Prospect Info: Joe Hicketts

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Haven't heard a peep about him in what seems like ages. Nothing from any of the beat writers or posters here. Can't be a good thing, especially with him being an RFA at the end of the season.

Currently has 18 pts in 46 games. Puts him at 69th in Dmen scoring for the AHL.
Cap hit of $635,000.

Really looks like he doesn't have much of a future with the Wings. Am I wrong or missing something?

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Joe got 2 assists tonight and an assist on Wednesday. Helping Cholowski out on what he needs to do and where he should be on the d-zone. Took over Saarijarvi on the 2nd pp unit at the point since Hronek went up. On defense, Hicketts makes good plays and a couple not so good. His biggest problem is that he is not big, which is difficult for him to move big forwards away in front of his net. Does gets beat from time to time by fast forwards in the AHL. Excellent hitter along the boards. Been vocal at the officials tonight (they were terrible tonight gave Texas every chance to win the game) and rightful so. Starting to be a leader on our team. I figure after the TDL, the Wings will give him a long look to see if it is worth resigning Hicketts or not. Hard to say what will happen to him after this season and what the Wings will do.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I would imagine he gets re-signed for depth as they do with a lot of their guys that keep regular spots in GR during their ELCs.

Hicketts is subject to waivers next season, so the real question would be if the Wings think he's valuable enough to not risk waivers next season and keep on the main roster as #7/8D.

Most here are going to say no, but I can see where the coaching staff and FO might say yes. They gave him a look last year when he wasn't having the best year, and kept him around as the #7 guy earlier this year when Hronek and Sulak got sent down.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I would imagine he gets re-signed for depth as they do with a lot of their guys that keep regular spots in GR during their ELCs.

Hicketts is subject to waivers next season, so the real question would be if the Wings think he's valuable enough to not risk waivers next season and keep on the main roster as #7/8D.

Most here are going to say no, but I can see where the coaching staff and FO might say yes. They gave him a look last year when he wasn't having the best year, and kept him around as the #7 guy earlier this year when Hronek and Sulak got sent down.

I would have him up, as he was much better than all the naysayers say he was early this year. To me there is always room for guys who compete hard every night. Maybe Abdelkader should watch Hicketts compete, and grab some of it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not a NHL guy. I love how hard he plays, I like the story. Unfortunately, his limitations are real and are going to block him from accomplishing much more on this side of the pond. I personally think he should go the Dallman route if he is able to and establish himself in the KHL. Perhaps he can become a 2 to 3 million dollar D-man overseas in the K. That is probably his best financial move. I think some of these kind of guys are going to hold out hope for Seattle still. Hicketts has been passed by a bunch of prospects and it gets worse next year as Lindstrom is also significantly more talented in my opinion. He just cannot keep his name up that list.

I would love to keep him and McIlrath down on the farm in GR on big AHL deals, but I don't want him lacing up his skates in Detroit. He isn't good enough for the NHL level where they exploit his physical limitations on a shift by shift basis.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's real hard as a small guy to make it in the NHL unless you bring some high-end offensive tools. Sadly Joe has not progressed offensively like I thought he would.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
It looks like he is waiver-eligible next season. He's probably going to need some help in terms of the Red Wings' offseason moves in order to make the team.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He’ll probably never be a NHL regular, but he’s a fine guy to keep in the system. I have more faith in him to eventually carve out a Brian Lashoffesque 100 game career than Sulak or V Salijarvi

I don't know why he shouldn't be a regular. He played really well when he was up with the Wings. So well that even Zetterberg failed to hide his frustration when they sent him back down to Grand Rapids. Hicketts made a few mistakes and some opponents took advantage of it but overall he was pretty good. Pretty much all of his mistakes happened because of him being over aggressive. Other than that he was very solid. Gap control is easily coachable and usually improves with experience. One of the goals against he caused was because he stepped up against Crosby. He'd have flattened 99 outta 100 players there...at least. He wouldn't have done it had he been aware that it was Crosby. This kind of awareness comes with experience, too.

Should have kept him up over Hronek and Cholowski. Those guys should have been given a full season with the Griffins...just like Zadina.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It's real hard as a small guy to make it in the NHL unless you bring some high-end offensive tools. Sadly Joe has not progressed offensively like I thought he would.

He reminds me a lot of Keith Ballard. He was a bit bigger than Hicketts but not much...despite being a small guy he was a known threat because of his ability to finish guys with his trademarked hits. He was also, just like Hicketts, an elite shotblocker. If Hicketts plays a simple game while finishing his hits then he should be good enough to play in the NHL. He brings more energy than an enforcer so I like him a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad