Joe Barnes

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Any info on him? I remember some thought he could be a late 1st, 2nd round pick in 2005 and I think he ended up going 3rd round to the Canes.

Apparently he has issues mentally, or no work ethic or something...but what kind of player could he be if he gets that in order?

lammy

Jul 18, 2006
Barnes was picked very early in the WHL draft, (first I think) then was not drafted in his draft year. He bounced back the following year and was picked in the third round by the Canes. Last year his point production rose again for the Blades. He has good hands and great size. I think the greatest concern is his skating and his slow progress in his first few years in the dub. In my humble opinion he could very well produce at the next level.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Barnes was drafted 2nd overall in the WHL bantam draft a few years back, behind Gilbert Brule who went #1 to the Giants.

He suffered a broken neck in 2003 at I believe the Canadian U-18 camp. He missed some time to start the 03-04 season and struggled to find his game for most of the year. However, the Blades were horrendous that year, winning only 7 games the entire season. Ryan Keller led them in scoring with 44 points, just to give you an idea of how bad a team that was. Coming back from a broken neck is a tough thing to do. There's always that fear of getting hit and something happening again. Joe decided to opt-out of the '04 draft, which IMO was a good move. He didn't have nearly the type of year he wanted and most teams had him rated as a 5th or 6th round pick at the earliest, despite his potential.

Saskatoon made some changes to their roster in the off-season, fired their coach and brought in the very respectable Lorne Molleken. The Blades had a good year and Barnes played very well, increasing his goal total by 5 the year before to 30, and his point total from 22 to 62. He was projected to be a mid-2nd round pick in '05 but slipped a bit to the early 3rd round.

From what I've been told he'll be in camp with Carolina this year. He's eligible for to play for their AHL affiliate in Albany, but there is a chance he might go back for his overage year if a contract can't be worked out with the 'Canes. More then likely though I expect him to be in the AHL this year.

His upside is a 2nd line center in the NHL. He's a good skater, good hands, hard shot. Plays a two way game and won't shy away from the physical play. Sure his development the first two years were slow but I think it had a lot to do with suffering a serious injury and having to come back from that. One of the knocks on him is consistency. He has a ton of skill but some nights he doesn't put it all together. He's got a good head on his shoulders and works hard, and I definitely see him making it in the big show.

He's a player I really wanted the Rangers to draft in '05. They flew him in to New York for a private workout two days before the draft along with a few other prospects, Steve Downie is another I know for sure, can't remember the rest right now, but they definitely had a strong interest in him. Apparently they were set to take him in the 3rd round but Carolina snatched him two spots before them.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Barnes was drafted 2nd overall in the WHL bantam draft a few years back, behind Gilbert Brule who went #1 to the Giants.

He suffered a broken neck in 2003 at I believe the Canadian U-18 camp. He missed some time to start the 03-04 season and struggled to find his game for most of the year. However, the Blades were horrendous that year, winning only 7 games the entire season. Ryan Keller led them in scoring with 44 points, just to give you an idea of how bad a team that was. Coming back from a broken neck is a tough thing to do. There's always that fear of getting hit and something happening again. Joe decided to opt-out of the '04 draft, which IMO was a good move. He didn't have nearly the type of year he wanted and most teams had him rated as a 5th or 6th round pick at the earliest, despite his potential.

Saskatoon made some changes to their roster in the off-season, fired their coach and brought in the very respectable Lorne Molleken. The Blades had a good year and Barnes played very well, increasing his goal total by 5 the year before to 30, and his point total from 22 to 62. He was projected to be a mid-2nd round pick in '05 but slipped a bit to the early 3rd round.

From what I've been told he'll be in camp with Carolina this year. He's eligible for to play for their AHL affiliate in Albany, but there is a chance he might go back for his overage year if a contract can't be worked out with the 'Canes. More then likely though I expect him to be in the AHL this year.

His upside is a 2nd line center in the NHL. He's a good skater, good hands, hard shot. Plays a two way game and won't shy away from the physical play. Sure his development the first two years were slow but I think it had a lot to do with suffering a serious injury and having to come back from that. One of the knocks on him is consistency. He has a ton of skill but some nights he doesn't put it all together. He's got a good head on his shoulders and works hard, and I definitely see him making it in the big show.

He's a player I really wanted the Rangers to draft in '05. They flew him in to New York for a private workout two days before the draft along with a few other prospects, Steve Downie is another I know for sure, can't remember the rest right now, but they definitely had a strong interest in him. Apparently they were set to take him in the 3rd round but Carolina snatched him two spots before them.

:bow: Thanks a million!

From the way the Canes fans talk about their system, they need players in the AHL so hopefully he does get signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad