Former Bruins Joakim Nordstrom

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
hmm fair point..we never saw Kemppainen lose a fight in his entire storied NHL career...and that's why he is....AND STILLL THE REIGNING, UNDISPUTED, UNDEFEATED HEAVYWEIGHT NHL CHAMPION OF THE WORLD.....JOOOOOOOOOOONAS KempPAINen!!!

In the interest of humor, you are making too much of this.

Nordstrom displayed a heartbeat, which was more than we saw from Kemppainen.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Nordstrom is a name I feel like I heard a lot when we played the Canes, but I don't remember him doing anything valuable. Did he also have a stint with the Blackhawks?

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Nordstrom is a name I feel like I heard a lot when we played the Canes, but I don't remember him doing anything valuable. Did he also have a stint with the Blackhawks?

Yes, that's his name at the very end after Dan Carcillo's. The Hawks had to petition to get his name included, based on his appearance in 3 playoff games.

I hope he can bring some of that Stanley Cup pedigree to Boston. ;)
ct-stanley-cup-names-blackhawks-spt-1004-20151003

Reactions: N o o d l e s

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Seems like he’s Schaller’s replacement.

But DS hopes he becomes Reilly Nash’s replacement.

As people have said, worst case you got a guy that played 82 last year upstairs.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm not sure I understand the angst here. He signed for small dough and its just a roll of the dice.

I may be wrong , usually am, but if he doesn't work out cant he be waived, sent to PB and league minimum $650 + $375 can come off the cap?

Or am I misunderstanding?
You're not misunderstanding Wally.

Not at all

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
if he doesn`t pop 20 this season, I call for the resignation of DS:sarcasm::laugh:

Sounds like he`s simply a responsible bottom 6 guy?

Spending 1 million on a forward who has scored 7 goals in his last 157 games deserves questioning. I would much rather see some of our talented prospects, even if they are not the complete package get the opportunity because at least they have upside and have the possibility of contributing offensively.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Spending 1 million on a forward who has scored 7 goals in his last 157 games deserves questioning. I would much rather see some of our talented prospects, even if they are not the complete package get the opportunity because at least they have upside and have the possibility of contributing offensively.

Maybe some of our "talented prospects" aren`t quite ready yet. I appreciated the job the 4th line did this year but they were overmatched by the Bolts experienced 4th line and if one of those kids shows they are in fact ready to move up, it`s not like the B`s are backed into a corner by this guy`s deal

I get he doesn`t score and I`d like a little bit of pop from the 4th but I`d rather 1 million on this guy than almost 3 for a guy named Reaves

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

I think this is just don Sweeney showing his comfort level (or lack there of) in the players in his systems ability to play on the 4th line in case of injury. Czarnik and vatrano never made sense there. Blidh took some dumb penalties. He probably was willing to pay 1 million for some reliability and continuity of play level on the 4th line if someone gets hurt. When acciari got hurt the 4th line wasn’t the same even with wingels or gionta in there. This guy seems like a true plug and play 4th liner that shouldn’t play more than half the season assuming some time is missed by kuraly acciari or Wagner. You could also spot him if one of those 3 is in a slump. They are probably all interchangeable with Nordstrom a little behind but not to the level that a blidh was.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Maybe some of our "talented prospects" aren`t quite ready yet. I appreciated the job the 4th line did this year but they were overmatched by the Bolts experienced 4th line and if one of those kids shows they are in fact ready to move up, it`s not like the B`s are backed into a corner by this guy`s deal

I get he doesn`t score and I`d like a little bit of pop from the 4th but I`d rather 1 million on this guy than almost 3 for a guy named Reaves

From what I can see this guy offers nothing, no offense, physicality or even speed, why is he even collecting an NHL paycheck, furthermore why are we reaching out, I don't get it. I would rather let Fitzgerald or some other guy from Providence who has toiled for us then a Hurricane castoff.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I've been trying to make sense of this signing and it's difficult. I don't see the requirement for roster "filler" and that's what Nordstrom strikes me as.

But I wonder if there is a PJ Axelsson connection here. Maybe Axey scouted him in Sweden and liked him? Maybe they scouted him as a pro and saw a similar player who just hadn't been in the right place yet to really show it off. Perhaps both?

Mr. Make-Believe

Look what the Bruins did for the careers of Schaller and Riley Nash. Play here for two years, double and triple your salaries.

This team and system is a good one, and nordstroms best years are ahead of him.

To much angst over a 12/13 forward.
If we are to use Schaller and Nash as the examples in an argument, it speaks for the dissenting, not the support.

I would sincerely hope that Nordstrom looks very little like these two.

Mr. Make-Believe

Why? Both were meh/unknown when they came to Boston and left making more money because they played well here.
Sometimes those two impressed. Much of the time (and I keep repeating this) they were filler. Won't hurt ya - won't help ya. There to eat minutes responsibly.

This isn't out of dislike for depth players. I've been very vocal in my support of Wagner because in addition to just being solid, he is also one of the most prolific hitters in the game. He brings something outstanding to the table.

I'm hoping Nordstrom does as well. In limited viewings the one thing I can say I've seen is an exceptionally dogged puck pursuer. That's where my Axelsson speculation stems from.

But to hope that he hits the heights of "mostly inconsequential" is... Pessimistic.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Sometimes those two impressed. Much of the time (and I keep repeating this) they were filler. Won't hurt ya - won't help ya. There to eat minutes responsibly.

This isn't out of dislike for depth players. I've been very vocal in my support of Wagner because in addition to just being solid, he is also one of the most prolific hitters in the game. He brings something outstanding to the table.

I'm hoping Nordstrom does as well. In limited viewings the one thing I can say I've seen is an exceptionally dogged puck pursuer. That's where my Axelsson speculation stems from.

But to hope that he hits the heights of "mostly inconsequential" is... Pessimistic.

Well, if they impressed more, they wouldn't be 4th liners lol.

I want Nordstrom to play a responsible two way game, be hard on the puck and along the walls, and help chip in with some solid energy shifts with his skating. His hit totals suggest he's not a wallflower, but Wagner and Acciari will do most of the heavy lifting in that area; I just want him to play his game and hopefully have a repeat of his 2015 year. 24 points from a 4th liner is pretty damn good.

Mr. Make-Believe

I want Nordstrom to play a responsible two way game, be hard on the puck and along the walls, and help chip in with some solid energy shifts with his skating. His hit totals suggest he's not a wallflower, but Wagner and Acciari will do most of the heavy lifting in that area; I just want him to play his game and hopefully have a repeat of his 2015 year. 24 points from a 4th liner is pretty damn good.
Must have missed where I lauded Wagner, a fourth-line player. Or in the Kuraly thread where I did the same for the player and the signing. And the makeup of (what I assume will be) the fourth line.

I don't ask for the fourth line to be a third or a second. I do however request that it be built with players who bring something to the table other than wasted clock.

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

I think what we skeptics are asking is what IS "his game?" What does he stand out for? I remember the name but the player, no.
If feels as though Cam got his man in Wagner, now Donnie got his man in Joakim. Happy marriage, I guess.:sarcasm::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->