Former Bruins Joakim Nordstrom

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Who do we have in the system that is currently as good as him? Frederic? Maybe, but can he keep up? It's only 2 years, after next year you could waive him if need be.

Isn't extending Nordstrom (and Wagner) no different than Chiarelli extending the likes of Paille/Campbell/Thornton/Kelly, etc.

I look at this roster and I see 11 forward spots (out of potentially 13 or 14) locked up.

That doesn't include Lindholm (another 4th liner) whose signed for next year.

Kuhlman has to clear waivers and is at the very least an NHL level 4th line player.

Are they just going to waive Senyshyn after spending half-a-decade developing him.?

Where does Studnicka fit, as he looks like he belongs in the show Would be a shame if he's in Providence when he belongs in the NHL and is better than some of their other options.

You mention Frederic. He doesn't need to clear waivers but he's also a 3rd year pro and now 4 seasons post his draft year.

Are the Bruins going to bring anyone in, or is it just status quo?

So already you have basically 16 forwards competing for spots, Nordstrom makes it 17. I just don't see how you can bring EVERYONE back from the current parent club roster. If Nordstrom comes back then more than a couple forwards gotta go IMO.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Isn't extending Nordstrom (and Wagner) no different than Chiarelli extending the likes of Paille/Campbell/Thornton/Kelly, etc.

I look at this roster and I see 11 forward spots (out of potentially 13 or 14) locked up.

Kuhlman has to clear waivers and is at the very least an NHL level 4th line player.

Are they just going to waive Senyshyn after spending half-a-decade developing him.?

Where does Studnicka fit, as he looks like he belongs in the show Would be a shame if he's in Providence when he belongs in the NHL and is better than some of their other options.

You mention Frederic. He doesn't need to clear waivers but he's also a 3rd year pro and now 4 seasons post his draft year.

So already you have basically 16 forwards competing for spots, Nordstrom makes it 17. I just don't see how you can bring EVERYONE back from the current parent club roster. If Nordstrom comes back then more than a couple forwards gotta go IMO.

If waiving Kuhlman lets you keep Nordy, you waive Kuhlman.

I'm not sure Seny gets claimed, he's well below 0.5ppg in the AHL,

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Waive Kuhlman- Nordstrom is more valuable to the Bruins. It shouldn't even be a question. Give Senyshyn an honest shot at making the team in camp- if he does, you can waive/trade Nordstrom. He has value. Same deal with Frederic, if he wins a spot, so be it. If not, we keep Nordstrom.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

My point is at some point you need to leave some roster spots open for the young players the Bruins spend time, resources, and money on developing to see what they can do. I'm not against bringing him back entirely and like the player, but let's be honest about the player were talking about here. He's a good 4th line player. People cried and whined about keeping Riley Nash, who put up a lot more point in final year as a Bruin and no one is missing him. You have to have roster turnover in a cap system.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Waive Kuhlman- Nordstrom is more valuable to the Bruins. It shouldn't even be a question. Give Senyshyn an honest shot at making the team in camp- if he does, you can waive/trade Nordstrom. He has value. Same deal with Frederic, if he wins a spot, so be it. If not, we keep Nordstrom.

Yeah, when does a team hand a guy a two-year one-way deal over the summer only to trade or waive him before the season begins? Never.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Kuhlman and Senny gone or in the minors. Studnicka another year in the A or top 9 with us. Frederic can wait, hasn't shown me anything to make me think he can be an NHL regular.

Top line
JDB-Krejci-Kase
Bjork/Ritchie-Coyle-Stud/Bjork
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
Lindholm-Ritchie (if Stud makes the top 9)

I don't see anything wrong with that lineup? I mean, they had the best regular season in the NHL.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Kuhlman and Senny gone or in the minors. Studnicka another year in the A or top 9 with us. Frederic can wait, hasn't shown me anything to make me think he can be an NHL regular.

Top line
JDB-Krejci-Kase
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

I don't see anything wrong with that lineup? I mean, they had the best regular season in the NHL.

I don't even see the point in holding a training camp if your just going to bring back every single regular from this season. Just tell your 23 guys to rest up and get ready for the regular season.

Where's the competition? What kind of message are you sending your prospects when you bring em' to camp with a full roster already of waiver-eligible one-way contracts?

I've had this issue for years. This fascination with set-in-stone 4th lines trying to reinvent the Merlot line over and over. Every year should be some transition. Let your non-core vets leave for greener pastures, and naturally replace them with younger guys. Is this debate about Nordstrom any different than say Tim Schaller in 2018?

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Top line
JDB-Krejci-Kase
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

It’s definitely a great lineup but I think with the flat cap it’s especially important to work in young guys on cheap deals when you can, and imo the Bruins have more than a few guys who can be good 4th liners next year for cheaper than Nordstrom

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't even see the point in holding a training camp if your just going to bring back every single regular from this season. Just tell your 23 guys to rest up and get ready for the regular season.

Where's the competition? What kind of message are you sending your prospects when you bring em' to camp with a full roster already of waiver-eligible one-way contracts?

I've had this issue for years. This fascination with set-in-stone 4th lines trying to reinvent the Merlot line over and over. Every year should be some transition. Let your non-core vets leave for greener pastures, and naturally replace them with younger guys. Is this debate about Nordstrom any different than say Tim Schaller in 2018?

It’s definitely a great lineup but I think with the flat cap it’s especially important to work in young guys on cheap deals when you can, and imo the Bruins have more than a few guys who can be good 4th liners next year for cheaper than Nordstrom

Sorry, I don't see any in house candidates to be honest, nearly as capable as Nordstrom. 1.5 mil means you can bury him for 400k or whatever (not that you would). Bruins rarely if ever break these guys in on the 4th line. We've had vet after vet after vet there because there really have never been kids able to fill the role.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sorry, I don't see any in house candidates to be honest, nearly as capable as Nordstrom. 1.5 mil means you can bury him for 400k or whatever (not that you would). Bruins rarely if ever break these guys in on the 4th line. We've had vet after vet after vet there because there really have never been kids able to fill the role.

Which has always been a mistake IMO. Because limiting young players to only lines 2 and 3, is really a disservice to the 4 experienced players on lines 2 and 3. I never understood Julien or Cassidy's approach to prioritizing stability on the 4th line over Lines 2/3. Why priortize stability on what should be the line that plays the least.

Take Frederic for example. I don't think he's ever going to be more than a bottom 6 forward, and closer to a 4th liner than a 3rd. He should be Kuraly's replacement in 2021-22, but you can be guaranteed their will be the same outcry a year from now that the Bruins must re-sign Kuraly. I don't see any reason with Frederic's skillset (other than his skating which I'm still not convinced is good enough) that he can't break in on the 4th line.

I'll ask this......why can't Bjork be Nordstrom's replacement?

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

fair enough. I would be surprised if they keep him but I wouldn’t be upset at all. I couldn’t understand why they signed him in the first place but he made me look foolish

Reactions: LouJersey

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The guy works his ass off every shift. Blocks shots, hits, is hard on every single opponent regardless of their size. Sign him for 1 more year and waive lindhlom(who is a solid 4th liner). Nordy is a-ok in my books for 1 more year.
Think he may get better offers else where, more term, 3 years maybe?

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Nordstrom with Clifton are two players that bring energy. Kuraly is another sometimes, but i don’t feel him as fearless as Nordstrom.
Space for kids... they also need to make their own place. Bruins don’t have to give the spots, kids need also to earn them.

I like Nordstrom.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Take Frederic for example. I don't think he's ever going to be more than a bottom 6 forward, and closer to a 4th liner than a 3rd. He should be Kuraly's replacement in 2021-22, but you can be guaranteed their will be the same outcry a year from now that the Bruins must re-sign Kuraly. I don't see any reason with Frederic's skillset (other than his skating which I'm still not convinced is good enough) that he can't break in on the 4th line.

I'll ask this......why can't Bjork be Nordstrom's replacement?

I am not sure if Bjork even checks his own luggage at the airport, let alone know how to block a shot.

Game one Nordy 7 hits 1 block shot - Bjork one hit, one giveaway. Bjork 3 shots on net, Nordy 2 = both no goals.

For the 4th line you want a guy to skate, hit and sacrifice his body. Bjork can only skate.

I like both guys but they both need to go. Frederic could start out on the 4th next year and give them a different element with Lindholm as the extra.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think just based on who the Bruins have under contract next season (Kuraly, Wagner, Lindholm, Frederic, even Bjork), the writing is on the wall that he won't be back, but he was such a solid signing. I remember this was one of those, "Why would you sign him?" contracts because they also had Kuraly, Acciari and Wagner, and he really didn't have a good reputation among fans of other teams in the way they talked about him. This was basically like the Brett Ritchie contract, except it went completely differently.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I think just based on who the Bruins have under contract next season (Kuraly, Wagner, Lindholm, Frederic, even Bjork), the writing is on the wall that he won't be back, but he was such a solid signing. I remember this was one of those, "Why would you sign him?" contracts because they also had Kuraly, Acciari and Wagner, and he really didn't have a good reputation among fans of other teams in the way they talked about him. This was basically like the Brett Ritchie contract, except it went completely differently.

He is another success story where management finds these under the radar guy 4th line guys, signs them to short contracts, watches them outperform and then let them walk for a nice payday. They need to stay disciplined here. I think they broke away from this model with Wagner which looked questionable then and still does in my opinion.

Let Nordy walk and wish him well.

Reactions: Blowfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad