Joe LaBate - 2011 Draft Prospect

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by JawandaPuck, May 5, 2011.

1. JawandaPuck

JawandaPuck Lost Art of Dynasty

Home Page:
    C (LHS), 6' 4" 195
    Born: April 16, 1993, Burnsville, MN, USA
    Team: Academy of Holy Angels in Minnesota
    Committed to: University of Wisconsin

Fnl Rank: 51 / Mid Rank: 60

PHP:
    Season            Team    League        GP    G    A    TP    PIM            Postseason    GP    G    A    TP    PIM 
    -2010     Holy Angels     USHS    25    29    29    58    26    |     Playoffs    2    0    1    1    2 
    -2011     Team SE     MN Elite    05    02    06    08    02    |     Playoffs    3    4    2    6    0 
    -2011     Holy Angels     USHS    25    27    22    49    42    |     Playoffs    1    2    1    3    0
    [​IMG]

www.mnhockeyprospects.com says: Has the combination of size and speed that drives scouts giddy. Is capable of getting dirty and playing a physical game or can step it up a notch and play with finesse. Has great one-on-one skills, having the ability to carve into a defense, picking apart every weakness. LaBate has a cannon of a shot, which he is able to bury from outside the slot... (link)

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com: At 6-4, 190-pounds, he's a stick figure right now, but dominating at the high school/prep level and when he fills out to his pro playing weight, look out...An effective net presence, LaBate uses his size to take away sight lines and has a quick stick...Generates good power on his shot and it will only get heavier as he continues to add strength to his wiry frame. He does the dirty work in front of the net and in the corners...He's gotten good marks for his hockey sense from scouts I've talked to as well...(link)

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com:
    McKeen's: I can't remember for sure if you were able to play against Shattuck this year in the Elite League, since your Elite League season was abbreviated due to a broken foot. I'm not aware of how that happened, so how did that broken foot happen?

LaBate: I was actually doing a workout early in the morning at school. I missed my normal workout after school, because the place closed, but I came into school to do a workout, was doing some sprints, and just rolled my ankle. I broke my cuboid bone. So, just, it sucked... It was supposed to take six to eight weeks. I was back on three and half weeks, four weeks later. So, it was tough. You're new on your skates, but you've got a good cast. So, it's a little confidence.

McKeen's: Very nice. To round things out, who were some of your favorite players growing up, or earlier in your youth perhaps I should say, and why, and who are some players today who you feel you're similar to?

LaBate: I've always really had a liking for Joe Thornton. He's a big guy and he's very skilled. Right now, I try to play my game off of David Backes. He's a big centerman with a lot of skill and he moves the puck well and can shoot the puck hard. He's a good leader, sticks up for his teammates, and he plays tough. So, I really like his style of play and I try to play my game like that.
    (link)

2. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

Excellent thread, article, picture, stats, and everything else JP.... Bravo!

Joe is a player that could be a very high surprise pick if teams really took a notice to him this season. Mario Lucia has been the kid of focus out of Minnesota high school hockey this year, but Labate has stepped up and make a case for himself going ahead of Lucia.

I dont know for sure where Labate or Lucia will fall, but it usually works out where a US highschooler goes top 30 each year, so it would certainly come down to Labate or Lucia. Both are very talented prospects with excellent size and intangibles. Plenty to work on for both, but they should be no worse then late second round picks this June.

Labate is a great kid to keep an eye on for as he could fill out and really turn into something special...

3. arsmaster*

arsmaster* Guest

Nice post.

Havent seen this kid play, but really like what I read.

How does he compare with Nick Bjugstad?

4. wej20

wej20 Registered User

Pens love Minnesotans, I wonder if he's on Shero and Co's radar.

5. Eyelanders

Eyelanders Registered User

The more I read about LaBate, the more I would like to see him getting drafted by Florida. As we know, he will play at Wisconsin next season, and is going to be a player who I will follow, whoever will pick him at the draft.

6. JawandaPuck

JawandaPuck Lost Art of Dynasty

Home Page:
    Cool...he's a Canuck. Heck, we are all Canucks :)

7. GCM

GCM Stork

funny how he was traded for the pick that took Lucia

8. AmericanDream

that is pretty wild...

a great pick for Vancouver, the kid is a project but he has so much raw ability that if he pans out will be a monster steal for the Canucks. lets hope that Mike Eaves stays at Wisconsin and helps cultivate this kid into a professional player.

9. brtriad

brtriad Registered User

Student
    I wanted this kid on the Hawks. It's painful to see him go to Vancouver.

10. WesternCollegeHockey

WesternCollegeHockey Registered User

The Hawks basically drafted the same player two years ago in Dan DeLisle. I'd say they learned their lesson.

11. God

God Free Citizen

It's tough to get a really good grasp on how good a high school player because if he's being talked up as a draft pick then he's probably already dominating the competition. Either way, it's a fourth round pick. Not much risk there.

12. Tiranis

Tiranis Registered User

Drafted as a 19 year old and I don't think he was ever ranked as high as LaBate.

13. hdtrax

hdtrax Registered User

Home Page:
    I'm pissed the Leafs passed on this kid for Tom Nilsson. As if we don't already have enough d-men in the pipeline.

14. Bgav

Bgav We Stylin'

anyone have an update on the kid?

15. AmericanDream

he is doing much more in his first year of college hockey, then Dan Delisle has done in his first 3 years if that helps!

kid is a player, no doubt. Big and skilled center that will continue to fill out and hopefully get a bit more nastier as well.

He is a top 5 scorer on Wisconsin as a freshman, and if that wasnt impressive enough, the kid is the youngest player on the team with the exception of Jake McCabe. With LaBate being so young and doing so well this early on, you really have to like his future.

By the way, Jake McCabe looks to be the real deal as well on that Wisconsin team. He will be a big riser for the 2012 draft, kid has mad offensive skills and is the youngest player on the team. Bright bright future for both McCabe and LaBate.

16. arsmaster*

arsmaster* Guest

Wisconsin looks to have a pretty strong recruiting class for next fall as well...

17. Bgav

Bgav We Stylin'

thanks for the update! :cheers:

18. vincetheprince

vincetheprince Registered User

If I'm not mistaken, he leads all WCHA freshman in points (18) in 24 games

EDIT : leads all 93 born freshman in the WCHA

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  19. vincetheprince

vincetheprince Registered User

If I'm not mistaken, he leads all WCHA freshman in points (18) in 24 games