Player Discussion Joe Morrow - I'm Sexy And I Know It Edition

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He makes some boneheaded mistakes at times, but overall I have been pretty impressed with Morrow as I didn't expect much from him. In the last 9 games he has 3 goals and 2 assists and has been plus 1, just seems to be a lot more comfortable since he's been playing on a regular basis.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Better than Davidson so far.
Yes, definitely.

I liked the gamble on Morrow and I think it's been mostly successful. Once everyone is healthy and if Jerabek stays up, I could see Morrow being our #7-8.

Mete - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Jerabek/Schlemko - Benn
Jerabek /Schlemko
Morrow

A good depth guy to have around, and it doesn't matter if he sits for 15 games in a row.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Morrow is very average at the defensive part of the game but he does have very good skating and offensive skills. He's been playing much better lately vs earlier in the year IMO.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Best value acquisition this off season. While he is no Rod Langway defensively, he is pretty damn solid in two facets...he can skate and has offensive instincts. Good signing

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He's bad. That sequence where he killed our PP by fumbling the puck 3 times.

That could be a confidence issue that he gets over with more experience and playing time. Or, maybe that's just who he is. While we tank away this season is a good time to find out. He' and Petry are our only dmen that skate the puck out of the zone and up ice. This is an important quality in today's NHL.

In addition to getting more comfartable with the puck on the pp, he needs to get craftier at making quick decisions and moving the puck quickly, as well as taking the opposition out of the play when they're in the slot.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
He's lost down low, has a hard time when he has to switch men, gives up too much space off the rush, way too weak on the puck. That said, he can get his shot through and move his feet.

I can't see him being more than a 7th-8th D. Schlemko and Jerabek are better.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

His skating is elite, he has a very hard shot, he's a decent passer, he has good hands, he's big, etc.
I don't see how he does not have a lot of potential offensively.
He probably will never reach it since his defensive game is bad, and coaches won't trust him to play a lot of minutes

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Can't go too hard on a 24 yr old Dman with under 80 NHL games exp...

The defense is a bit dicey at times,Marc Andre Bergeron came to my mind, but 5 pts in 13 games he already got a career best for goals,and is on a pace to set career high in points.I'm hoping with some more time the d game will improve ,and if he can keep putting up points how can we complain .

He was on the ice last night with under 1 minute to go , so the coach is showing him some confidence, and he was out there again with 3 on 3 .....

If this does end up a tank for a pick season , well play the heck out of him and let him work on the D part of his game ..

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2010
Morrow isnt going anywhere now.

Couldve just had him instead of signing Alzner.

Can score, cheaper contract and makes just as many mistakes as Alzner.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He makes some boneheaded mistakes at times, but overall I have been pretty impressed with Morrow as I didn't expect much from him. In the last 9 games he has 3 goals and 2 assists and has been plus 1, just seems to be a lot more comfortable since he's been playing on a regular basis.

that's how i see it, didn't expect anything from him despite being a former 1st round pick. He seems to have some offense in him but must be put with a defensive minded partner.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Morrow to me is similar to Beaulieu. Both are same age and drafted the same year. Both are smooth skaters and are mobile but make a lot mistakes, some of them costly.

But as it stands right now, Morrow is on pace for 28 points and Beaulieu on pace for 15. Morrow costs 650K for 1 year while Beaulieu costs 2.4M for the next two years.

I think Beaulieu looked his best when he was paired with Benn on the 3rd paid last year. This could be a good place for Morrow. However, Schlemko is surely going to be put ahead of him (especially since they envision him next to Weber) and if Jerabek shows to be a real good NHL defenseman (as I think he has the potential to be), Morrow may be the odd man out again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->