Former Bruins Joakim Nordstrom

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
Must have missed where I lauded Wagner, a fourth-line player. Or in the Kuraly thread where I did the same for the player and the signing. And the makeup of (what I assume will be) the fourth line.

I don't ask for the fourth line to be a third or a second. I do however request that it be built with players who bring something to the table other than wasted clock.

Nordstom brings penalty killing. I didn't know much about Wagner, and virtually nothing about Nordstrom, but I knew that anybody Sweeney signed would have a penalty killing pedigree. Schaller and Nash20 ate up alot of penalty killing minutes, and if I know nothing else about Sweeney et al, I think that they place a HUGE emphasis on the PK. And sure enough when I looked it up:

Nordstrom 2nd only to Jordan Staal in PK minutes as a forward on Carolina last year
Wagner: Led the Ducks in PK minutes for forwards last year

And while we are it, John Moore logged heavy PK minutes on D last year for the Devils. And Kuraly is one of the few rookies who Cassidy trusted on the PK up front.

Like it or not (and I for one like it), the Bruins have a heavy emphasis on the PK, and it was a big part of their success last year. And when you are in a division with Tampa and Toronto and those lethal powerplays, it is not something trivial. You can completely disagree with this approach (and I know some downplay the importance of forwards with PK experience), but to me these kind of signings were entirely predictable.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Nordstom brings penalty killing. I didn't know much about Wagner, and virtually nothing about Nordstrom, but I knew that anybody Sweeney signed would have a penalty killing pedigree. Schaller and Nash20 ate up alot of penalty killing minutes, and if I know nothing else about Sweeney et al, I think that they place a HUGE emphasis on the PK. And sure enough when I looked it up:

Nordstrom 2nd only to Jordan Staal in PK minutes as a forward on Carolina last year
Wagner: Led the Ducks in PK minutes for forwards last year

And while we are it, John Moore logged heavy PK minutes on D last year for the Devils. And Kuraly is one of the few rookies who Cassidy trusted on the PK up front.

Like it or not (and I for one like it), the Bruins have a heavy emphasis on the PK, and it was a big part of their success last year. And when you are in a division with Tampa and Toronto and those lethal powerplays, it is not something trivial. You can completely disagree with this approach (and I know some downplay the importance of forwards with PK experience), but to me these kind of signings were entirely predictable.

good post, as you stated, the departure of Riley Nash and Schaller, while perhaps not going to sting them big time in offensive production (although both had nice seasons), it`s on the PK where both showed their value to the team and it absolutely was an area that needed to be addressed and it appears DS did just that with his acquisitions and I liked that he didn`t pay either of them big $$$

I can`t speak one bit to the games of either of the new B`s, just can`t recall seeing either play

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Boston Bruins: What you should know about Joakim Nordstrom

“I think my biggest asset as a player is my skating,” said Nordstrom. “I know the Bruins want to play fast, so that is, obviously, something I can help with. Then, just on special teams, the last couple years, I played a lot of PK, so that’s, obviously, something that I wanted to bring to the table, as well. I don’t want to limit myself to just be a special-teams guy, so hopefully I can take my game to the next level here with the Bruins.”

Reactions: Blowfish

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Must have missed where I lauded Wagner, a fourth-line player. Or in the Kuraly thread where I did the same for the player and the signing. And the makeup of (what I assume will be) the fourth line.

I don't ask for the fourth line to be a third or a second. I do however request that it be built with players who bring something to the table other than wasted clock.

I didn't miss it at all; I just think that you missed the value that both Schaller and Nash brought to the team in their roles.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Boston Bruins: What you should know about Joakim Nordstrom

“I think my biggest asset as a player is my skating,” said Nordstrom. “I know the Bruins want to play fast, so that is, obviously, something I can help with. Then, just on special teams, the last couple years, I played a lot of PK, so that’s, obviously, something that I wanted to bring to the table, as well. I don’t want to limit myself to just be a special-teams guy, so hopefully I can take my game to the next level here with the Bruins.”

Well he's much much better than JT on this aspect of his game!

Reactions: TCB

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I don't really remember him, but his guy seems to have a decent skill set, was inexpensive, and was signed to play fourth line. Seems excited to come here, I'm willing to see what he brings to the table.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
A lot of these role players are better offensively then they first seem , if they get opportunity to show it.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
being a UFA should the bruins Resign? the guy seems to step up his game in the PO but is it worth the extra few hundred thousand he would warrant over an entry level deal player

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
being a UFA should the bruins Resign? the guy seems to step up his game in the PO but is it worth the extra few hundred thousand he would warrant over an entry level deal player

I'd rather just have his roster spot go to a younger player. Not because of any kind of cap savings, but I think that's just a better use. They've got a number of younger players on the cusp, and you need to see if they can play.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Do does so much to help the team....tough call on this one. Maybe it's time a younger prospect get s in.

I'm okay either way....preference leaning towards resigning him.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
i don't know if they should extend him, but he had a terrific game yesterday.

There's not really a clear-cut replacement in the system for what he brings so I'd probably keep him around for the right money.

Reactions: BMC and Blowfish

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Other teams need what he brings more than Boston does and could probably offer him more ice time and get more out of him so IMO hell get more money elsewhere - like Acciari.

Last edited:

member 96824

Appreciate his play, I'd let him walk and fill his spot with a younger and cheaper option. Kuhlman's already on the roster, Studnicka has earned his way into this lineup, Frederic is knocking on the door as a guy who could use another extended look, while I don't think there's anything there...Senyshyn requires waivers starting next year to send to Providence. Plus the potential for surprises from guys like Lantosi, Lauko, Hughes, Steen.

I just don't think it makes sense to bring him back and I don't know if it makes sense for him to sign with us when he could probably get Wagner money elsewhere.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Nordstrom has really grown on me. Last year I thought our fourth line was at its best when it was Acciari-Kuraly-Wagner because they all played a straight ahead, in your face, relentless, pain in the ass style. I think Nordstrom noticed that from the press box because when he got his chance to get back in the lineup he played the exact same way and that line has been pretty much the same with him in there.

I would be fine with having him back but there is a big part of me that wants to see Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner fourth line. But Nordstrom alternating with Frederic to push him works for me too.

aguineapig

There was a play in last years playoffs where the puck came around the boards on Nordy's wing. He went full tilt towards the boards and extended his stick to tip the puck out of the zone. He knew full well he was going to be hammered into the boards, but did so with no regard for himself. There is no chicken in this Swede.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Like the player, I would be willing to keep him, depends on salary and term though.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
He's gonna get a bump in pay somewhere else, and find himself with more responsibility and ice time.

I don't see it happening for him here, but I'm fine with however it turns out. He's a gamer, and you know exactly what you'll get from him when it matters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad