Player Discussion Joakim Nygård

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He’s not hurting us defensively. His 7.7 shooting % leaves something to be desired but I’ve liked his play better than Haas.

I actually think Haas has the bigger upside skill wise but his minutes get dicked around and I think the club thinks more of Nygard. Have to say Haas has had some abysmal bad D zone breaks as well. Plays like Bear banging a puck off his skate which leads immediately to a GA. Sometimes its just bad breaks.

But Nygard seems to think the game quite well. Not so much a matter of the NHL game needing to slow down as another poster mentioned, but just working on his shots, scoring moves etc. Man, his chances are just absolutely wasted. He's had as many scoring chances as Sheahan and Archibald put together but just doesn't cash.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I actually think Haas has the bigger upside skill wise but his minutes get dicked around and I think the club thinks more of Nygard. Have to say Haas has had some abysmal bad D zone breaks as well. Plays like Bear banging a puck off his skate which leads immediately to a GA. Sometimes its just bad breaks.

But Nygard seems to think the game quite well. Not so much a matter of the NHL game needing to slow down as another poster mentioned, but just working on his shots, scoring moves etc. Man, his chances are just absolutely wasted. He's had as many scoring chances as Sheahan and Archibald put together but just doesn't cash.
I agree, if he could bury a few more I see a player there. As you said he seems to think the play quite well. Haas? I’m not yet convinced.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
One year deals keep players hungry. I doubt he's going to crawl into a corner, sobbing in the fetal position if he doesn't get a 2 year deal. Our previous GM liked to give out multi year deals to almost everyone he signed or traded for. How did that work out?
I can agree with that. Keeping a player hungry would be valuable. It really comes down to how valuable the organization sees him, how the league sees him, and whether they think he'd be better off "hungry", or feeling like he has the confidence of the org in a two year deal.

Either way, as long as we're not re singing him for anything over what we can bury in the minors, I'm happy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree, if he could bury a few more I see a player there. As you said he seems to think the play quite well. Haas? I’m not yet convinced.

Every level Haas has played is he's constantly got better. He was considered a pretty good thinking player in European play but that can be a disadvantage as he has possibly more tendencies to unlearn. You still see it with players like Draisaitl as well. For instance when Drai will do a big ice turn around instead of a sharper hard cut. Little wtf moments that make you remember who played on big ice before.

The word on Haas is he's a player, but may take longer to gear up to this level.

My wish is for the club to stick with some of these guys and keep giving them time. I think with all of Archibald, Sheahan, Nygard we've seen improvements. Haas I think is getting on himself a bit. Looks frustrated whereas earlier he had more composure.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Every level Haas has played is he's constantly got better. He was considered a pretty good thinking player in European play but that can be a disadvantage as he has possibly more tendencies to unlearn. You still see it with players like Draisaitl as well. For instance when Drai will do a big ice turn around instead of a sharper hard cut. Little wtf moments that make you remember who played on big ice before.

The word on Haas is he's a player, but may take longer to gear up to this level.

My wish is for the club to stick with some of these guys and keep giving them time. I think with all of Archibald, Sheahan, Nygard we've seen improvements. Haas I think is getting on himself a bit. Looks frustrated whereas earlier he had more composure.
Some good points for sure. Haas is also a center and with that comes different responsibilities and it’s maybe a little easier to spot his flaws. Either way they’ve both looked better than I expected at the start of the year. Sheahan and Archibald look great in comparison.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Pretty happy with both Haas and Nygard. They have good pace to their game. Sustains and creates energy. Good finds on Holland and the scouts part.

Reactions: GOilers88

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

I think when Haas has come to understandig wich surfaces works, he will be a good goalscorer. Those defensive smart centers, who can see the ice pretty well, can get these offensive awareness. But may guess is that he doesnt get a new contract after the year. Sadly enough.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Robert Nilsson used to do pirouettes and triple axels instead of mucking for the puck in the corners and shooting it and coming back and playing defence, so I suspect he was used to only using half of the ice surface and also with a dance partner.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I really like what Nygard brings. Covers a lot of ice fast, and is always a threat for takeaways!

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I totally missed what happened to him last night. I seen him block a pretty hard shot...was that it or did something else happen later?

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I totally missed what happened to him last night. I seen him block a pretty hard shot...was that it or did something else happen later?

I’m pretty sure that’s it, he only played like 3-4 mins and I don’t think he came back after that.

Reactions: McFuhryous

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Now Benson really have to come in!

I also have hoping for Haas to find his gear. I feel Holland and Tippet has low hopes on him at the moment.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Nah, Cave or Currie will be called up. Not Benson.

yNlQWRM.jpg

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Really unfortunate for Nygard. You can see glimpses of the player he can be as he was gaining confidence and understanding of NHL game (style and commitment). He was beginning to use his elite skating effectively on the forecheck and finding a place in a bottom six role. Doesn't look like the scoring will translate but I think there is a guy who can be an effective third or fourth line winger.
While he got hurt making an awkward block, he didn't hesitate to put himself in harm's way to stop a scoring chance. This is the character and heart intangible aspect required to play in this league.

Hope he can recover sooner than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad