Joe Micheletti

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Look at Joe, moving all the way up to the #2 game analyst at NBC! Personally I think he does a wonderful job during the playoffs - he's much better when he's able to remove his Rangers-colored glasses and simply analyze the game. And he has a much better rapport with Pierre than either Olczyk or Milbury.

Joe is still a few steps down from Craig Simpson, and in my mind there will only be one JD. But in the playoffs, released from his Rangers agenda, Joe is a really good listen.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm not a fan. Micheletti is something of a shill. He always toes the company line and as a color man I don't find him to be particularly insightful. Rosen would be better off without him--he makes Rosen worse than he should be IMO. Give Sam and us a better color guy. Maloney is fairly decent.

I do go back a ways and have to say I was not a fan of Jim Gordon or Bill Chadwick either. I always thought Marv Albert and Sal Messina on the Rangers radio broadcast were light years superior. Go back and look at some of the Rangers clips on youtube in the 70's and 80's and the commentary from Chadwick and Gordon is wincingly bad---puerile really. They weren't the only ones---the Flyers and Islanders TV people--just f***ing awful. There was almost always engaging commentary coming from the Rangers radio team though and I never could understand why the Rangers just didn't chuck those two f***heads and go with Albert and Messina instead. Marv also did the Knicks though and maybe that was partly why.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
What I always found hilarious was that Joe has such a great rapport with Sam. He'll goof around and make jokes. But when Joe is paired with John, it's STRICTLY business. No funny business.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Look at Joe, moving all the way up to the #2 game analyst at NBC! Personally I think he does a wonderful job during the playoffs - he's much better when he's able to remove his Rangers-colored glasses and simply analyze the game. And he has a much better rapport with Pierre than either Olczyk or Milbury.

Joe is still a few steps down from Craig Simpson, and in my mind there will only be one JD. But in the playoffs, released from his Rangers agenda, Joe is a really good listen.
Not surprised you like Joe Micheletti

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I never thought he was particularly pro Rangers. When you compare him to the Jack Edwards types he doesn't even move the needle on the homer-meter. His analysis skills barely exist. Unless you want to know how tired the penalty killers are, Joe is next to useless. Nice guy and all, but the drop off from J.D. to Joe is like falling out of an airplane with no parachute.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

JD was great his first couple of seasons before he turned into the King of the Shills.

There were certain Rangers he would not say a negative word about no matter what they did.

I knew he was done as a great TV guy when Messier made a drop pass to no one. An opposing player skated the length of the ice and scored. JD said nothing.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I never thought he was particularly pro Rangers. When you compare him to the Jack Edwards types he doesn't even move the needle on the homer-meter. His analysis skills barely exist. Unless you want to know how tired the penalty killers are, Joe is next to useless. Nice guy and all, but the drop off from J.D. to Joe is like falling out of an airplane with no parachute.

Jack Edwards isn't a commentator.

He's a 1980s pro wrestler.

Also a very unpleasant human being to be around.

Reactions: shinchanyo

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
JD was great his first couple of seasons before he turned into the King of the Shills.

There were certain Rangers he would not say a negative word about no matter what they did.

I knew he was done as a great TV guy when Messier made a drop pass to no one. An opposing player skated the length of the ice and scored. JD said nothing.
To me at least, there's a difference between being a homer and being overtly critical and calling a guy out publicly for a mistake. When I think of homers, the bar is set at Cusick and Sanderson from WSBK in Boston. Blatant. J.D. was the best in the business for a good stretch. Bill Clement was good too. Some of the voices now leave me wondering. Like Milbury. He's the anti homer. He hates everyone and calls it that way. He's somehow turned being an average defenseman and far below average GM into a lifelong gig. I don't know how he's managed but he's got more lives than a cat.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I agree with those who have said that Joe brings minimal and mostly uninsightful analysis. He has good chemistry with Sam, I will say that.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Age is catching up to Joe and he has the occaisonal blunder, but he still has decent knowledge and does decent color/booth analysis of plays.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
We're incredibly lucky. Yes, Sam isn't as sharp as he once was and Joe can be to a hockey broadcast as cheesy as Dave Grohl has become to rock music (and I love both Joe and Dave Grohl lol) but after living in DC a few years and hearing Laughlin and Bennati do games, I will never take Rangers broadcasts for granted. The only other guys in the league I enjoyed as much were the old Sharks guys, but that team was split up a few years ago.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i don't mind Joe, I like Dave alot

most color guys don't add much,
i do really enjoy Ken Singleton and will miss him
who else can talk about switch hitters with such insight? just this weekend, he got the camera guys to compare Hicks' position in batters box right vs left
i also liked Jim Kaat
but most color guys, they don't say much worth paying attention to, often i mute the TV and play music, if i miss somethingthere are plenty of replays, and even 'rewind live TV'

the recent Yankee players - ONeill, Flaherty, Leiter, Cone, all sound almost the same to me, although Paulie never says anything you wouldn't come up with yourself, and the ex-pitchers do sometimes add good pitching insight

Reactions: Boris Zubov

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As far as color guys--I like Ken Daneyko--insightful, no bullshit--doesn't go off on tangents and if someone else does he brings it right back to subject. OTOH the Devils play by play guy might be the worst in the league and their new addition Bryce Salvador is awful. Butch Goring is hit and miss--he's better than Micheletti though. Rob Ray is good and I hate Rick Jeanrette. I don't like the Pittsburgh announcers or Boston's or the Capitals, Edwards makes Brickley a lot worse in Boston. Potvin sucks. Maloney, Valiquette or Carter would be better than Micheletti. Just saying---one guy I do miss is Bob Page. That guy was a trip.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
As far as color guys--I like Ken Daneyko--insightful, no bull****--doesn't go off on tangents and if someone else does he brings it right back to subject. OTOH the Devils play by play guy might be the worst in the league and their new addition Bryce Salvador is awful. Butch Goring is hit and miss--he's better than Micheletti though. Rob Ray is good and I hate Rick Jeanrette. I don't like the Pittsburgh announcers or Boston's or the Capitals, Edwards makes Brickley a lot worse in Boston. Potvin sucks. Maloney, Valiquette or Carter would be better than Micheletti. Just saying---one guy I do miss is Bob Page. That guy was a trip.
Goring is awful and in no way in Joe's league

Reactions: Richard Brads

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
one guy I do miss is Bob Page. That guy was a trip.

I used to always tune into the 5 minute MSG Sportsdesk at 7 PM as a kid. Even begged my mom to make it home from errands multiple times, especially during the summer of 1991 when Richter was holding out, I was so worried the Flyers were going to offer sheet him LOL. He was un-PC, rude, and sarcastic, loved every minute of it. My favorite moment I've talked about several times on this board was when the Rangers traded Wells to get Lidster back in the summer of 1996 and he started the segment out with "Talk about trading Tweedle Dee for Tweedle Dumb" He even grew a mustache for a short period and looked like a total heel.

He ticked off Dolan with his attitude and opinions and was booted in the late 90s around the time the "Everything is always happy and sunshine in the wonderful world of MSG" PR mantra started.

He retired to Florida and still spends time in Michigan here and there. I had a chance to contact him through someone I knew around 2011 but didn't want to bother him. He's a Michigan guy at heart. He had some very negative things to say about NY Sports after he was dismissed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad