Player Discussion Joakim Nordström

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Was still on that line for practice today, looks like Bruce is going to ride with it for a bit.

Good.

I have to laugh- people have been beyotching for months now about the Krejci line, how it isn't working, how Butch needs to do something so Bergeron's line doesn't have to do it all :blah::blah: So Butch puts Nordstrom on that line and now it is playing well. Now people are beyotching that Nordstrom isn't a second line winger, wtf is he doing there, he's taking a spot from one of the "better" options :blah::blah::blah: I mean, WTF? That line is working now. Isn't that what everyone wanted??? :dunno:

I don't care what Nordstrom did or didn't do prior to coming to Boston. He's getting the job done for the Bruins. Leave him there & leave that line alone.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Good.

I have to laugh- people have been beyotching for months now about the Krejci line, how it isn't working, how Butch needs to do something so Bergeron's line doesn't have to do it all :blah::blah: So Butch puts Nordstrom on that line and now it is playing well. Now people are beyotching that Nordstrom isn't a second line winger, wtf is he doing there, he's taking a spot from one of the "better" options :blah::blah::blah: I mean, WTF? That line is working now. Isn't that what everyone wanted??? :dunno:

I don't care what Nordstrom did or didn't do prior to coming to Boston. He's getting the job done for the Bruins. Leave him there & leave that line alone.
Yeah ride this out for as long as it works is how I'd go about it. There's some clear chemistry here.

Also Nordstrom is 26, who's not to say he's a bit of a late bloomer anyway?

Reactions: Strafer and BMC

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
As long as Debrusk is scoring I don’t mind Nordstrom on line 2 . I thought I saw Donato on the Krejci line in the 3rd period last game ? ? Personally I want to see Bjork with Krejci and Debrusk.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
TWO games? Wow! You must have been blown away. P.J....really?
Well that was certainly a necessary reply. I guess you missed the part where I said ‘a bit’ but why let that get in the way of good piece of snark, eh?

Reactions: BMC

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Well that was certainly a necessary reply. I guess you missed the part where I said ‘a bit’ but why let that get in the way of good piece of snark, eh?
Didn't mean to be snarky. I'm just surprised at your, and others' reaction after only two games.

He scored a nice goal against the Oilers. His second game he was ok. But mentioning him in the same sentence with Axelsson, well, I just can't see it.

I could change my opinion, but it would take a lot more than what he did on Thursday and Saturday.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Didn't mean to be snarky. I'm just surprised at your, and others' reaction after only two games.

He scored a nice goal against the Oilers. His second game he was ok. But mentioning him in the same sentence with Axelsson, well, I just can't see it.

I could change my opinion, but it would take a lot more than what he did on Thursday and Saturday.

Well this is not the first time I've seen him play, either. I always thought he showed a little something in Carolina. I don't know that he will be a PJ, just that there are some things about his game that remind a little bit. We would be so lucky that he might be that good, but I am not ready to anoint him. Just noting the skill set, the build, the skating- it is reminiscent.

Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins hope Joakim Nordstrom can add a spark to second line - The Boston Globe

Until further notice, Joakim Nordstrom is a top-six winger for the Bruins, riding on the left side of the second line with veteran pivot David Krejci and second-year forward Jake DeBrusk.

By the sound of things, Bruce Cassidy isn’t ready to issue a further notice. Slightly less than two weeks into the NHL season, with the Bruins clicking along at 4-1-0, the coach is willing to give the 26-year-old Swedish winger the chance to settle into the job for the long haul.

“He’s had some good looks around the net,” Cassidy said after his squad’s workout Monday morning in Brighton. “He’s found open space in the offensive zone — buried one, been robbed two or three times. So he’s not just one-way defensive insurance for that line. He can contribute at the offensive end.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I want to see a stretch of games with him on that line before saying "is nowhere close". This isn't fair to the player or the line. Chemistry creates opportunities so let's see how this progresses before deciding on failure. Paille is a pretty good comparison. Nordstrom does appear to be a little more physical in his style but pretty darn close.

I’m having a hard time figuring out why Nordstrom gets a “stretch of games” to see what he “really is”, but Heinen got two periods? Donato one game? I honestly don’t remember.

I don’t dislike Nordstrom, but he has a track record of 286 NHL games to go off of. I’m with BD, he’s ok for a few games, but not a long term solution by any stretch.

Nordstrom has played well, but I think the 2nd line’s recent success has far more to do with Krejci taking his head out of his butt than JN.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I’m having a hard time figuring out why Nordstrom gets a “stretch of games” to see what he “really is”, but Heinen got two periods? Donato one game? I honestly don’t remember.

I don’t dislike Nordstrom, but he has a track record of 286 NHL games to go off of. I’m with BD, he’s ok for a few games, but not a long term solution by any stretch.

Nordstrom has played well, but I think the 2nd line’s recent success has far more to do with Krejci taking his head out of his butt than JN.
For what it's worth I do agree that they didn't really give the other guys much of a look. That being said, Nordstrom has shown just as much offensively as these guys on that line, plus he obviously has the defensive prowess which is why I think he's gotten the extended look.

I think that Donato might need some time in Providence as well.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Good.

I feel like banging my head against the wall sometimes.....it is unbelievable how much people complain. I have grown to trust Cassidy's decisions - he knows what he is doing.

Reactions: Blowfish and BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Heinen (who I like a lot) got an entire season to show who he really is but for some reason this season he hasn't shown it yet. I don't know why he's on such a short leash w/Butch though.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad