Player Discussion Joakim Nygård

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
I like him alot. He's really starting to figure out the NHL style. His speed alone is worth it, even if he's not scoring goals. Some games he causes so much trouble for the other team.

Reactions: Aerchon

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I've been pretty happy with him. Nice addition to the bottom-6, good tenacity and his speed is major asset. He's made a positive impact, imo.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've been a big fan of Sheahan, Archibald all along. Nygard adds something in the lineup with his speed, cover, and pursuit, but its frustrating to me how much he botches scoring chances. He seems to get more than the other two but has trouble finishing.

Nygard isn't a physical player, and isn't hard to play against. In my book if you lack in that you have to make up for it in other ways. Nygard needs to be better offensively than a Sheahan, than a Archibald, who give a team more intangibles. But Nygard isn't He's a bit disappointing offensively. One would expect more of a skill package.

The analytics guys really seem to like him.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I've been a big fan of Sheahan, Archibald all along. Nygard adds something in the lineup with his speed, cover, and pursuit, but its frustrating to me how much he botches scoring chances. He seems to get more than the other two but has trouble finishing.

Nygard isn't a physical player, and isn't hard to play against. In my book if you lack in that you have to make up for it in other ways. Nygard needs to be better offensively than a Sheahan, than a Archibald, who give a team more intangibles. But Nygard isn't He's a bit disappointing offensively. One would expect more of a skill package.

He should give a whole summer practicing wristshots, snapshots and some slapshot - slapshots in speed is a good weapon. Like 4 h a day. Just on that alone. What does speed do, if you cant finnish or even shoot?

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I didn't realize how good his hands were until the last 10 or so games. If he adds a decent shot to his arsenal, he will be a complete player

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
He’s not hurting us defensively. His 7.7 shooting % leaves something to be desired but I’ve liked his play better than Haas.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
I think he has the upside of a guy like Paul Byron. A little less skill, but more size and tenacity.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
He’s not hurting us defensively. His 7.7 shooting % leaves something to be desired but I’ve liked his play better than Haas.
I think apart of their struggles, is that they had to carry a line together themselfs for a while, as rookies.
Third fill-in was Chiasson, this seasons big "back-to-earth" trophy winner, who is mediocer at finnish open lane shots.

Reactions: Messrules11

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As has been written ad nauseam about this player and Haas, this is their 1st year playing in NA, and playing in the best league in the world to boot. Let's give them time to adjust, as in at least a year. To this point, I like what both of them bring to the table, with speed, some smart defensive play and the willingness to stick their nose in traffic.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
The impressive thing about Nygard (and Haas) too, is that they're not intimidated in the slightest. They make plays. Remember that goal by Chiasson against the Leafs? Nygard made a very savvy play, just deking a bit under the defenders stick to pop the puck in to space for Chiasson. That's not the kind of thing most grinders think to do, because it's a little risky.

I think the kid has earned another contract for sure.

Reactions: Oilhawks

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
What does speed do, if you cant finnish or even shoot?
It draws hooking/slashing penalties, forces opponents to rush passes resulting in bobbles and turnovers, cuts off passing lanes faster, helps penalty killing, and helps negate odd man rushes against. And, yes, I wish Nygard was a better finisher.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I don't mind Nygard, don't think he hurts us on a line with them. That said he could be better and we could find a better fit but either way I don't see him as a negative

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
The big positive for me with both him and Haas is that they are getting better as the season rolls along which is what you want to see from these mid-career guys out of Europe. I would be interested to see them both back after they’ve had a full off season knowing what you need to survive in the NHL.

I also wouldn’t be overly surprised if Nygard manages to end up with double digits in goals at the end of the regular season now that he’s starting to figure things out a bit. Would have to hit a bit of a hot streak of course but I could see it happening.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
It draws hooking/slashing penalties, forces opponents to rush passes resulting in bobbles and turnovers, cuts off passing lanes faster, helps penalty killing, and helps negate odd man rushes against. And, yes, I wish Nygard was a better finisher.
He’s actually been really good at the negating odd man rushes against part, really good at supporting the D on the backcheck.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
He is tenacious. Still learning what to do with the puck sometimes, trying to pull some moves that don't always work, but this a project I would stick with for longer. 2 years @ under or at a million should be doable.
He is a lot more effective for Sheahan-Archibald than Khaira is. We want to play fast, not indecisive and sluggish for that line.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He is tenacious. Still learning what to do with the puck sometimes, trying to pull some moves that don't always work, but this a project I would stick with for longer. 2 years @ under or at a million should be doable.
He is a lot more effective for Sheahan-Archibald than Khaira is. We want to play fast, not indecisive and sluggish for that line.
No, this is exactly the type of player you do not dish out multi year deals for. Still an unknown 4th liner. These kinds of players should be getting one year deals only.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
No, this is exactly the type of player you do not dish out multi year deals for. Still an unknown 4th liner. These kinds of players should be getting one year deals only.
If it's under the amount that gets buried by sending him to the AHL, I really don't think a 2 year deal is that bad. Worst case we waive him and he plays for the condors for 2 seasons or until he decides to leave for overseas. The only one losing in that case is Katz who would be paying him the same in the AHL, but his caphit would be gone. I guess if you're worried about contract spots it could be an issue, but again, I don't think it'd be hard to move a guy playing in the AHL with 0 NHL cap hit if push came to shove.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If it's under the amount that gets buried by sending him to the AHL, I really don't think a 2 year deal is that bad. Worst case we waive him and he plays for the condors for 2 seasons or until he decides to leave for overseas. The only one losing in that case is Katz who would be paying him the same in the AHL, but his caphit would be gone. I guess if you're worried about contract spots it could be an issue, but again, I don't think it'd be hard to move a guy playing in the AHL with 0 NHL cap hit if push came to shove.
But why a 2 year deal? Multi year deals are what you give out when you think you have a decent handle on the player. We know very little about him so far, other than he's got some speed and has some defensive tenacity. And yes, contracts are an issue, as are spots in the AHL.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
But why a 2 year deal? Multi year deals are what you give out when you think you have a decent handle on the player. We know very little about him so far, other than he's got some speed and has some defensive tenacity. And yes, contracts are an issue, as are spots in the AHL.

I just feel like mentally, a 2 year deal would be big for someone coming over from europe and will allow him to feel more comfortable in his position here, which could lead to further improved performance. It's not like he's an over the hill player who's slowing down as the season goes on. A defensively reliable player with incredibly speed and potentially some hidden offensive prowess whos just now adjusting to the NHL game is certainly worth a 2 year vote of confidence at the maximum amount you can bury in the AHL imo. That said, he hasn't shown anything that would really upset me if we didn't re sign him for 2 years, I just think the difference in a 1 and 2 year deal for a euro player is going to be big for him, while being minimally risky for us aside from the amount of contracts we have, which will hopefully see some relief this offseason.

Reactions: MikeFLB

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I just feel like mentally, a 2 year deal would be big for someone coming over from europe and will allow him to feel more comfortable in his position here, which could lead to further improved performance. It's not like he's an over the hill player who's slowing down as the season goes on. A defensively reliable player with incredibly speed and potentially some hidden offensive prowess whos just now adjusting to the NHL game is certainly worth a 2 year vote of confidence at the maximum amount you can bury in the AHL imo. That said, he hasn't shown anything that would really upset me if we didn't re sign him for 2 years, I just think the difference in a 1 and 2 year deal for a euro player is going to be big for him, while being minimally risky for us aside from the amount of contracts we have, which will hopefully see some relief this offseason.
One year deals keep players hungry. I doubt he's going to crawl into a corner, sobbing in the fetal position if he doesn't get a 2 year deal. Our previous GM liked to give out multi year deals to almost everyone he signed or traded for. How did that work out?

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
One year deals keep players hungry. I doubt he's going to crawl into a corner, sobbing in the fetal position if he doesn't get a 2 year deal. Our previous GM liked to give out multi year deals to almost everyone he signed or traded for. How did that work out?
Look no further than Khaira, 2 years of junk

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country

Well I was thinking along the Jones contract given his age/prospect status.
But you're right, the safer bet is a 1 year deal. We should see his productivity take a leap next year before going multi-year.

What I love about the player is he's making those extra plays to keep pucks alive and in the offensive zone which I just love from the bottom 6.
Big believer in this player's effectiveness right now. His speed isn't just aimless skating for miles, it's true puck pursuit and targeted to put pressure on the opposition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad