Joe Morrow - Portland Winterhawks, WHL

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
Smart, well-rounded game. Stylistically, Kieth isn't a bad comparison. I'd be surprised if he made it to the 2nd round, personally. Someone will "reach".

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Do the Oilers have a shot of getting him with the kings pick in that 15-23 range? If we walk out with him & RNH i'd be happy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Do the Oilers have a shot of getting him with the kings pick in that 15-23 range? If we walk out with him & RNH i'd be happy.

For sure. He could definitely go in that range in the draft. Would be a good fit for the Oilers.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
on the pipeline show a couple of nhl scouts said they thought Joe Morrow was better than Siemens, not saying he will go before him but he definately has the potential to be a steal. I think he goes anywhere from 15-30

Nisku

Aug 5, 2010
I think Morrow is more of a complete player then Siemens plus has more of a upside in the NHL, time will tell.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's the Calvin DeHaan of 2011. It would not suprise me one bit to see a team reach for him with a top 15 pick. Big potential.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I see this guy as a worse-skating version of Cam Fowler.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
How are his physical play, speed, and shot?

Physical Play: Decent, could be a lot more physical, especially in board battles.

Speed: I'm going to tie overall skating ability in with this. Joe Morrow is a special player on his feet. He has the capacity to change the complexion of a game with his feet. He joins the rush well but perhaps most importantly, he can break a trap with his skating skills.

Shot: Not used as much as it could be but its extremely powerful. Not Myles Bell powerful but good none the less. A real rocket when he gets all of it.

Overall, he's got a lot of room to improve. I expect he will go fairly high due to the improvement he's already demonstrated. He started pretty brutal as a 16 year old but by the end of the season he was invaluable and has only continued to get better, not too dissimilar from Ryan Johansen in that regard.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Physical Play: Decent, could be a lot more physical, especially in board battles.

Speed: I'm going to tie overall skating ability in with this. Joe Morrow is a special player on his feet. He has the capacity to change the complexion of a game with his feet. He joins the rush well but perhaps most importantly, he can break a trap with his skating skills.

Shot: Not used as much as it could be but its extremely powerful. Not Myles Bell powerful but good none the less. A real rocket when he gets all of it.

Overall, he's got a lot of room to improve. I expect he will go fairly high due to the improvement he's already demonstrated. He started pretty brutal as a 16 year old but by the end of the season he was invaluable and has only continued to get better, not too dissimilar from Ryan Johansen in that regard.

Thanks, I also see that he has pro size already (197lbs.) So he's a good skater by the sounds of it, if he fast rushing the puck or skating backwards or does he just play more of an angle game?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I see this guy as a worse-skating version of Cam Fowler.

Your right. Morrow is not an exceptional nor fluid skater by any means. He is better than average but can't go end to end without getting burned

Good offensive capabilities and sound defensively.

Maybe like a Ryan Whitney

Last edited:

OilerOlli*

The Oiles have enough soft puck moving D's. Gilbert, Petry, Chorney...

bberry

Nov 16, 2010
Your right. Morrow is not an exceptional nor fluid skater by any means. He is better than average but can't go end to end without getting burned

Good offensive capabilities and sound defensively.

Maybe like a Ryan Whitney

That couldn't be further from the truth. Morrow is an exceptional skater who can change a game with 1 rush. He can take it end to end and barely have to make a move as he just blows past guys.

He has a big time shot. One of the hardest in the western league.

He is definitely not a softy.

For draft eligible players Morrow may be one of the physically strongest, if not the strongest player in this draft. Wait till the combine and you will understand the strength this kid has. His draft stock within the media will climb big time after the combine. Mark my words.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A more offensive Ryan Whitney.

He's good 2-way defenseman, but I think he's kind of overrated. I would be shocked if he went in the top 15. Definitely a solid 3-4 spot with highest potential at a low #2.

Overall the player who really impressed me was Wotherspoon. Great defensive, position, and frame.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That couldn't be further from the truth. Morrow is an exceptional skater who can change a game with 1 rush. He can take it end to end and barely have to make a move as he just blows past guys.

He has a big time shot. One of the hardest in the western league.

He is definitely not a softy.

For draft eligible players Morrow may be one of the physically strongest, if not the strongest player in this draft. Wait till the combine and you will understand the strength this kid has. His draft stock within the media will climb big time after the combine. Mark my words.

So what's the knock on him? Average size, top notched skater, big shot, what's not to like? Does he not take the body? I've seen that he's been in a number of scraps on Youtube and he seems alright in that part of the game. Poor defensively? What's the deal?

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
So what's the knock on him? Average size, top notched skater, big shot, what's not to like? Does he not take the body? I've seen that he's been in a number of scraps on Youtube and he seems alright in that part of the game. Poor defensively? What's the deal?

He's a 92 DOB (only one more year of junior eligibility) that hasn't yet put up elite numbers for an average sized PMD. The foundation seems to have been laid though for him to explode offensively next season IMO.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Joe Morrow picking up steam

After a big playoff, 14 points in 15 games, Joe Morrow has seen his stock increase tremendously. I've seen him projected to go anywhere from 19 to second round.

Whats the scouting report on this guy, I've read hes a pretty good skater with a hard shot and decent offense.

I havent read much on his strength defensively and Ive seen/read that he is a pretty big and fairly tough guy. Likes to throw a hit and has done pretty good in a few fights hes had this year.

Anyone who has actually seen him play wanna comment on one of the quicker risers in this years draft?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I agree and I think he could shock people with how high he might go. I know for a fact that some teams have him in their top 10. If one of those teams is picking in the top 10, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go there (Bruins would be a very good spot if they like him more than Beaulieu).

He's a great player and fits what ALL NHL teams need...smooth skating puck movers who aren't bad in their own zone.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I think I had him in the late first round in a mock draft a long while back, when I knew nothing about him, and just put him there because I didn't know who else to put in.

Kinda funny to see him sort of highly regarded now. Never seen him play before though.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I had Joe Morrow going to Dallas in my Mock Draft and I'm sticking with that. I think Dallas might pick him up if he ends up available at 14th. I can also see him going 12th to Carolina but that's about as high as he gets for me. MAYBE the Bruins suprise some people and take him 9th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad