the MMA ones unless it’s somebody really cool like Forrest Galante

Reactions: Lias Andersson

member 51464

Spotify is the main streaming service, at least in the US. Apple Music and a few others are in the same market. I subscribe to Spotify and forgot that they have started to do video, which is how I mainly watch/listen to JRE so this won't really affect me. But it does suck for all the non-Spotify people out there.

Apparently it'll still be free, you'll just have to deal with Spotify ads but I'm sure there will be a way around that.

Freemium. You can still listen to basically whatever you want with a free account but you'll have to deal with ads.
Thanks for the thorough answer.
I am shocked there are people that actually haven't heard of Spotify before.

Haha, nice. I have heard of Spotify, I just have never used it. I have friends who stream music with it when we are on road trips or they are hosting a party (in pre-pandemic times, don't worry). I just wasn't sure what the point was for moving since presumably Joe gets a lot of advertising revenue with his massive following. That said, $100,000,000 cash in hand sort of trumps that. Like damn, man.

Sep 19, 2008
Spotify is amazing for music but has a few flaws like bad randomization. It is immensely popular though.

However Spotify podcasts is pretty flawed. We'll see what happens. But Spotify is more a music platform than a podcast platform IMO. "Recommended podcasts: Flyers podcast." Well why would I want to listen to that? I'm not a Flyers fan. (adds it to the queue anyway despite me not having interest)

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Spotify is amazing for music but has a few flaws like bad randomization. It is immensely popular though.

However Spotify podcasts is pretty flawed. We'll see what happens. But Spotify is more a music platform than a podcast platform IMO. "Recommended podcasts: Flyers podcast." Well why would I want to listen to that? I'm not a Flyers fan. (adds it to the queue anyway despite me not having interest)

This is my concern - how is it as a podcast player vs other podcast apps? I don't listen to JRE anyway but I do listen to the Ringer content and I fully expect them to do the same thing at same point.

Reactions: Avs_19
Sep 19, 2008
This is my concern - how is it as a podcast player vs other podcast apps? I don't listen to JRE anyway but I do listen to the Ringer content and I fully expect them to do the same thing at same point.
It's good if you want to physically tab through which podcasts to listen to, i.e. at work. But you can't create your own podcast playlist, and the one Spotify creates for you includes podcasts that they "recommend" for you from podcasts you never heard of or are not interested in. I must have gotten so much Flyers podcasts on that particular playlist...I'm not a Flyers fan, why would I care what they're doing?

Long story short, once you finish an episode, you have to open spotify up again and set up another podcast to listen. Don't depend on the queue.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
This is great news for me, Spotify makes listening a lot easier.

I have Spotify on a lot, probably 3+ hours a day. Half podcasts, half music. Biggest reason I use Spotify over YouTube is because I can close my phone screen with Spotify which saves battery and that YouTube recommends songs based on things I've looked up in the past whereas Spotify recommends based on the things I've listened to.

I haven't watched much Rogan but switching to Spotify means I probably will start.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I got rid of Spotify when they had that security issue and I got an email saying someone in Russia just logged into my account. I never went back after that and probably won’t for Rogan either but might have to sign up again if some other podcasts go this route.

I like Overcast the best for podcasts and Apple Music is fine for music.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Rogans been talking about YouTubes censorship on occasion iirc, wouldn’t shock me if that played a role in his decision (though certainly not as big of a role as 100+ mill cash in hand)

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I only listen to him on the podcast ap on my iPhone, I assume he'll still be there. Rogan also barely does any ads, maybe 5 minutes worth at the beginning that you can skip through.

Apparently it won't be. I have Spotify but have not used it in years as I have alternatives. Also calling him a sell-out for making a business decision is ridiculous. This has been an income stream for Joe for some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roman Fell

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Rogans been talking about YouTubes censorship on occasion iirc, wouldn’t shock me if that played a role in his decision (though certainly not as big of a role as 100+ mill cash in hand)
I think so too.

But spotify also banned R Kelly and XXX from making money I believe. I forget the details but that's why I got rid of spotify.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
interesting. I have heard of Spotify but have never been interested in trying it. Does this mean that his interviews will not be in video form anymore like they are on youtube? that would be the only downside for me personally. I enjoy watching the body language and reactions of Joe/Guest in regards to their topics.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
interesting. I have heard of Spotify but have never been interested in trying it. Does this mean that his interviews will not be in video form anymore like they are on youtube? that would be the only downside for me personally. I enjoy watching the body language and reactions of Joe/Guest in regards to their topics.

from what I understand the clips will still be accessible on YouTube in the same way they are now under JRE Clips. Could be wrong on that but I did hear or read that somewhere, trying to remember where

Spotify has video (that I was unaware of) so there will still be the full stream, it will just be there instead of YouTube

Tbh I watch the clips on YouTube more than I do the whole podcast. Unless it’s an MMA related one, in which case I’ll just consume the whole thing. Or Forrest Galante....cuz he’s cool af

Reactions: tacogeoff

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
from what I understand the clips will still be accessible on YouTube in the same way they are now under JRE Clips. Could be wrong on that but I did hear or read that somewhere, trying to remember where

Spotify has video (that I was unaware of) so there will still be the full stream, it will just be there instead of YouTube

Tbh I watch the clips on YouTube more than I do the whole podcast. Unless it’s an MMA related one, in which case I’ll just consume the whole thing. Or Forrest Galante....cuz he’s cool af
From what I understand the clips will still be posted but the full length podcast won't be on Youtube at all.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I significantly prefer Spotify anyway, so I'm not too upset by this.

I dont think someone can "sell out" when they have no personal or moral obligation to one platform over another.

I also don't think he's going to lose any big name guests, Joe is a made man and the podcast doesn't have much room to grow, its already at the top. Might as well cash out at the peak.

Everyone hating on this move is just mad becuase it might slightly inconvenience them by forcing you to go to a different website/app. In reality you should be happy for one of your favourite Podcasters getting a payday that proves their content is valuable.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
This could cause me to lose interest in his podcast. Not that I alone as 1 person matter.

But if I can’t download the podcast at home and listen to it later without Spotify premium I’m not going to listen.
Also if the adds are too intrusive I also won’t listen.
I mostly listen at work to podcasts I have already downloaded and Joe not interrupting his podcast with adds in the middle has always been a big selling point fo me.
I guess I will have to wait and see

Mar 12, 2009
I read somewhere that one reason for this decision (among many I'm sure) is that he's finally gotten tired of the shitty youtube comments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad