OT: Jobs in Ottawa

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
Hey guys, I've found myself in a strange transition period and I'm looking to start a new career path. I have a general university degree and I'm not too picky about jobs, I just want to try something new. So if any of you know of a job opportunity or opening, I'd really appreciate a heads up! This is kind of weird place to inquire, but a man can only submit so many online applications before he starts to lose his mind! Feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting on a public forum.

Thanks for any info.

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I'll be in the same position you're in soon enough, my friend. Two years from now I'll have graduated from University and I'll be moving to Ottawa without a ******* clue as to how I'll be making a living.

I wish you the best of luck.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
I think in order for us to help you we'd need more information....

I.e. what kind of degree... what is your experience like... special skills etc..

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
I'll be in the same position you're in soon enough, my friend. Two years from now I'll have graduated from University and I'll be moving to Ottawa without a ******* clue as to how I'll be making a living.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks! Good luck to you too.

It's Ottawa so

Are you bilingual?

Unfortunately, I am not. This has been a huge hurdle for me, especially when applying to federal jobs.

I think in order for us to help you we'd need more information....

I.e. what kind of degree... what is your experience like... special skills etc..

I have a degree in English literature and communications. I can write and edit web copy, reports, and other miscellaneous documents. I'm also pretty good at talking to clients. I have experience in the insurance industry and the customer service industry. Basically, any entry level office position would be fantastic.

Thanks again for your help.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Ding ding ding ding ding

But seriously, Ottawa's an awful job market for undergrads who aren't bilingual. My cousin had a Masters and was bilingual and couldn't find a job after his internship with CIDA ended... so it can be pretty rough.

This.

I'm looking to get the heck out of Ottawa because I'm not bilingual and will be severely underemployed for the rest of my life if I stay. My advice would be to head elsewhere OP.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I want a job in Ottawa too, I speak American and Canadian and my biggest weakness is I work too darn hard. 100k and above offers only please.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This.

I'm looking to get the heck out of Ottawa because I'm not bilingual and will be severely underemployed for the rest of my life if I stay. My advice would be to head elsewhere OP.

I'm honestly considering this myself

I have a decent job in a government call (through an agency so no pension or benefits) centre but dear lord is it soul sucking

I've been in Ottawa since 2008, I think I need a change of scenery. This town ain't what it used to be (or maybe I'm just getting soft with being slightly older)

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I'm honestly considering this myself

I have a decent job in a government call (through an agency so no pension or benefits) centre but dear lord is it soul sucking

I've been in Ottawa since 2008, I think I need a change of scenery. This town ain't what it used to be (or maybe I'm just getting soft with being slightly older)

I think a big part of it is budget cuts by the feds, rather than you getting soft.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think a big part of it is budget cuts by the feds, rather than you getting soft.

I don't know if it's just the government

I mean look at the market nowadays: it's a joke, it's overrun by corporate bars that are all the same and a horde of crack-smoking bums. There are still some nice places of course (Mercury Lounge, Chez Lucien, Lafayette, Avant-Garde) but the market, the center of life in Ottawa, has been in decline for a while now; of course the previously mentionned corporate bars make a killing so it's not like there's an incentive for things to change either.

I still like Ottawa, it was for the last ten years my city of refuge, but things have changed and not to my liking.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I don't know if it's just the government

I mean look at the market nowadays: it's a joke, it's overrun by corporate bars that are all the same and a horde of crack-smoking bums. There are still some nice places of course (Mercury Lounge, Chez Lucien, Lafayette, Avant-Garde) but the market, the center of life in Ottawa, has been in decline for a while now; of course the previously mentionned corporate bars make a killing so it's not like there's an incentive for things to change either.

I still like Ottawa, it was for the last ten years my city of refuge, but things have changed and not to my liking.

Fair enough. I've only been here three years so perhaps I simply haven't been around long enough to notice the change. Probably only going to be here for another seven months or so.

cage

Apr 25, 2004
I haven't had luck in Ottawa (I'm a bio science grad). My degree is more specific though. If I were you I would start using those Pimsleur french audio cds. They really helped me, but then I stopped and forgot everything.

Leachman

May 13, 2007
Bilingualism is only really a requirement for government or service industries. The private sector is different IMO, though perhaps I am referring to professions rather than jobs.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Go to Algonquin and learn a skill. You'll then find a job. These general undergrad degrees are nice for your education, but not for job training.

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ding ding ding ding ding
But seriously, Ottawa's an awful job market for undergrads who aren't bilingual. My cousin had a Masters and was bilingual and couldn't find a job after his internship with CIDA ended... so it can be pretty rough.

Bah, this isn't true, not at all.

I work as a section head in National Defence. Up until two years ago when the layoffs began, we hired about 10 people a year in my section and a second peer section we work closely with. Now we hire 1-2 a year and that will continue another two years or so when we expect growth to resume.

In this department less than 50% of jobs require some sort of bilingualism. The senior ones mostly do, but that's ok because you can get training as a junior employee. Even those jobs that do require french, few require you to be actually bilingual.

Seek out departments that do not interface with the public, or ones that do not do most of their work in Ottawa or Quebec. Far less bilingualism in those departments. DND, CSE, Fisheries, Coast Guard, Agriculture, things like that. Stay away from the ones that deal with people all the time (CRA, Customs) and ones that deal with inter-governmental issues (PWGSC, Privy Council Office).

Just my two cents. I don't speak a lick of french and about half of my colleagues are the same.

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa
Bah, this isn't true, not at all.

I work as a section head in National Defence. Up until two years ago when the layoffs began, we hired about 10 people a year in my section and a second peer section we work closely with. Now we hire 1-2 a year and that will continue another two years or so when we expect growth to resume.

In this department less than 50% of jobs require some sort of bilingualism. The senior ones mostly do, but that's ok because you can get training as a junior employee. Even that jobs that require french, few require you to be actually bilingual.

Seek out departments that do not interface with the public, or ones that do not do most of their work in Ottawa or Quebec. Far less bilingualism in those departments. DND, CSE, Fisheries, Coast Guard, Agriculture, things like that. Stay away from the ones that deal with people all the time (CRA, Customs) and ones that deal with inter-governmental issues (PWGSC, Privy Council Office).

Just my two cents. I don't speak a lick of french and about half of my colleagues are the same.

I've been in the feds for nearly 10 years and I have seen a lot of people come and go. If you want in, you are WAY better positioned if you have your bilingual qualifications. Sure the odd anglophone is hired here and there but they are few and far between. I've been with 3 departments (1 in Gatineau and 2 in Ottawa) and it is the same everywhere I have been.

My wife is in the feds and the same thing goes for her. IF you live in Ottawa and want a career in the feds, learn french.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad