Speculation: Joe Pavelski's next contract

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Pavelski, as we all know, is a UFA on July 1st. I am going to assume that he'll be re-signed in this scenario.

What do you guys think he'll get? What do you think he should get? Who are some good contract comps? It won't be a 35+ contract. He misses the cutoff by 10 days.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I honestly think he's gone regardless of what happens with EK65. I think he gets a much better offer that's too good to turn down, kinda like marleau

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I honestly think he's gone regardless of what happens with EK65. I think he gets a much better offer that's too good to turn down, kinda like marleau
Likely this.

If EK65 is gone I can see sharks offering 7 x 3. If we keep Karlsson and find other ways to clear cap, best we can hope for is 5 x 4 (and that would be front loaded with most of the potential lock out year prepaid. )

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
All hearsay, but a friend of mine chats with Pavs frequently. He’s definitely expressed his desire to stay. I think he’ll take a decent discount.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I hope DW can find a way to keep him in the fold. Is it cap circumvention to offer a position in the org if he retires during/after his next contract?

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Some team will offer him 3yr/7.5M. The question is if he takes a discount to come back to San Jose instead imo

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Unlike Marleau, Pavelski is the current captain. I dont think he will abandon the team if the offer is comparable to others

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
I think he'll take a hometown discount. 3 yrs. at 5.5 million per.
Don't know if I agree with the term or hit, but I agree he WANTS to stay in SJ and will take a discount to do so. He wants to win a cup here with Jumbo and Burns. They all have kids here and their families are all close. Do not underestimate this. Pavs isn't gonna leave SJ over a million per. IMO.

Reactions: Boy Hedican

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I honestly just don't see Pavelski's cap hit going up at age 34 (basically 35).

I don’t see how it doesn’t honestly.

Yeah this a 35+ contract without being a 35+ contract on the books.

Father time will catch up to him even if it hasn't fully affected him yet it will soon.

There is no such thing as a 35+ without being a 35+. He can retire and not have his contract count against the cap if it comes to that.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don’t see how it doesn’t honestly.

There is no such thing as a 35+ without being a 35+. He can retire and not have his contract count against the cap if it comes to that.

He will be 35 when the contract starts so it will be a 35+ without being a 35+ contract on the books.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He will be 35 when the contract starts so it will be a 35+ without being a 35+ contract on the books.

That for practical application purposes is a meaningless statement is my point. What makes a 35+ contract a 35+ contract is that the cap can't go away. His cap hit can go away upon retirement and can be bought out if he really bottoms out but doesn't want to retire.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
So --- can we give him a front-loaded contract with a bunch of junk years on the end, decreasing in salary as much as the CBA/NHL will allow (assuming there is a totally-off-the-record-agreement-about-him-retiring-at-age-40)? It's about time the sharks engaged in as much cap circumvention as possible (like everyone else in the league). 7M, 7M, 7M, 4.55M, 3.5M, 3.5M, 3.5M should be legal and is around a 5M cap.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That for practical application purposes is a meaningless statement is my point. What makes a 35+ contract a 35+ contract is that the cap can't go away. His cap hit can go away upon retirement and can be bought out if he really bottoms out but doesn't want to retire.

Because if i said it was a 35+ contract someone would say its not. I know its not but its still a 35+ contract since those are the ages he will be playing the game for his new contract. So even though its not a 35+ contract on the books it is idiotic to sign him long term. Give him the thornton treatment and give him 1 year contracts.

Anything more is just wasting cap space in the future.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So --- can we give him a front-loaded contract with a bunch of junk years on the end, decreasing in salary as much as the CBA/NHL will allow (assuming there is a totally-off-the-record-agreement-about-him-retiring-at-age-40)? It's about time the sharks engaged in as much cap circumvention as possible (like everyone else in the league). 7M, 7M, 7M, 4.55M, 3.5M, 3.5M, 3.5M, 3.5M should be legal and is around a 5M cap.

The league will not accept a 7 year deal at the age of 35.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Because if i said it was a 35+ contract someone would say its not. I know its not but its still a 35+ contract since those are the ages he will be playing the game for his new contract. So even though its not a 35+ contract on the books it is idiotic to sign him long term. Give him the thornton treatment and give him 1 year contracts.

Anything more is just wasting cap space in the future.

But saying it is only causes unnecessary confusion because it has a specific meaning in the context of a contract that will not at all apply to Pavelski on his next deal. I'm for whatever it may take, even if it involves some creative accounting, to keep Pavelski. If it means having a high cap hit for a while to get his last few good years out of him then so be it. I don't expect DW to do that as I expect a 3 year, 7-7.5 mil cap hit for him but the option is available if they want to work together and help the team.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
But saying it is only causes unnecessary confusion because it has a specific meaning in the context of a contract that will not at all apply to Pavelski on his next deal. I'm for whatever it may take, even if it involves some creative accounting, to keep Pavelski. If it means having a high cap hit for a while to get his last few good years out of him then so be it. I don't expect DW to do that as I expect a 3 year, 7-7.5 mil cap hit for him but the option is available if they want to work together and help the team.
I think you guys are getting hung up on semantics... I think the other dude just means that Pav is going to be old when the contract starts. It's more focused on his age as it relates to Pavs potential declining ability. He could have worded it better to avoid this.:)

Reactions: stator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad