Confirmed with Link: Joël Bouchard Named Laval Rocket Head Coach (Confirmed: Daniel Jacob Named Assistant Coach)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Like that's the only thing wrong with this GM and if it weren't for that we'd have no reason to crap on him. Oh, wait..the list is a mile long and this is the cherry on top.
Fill your boots....I’m talking about the nepotism vs cronyism debate....crap on him all you want, it’s well deserved on his part

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
So you’ve analyzed every team in the league and everyone each gm has hired over the years and did a background check on everyone on every team to know that Bergevin is the worst when it comes to nepotism??

What were your final numbers in this regard?? How much worst is he?? (Factual numbers)

I'm giving my opinion. If we were required to prove every one, there'd be no posts here. I won't make a list, because you're as aware of the situation and the examples as anyone else here.

I can say that of the hires and promotions Bergevin was directly responsible for, there was a noticeable majority of his old boy cronies and inept friends that were kept around despite terrible results and decisions. We can't even give him credit for Bouchard and Ducharme because of the apparantly forced firings after last season.

You still can't help trying to diminish criticisms of Bergevin. That's fine, by the way, but let's not pretend it's anything else.

Should we be watching your posts too? :laugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm giving my opinion. If we were required to prove every one, there'd be no posts here. I won't make a list, because you're as aware of the situation and the examples as anyone else here.

I can say that of the hires and promotions Bergevin was directly responsible for, there was a noticeable majority of his old boy cronies
and inept friends that were kept around despite terrible results and decisions. We can't even give him credit for Bouchard and Ducharme because of the apparantly forced firings after last season.
Did you notice who Joel Bouchard brought with him to Laval?

Both in the coaching staff and on the roster?

They should rename the Laval Rocket to L'Armada de Laval.

I think your problem is less that Bergevin brought his old cronies, but more that he couldn't properly evaluate the job they were doing because of those relationships.

You still can't help trying to diminish criticisms of Bergevin. That's fine, by the way, but let's not pretend it's anything else.

Should we be watching your posts too? :laugh:
I can't speak for @jaffy27 ...but I find it annoying the lengths at which some will go to criticize everything...

I mean what's next? Criticize the guy for not signing Marie-Philip Poulin as the #1C??

There's enough negativity around the team and especially on this board, 90% of the threads here are dedicated to crapping on the guy, do we need to make stuff up?

I mean, does anyone else not notice the irony of people complaining about Bergevin's nepotism practices in a thread that has Joel Bouchard naming Daniel Jacob as his assistant?

Anyone? Lol

I'm so going to regret posting this but so be it lol

Reactions: MrGold and jaffy27

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Did you notice who Joel Bouchard brought with him to Laval?

Both in the coaching staff and on the roster?

They should rename the Laval Rocket to L'Armada de Laval.

I think your problem is less that Bergevin brought his old cronies, but more that he couldn't properly evaluate the job they were doing because of those relationships.

I can't speak for @jaffy27 ...but I find it annoying the lengths at which some will go to criticize everything...

I mean what's next? Criticize the guy for not signing Marie-Philip Poulin as the #1C??

There's enough negativity around the team and especially on this board, 90% of the threads here are dedicated to crapping on the guy, do we need to make stuff up?

I mean, does anyone else not notice the irony of people complaining about Bergevin's nepotism practices in a thread that has Joel Bouchard naming Daniel Jacob as his assistant?

Anyone? Lol

I'm so going to regret posting this but so be it lol
Clearly, this is being brought up over and over again just because it's Bergevin.

I mean Bergevin played with Bouchard in Pittsburgh!

Why isn't this hiring being criticised? Just ridiculous double standards as usual.

Reactions: 417 and jaffy27

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Clearly, this is being brought up over and over again just because it's Bergevin.

Why isn't this hiring being criticised? Just ridiculous double standards as usual.

Why do you ask questions everyone knows the answers to? It's being brought up because even though cronyism and nepotisim are wide spread, Bergevin is not only chin deep in it, but he refuses to rectify the situations where the putz in question is demonstrably incompetent.

Just look back at the AHL since the arrival of Bergevin. Worst in hockey. Was there ever any chance of any of the co-conspirators in this travesty being fired? No leadership or oversight from Bergevin. Jobs for life until Molson put his baby foot down after last season.

It's extraordinary that people are still defending the Worst GM in Montreal History. You certainly have had the team that you deserve, I guess.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I can't say for sure...but I don't think an NHL executive hiring his son, is any different than an NHL executive hiring a recently retired player to head his development team.

It certainly is if that son isn't qualified for the job. Do you know how many Div III coaches get AHL jobs? You say it happens a lot but can you name 1 time it's happened in the NHL?

Yes, players are called up when injuries happen......by having DLR sit in Montreal and practice with the big club, did we really rob DLR of anything????

The great Lamoriello drafted Brodeur’s son.....geez, I wonder why??

That’s one example off the top of my head....there are hundreds more

Yes, the yo-yo is not a way to develop prospects. DLR started every season slowly, then he would start putting it together and then he started producing consistently only to get called up just as he was really starting to show something. Then after a mistake or two he's in the press box for days on end, then he's sent down. That's how you mess with a players confidence.

The team clearly has development issues and imo the yo-yoing doesn't help at all.

I doubt there are hundreds of examples of NHL executives having their son drafted by the team that employees them. In some cases it would make sense, if Domi worked for the Leafs and they drafted his son, it would be smart since he was one of the top players in the OHL. But drafting an average player because his dad is a crappy scout is not a smart move.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
No, i'm not confusing both...i'm just saying both of these things, nepotism & cryonism, are 2 practices regularly practiced throughout the NHL and other sports.

How many former players jump right into broadcasting after playing?

Bypassing a bunch of people who went to school, spent thousands of dollars getting degrees in the field, only to be usurped positions by guys who played the game because they're valued for their input as former players over their input as broadcasters or whatever may be the case.

These things aren't exclusive to the Habs....I know it's vogue to **** on the Habs right now, they're the evil empire, but sometimes people reach for just any reasons to **** on them.
I have no problem with the practice of hiring friends and relatives if the people being selected are qualified and so long as the person hiring his friends and relatives is also prepared to fire them when they don't get the job done. The trouble with this practice is that you're likely to cut a friend or a relative more slack than someone with whom you had no prior dealings when you hired them. That means you put up with sub-standard performance for longer before trying to fix it.

And in the case of the Habs, Bergevin wasn't even applying the first rule regarding candidates being properly qualified. Of course, he himself isn't qualified to have the job he's got so he can only dig the hole deeper by hiring people so dumb that they actually believe he's the smart one.

Simply put, the fact that it happens elsewhere doesn't make it right. Cronyism leads inevitably to a front office that more resembles a medieval royal court where people who are supposed to be working for a common goal wind up stabbing each other in the back as they try to curry favor with the king. If I'm in Bergevin's shoes, the first thing I want to do is surround myself not with my idiot drinking buddies but with people who are smarter than me. I hire smart people, let them do their work and take credit for their success. Only an idiot like Bergevin hires imbeciles who tell him what he wants to hear and then tries to foist the blame for his failure on said imbeciles as if people don't know what's really going on. But MB is more worried about making sure there are no threats to his position from within the organization than about having smart people running it for him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I have no problem with the practice of hiring friends and relatives if the people being selected are qualified and so long as the person hiring his friends and relatives is also prepared to fire them when they don't get the job done. The trouble with this practice is that you're likely to cut a friend or a relative more slack than someone with whom you had no prior dealings when you hired them. That means you put up with sub-standard performance for longer before trying to fix it.

And in the case of the Habs, Bergevin wasn't even applying the first rule regarding candidates being properly qualified. Of course, he himself isn't qualified to have the job he's got so he can only dig the hole deeper by hiring people so dumb that they actually believe he's the smart one.

Simply put, the fact that it happens elsewhere doesn't make it right. Cronyism leads inevitably to a front office that more resembles a medieval royal court where people who are supposed to be working for a common goal wind up stabbing each other in the back as they try to curry favor with the king. If I'm in Bergevin's shoes, the first thing I want to do is surround myself not with my idiot drinking buddies but with people who are smarter than me. I hire smart people, let them do their work and take credit for their success. Only an idiot like Bergevin hires imbeciles who tell him what he wants to hear and then tries to foist the blame for his failure on said imbeciles as if people don't know what's really going on. But MB is more worried about making sure there are no threats to his position from within the organization than about having smart people running it for him.

Why does "nepotism is bad" need to be explained?

Reactions: Runner77

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

So the entire front office is just a bunch of imbeciles, across the board, everyone is dumb and people are hiring dumber people so they feel their jobs will be safe?....how do you even believe this theory of yours?

Sounds more like your just pissed and like to imagine that everyone that works for the Canadiens is just lost, dumb and confused.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009

If the hiring was criticized you would just say “ How can you criticize the guy before he has a chance ffs!!!”

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Giving newly hired staff the benefit of the doubt is actually incredibly consistent with a rational approach to evaluating the team.

Your assessment is, intentionally or not, lacking in cohesive logic and, ironically, guilty of the exact hypocrisy you cite.

Most thoughtful fans are critical of MB because of plentiful and continuous examples of his lack of judgment, plan and managerial ability.

They also, by and large, were supportive or at worst ambivalent about new hires during his tenure... Be it buddies like Lapointe & Lefebvre, or retreads like MT & Julien.

It's only once said hires failed to perform effectively in their positions that criticism was directed towards them and ultimately MB since he is the one in charge.

Being deragatory towards posters with inconsistent & inaccurate criticism such as the one you posted above is pointless beyond further exposing the deeply jaded and biased lens through which you approach your peers on this board.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
So the entire front office is just a bunch of imbeciles, across the board, everyone is dumb and people are hiring dumber people so they feel their jobs will be safe?....how do you even believe this theory of yours?

Sounds more like your just pissed and like to imagine that everyone that works for the Canadiens is just lost, dumb and confused.

Gross generalizations weaken your argument and add zero value... Why bother?

Reactions: Cobra Commander

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Is it too early to call him a bust, say he's ruining our players, laugh at his pants and claim nepotism? If not I'm all in!! Might as well get a head start.

Reactions: David Suzuki

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Gross generalizations weaken your argument and add zero value... Why bother?
Gross generalizations.......yes, an HF mascot that defines most comments here.....you’ve added nothing to an argument which you’ve described as weak which makes your counter argument lame and spineless......why bother......

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Gross generalizations.......yes, an HF mascot that defines most comments here.....you’ve added nothing to an argument which you’ve described as weak which makes your counter argument lame and spineless......why bother......

I called out your useless post for what it was...

Why bother?

Because I enjoy this site and those who contribute quality. if no one speaks up to your type of posting, the place quickly degenerates & loses its quality because the good posters eventually leave or get drowned out by the immature sensationalist.

Reactions: montreal

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It certainly is if that son isn't qualified for the job. Do you know how many Div III coaches get AHL jobs? You say it happens a lot but can you name 1 time it's happened in the NHL?

Yes, the yo-yo is not a way to develop prospects. DLR started every season slowly, then he would start putting it together and then he started producing consistently only to get called up just as he was really starting to show something. Then after a mistake or two he's in the press box for days on end, then he's sent down. That's how you mess with a players confidence.

The team clearly has development issues and imo the yo-yoing doesn't help at all.

I doubt there are hundreds of examples of NHL executives having their son drafted by the team that employees them. In some cases it would make sense, if Domi worked for the Leafs and they drafted his son, it would be smart since he was one of the top players in the OHL. But drafting an average player because his dad is a crappy scout is not a smart move.

Are you referring to Danny Audette being drafted??

If so, who after Danny that was still available should we have targeted instead of him??.....I’m sure at the time of the pick it was a crap shoot and they said let’s go with the local kid since what was left was mediocre at best.

What I like is when a player like Fredrik Gaudreau who scores three playoff goals and to date Zero regular season goals we go up in arms and how could we have let this kid from our own back yard slip through the cracks, but when we go after the local kid in the 5th round with nothing else that ever amounted to nothing, it’s a tragedy cause he was related to one of our scouts....nepotism....cronyism....I just don’t know anymore !!

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The bottom line here, is..............Bergevin's hirings have NOT worked out very well to date..............favortism, nepotism, or whatever we want to call it...........we always come back to the terrible evaluations of the Hon. Mac Bergevin...

Matt Pfeffer was going to lead the resistance from within.

However, he barely had time to come up with the idea of writing an open ed piece that Bergevin made sure he wouldn't be renewed.

The Preds thought Pfeffer had it right all along.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Is it too early to call him a bust, say he's ruining our players, laugh at his pants and claim nepotism? If not I'm all in!! Might as well get a head start.
tenor (2).gif

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I called out your useless post for what it was...

Why bother?

Because I enjoy this site and those who contribute quality. if no one speaks up to your type of posting, the place quickly degenerates & loses its quality because the good posters eventually leave or get drowned out by the immature sensationalist.
I certainly don’t post to amuse or tingle Your inner sense of structured debate.....I’ll post what I want and when I want on serious or past the time matters.....immature sensationalist....lol

The irony of name calling with a term like that.....hypocrisy is in the house

(That’s my past the time i got nothing else to do post)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Are you referring to Danny Audette being drafted??

If so, who after Danny that was still available should we have targeted instead of him??.....I’m sure at the time of the pick it was a crap shoot and they said let’s go with the local kid since what was left was mediocre at best.

What I like is when a player like Fredrik Gaudreau who scores three playoff goals and to date Zero regular season goals we go up in arms and how could we have let this kid from our own back yard slip through the cracks, but when we go after the local kid in the 5th round with nothing else that ever amounted to nothing, it’s a tragedy cause he was related to one of our scouts....nepotism....cronyism....I just don’t know anymore !!

Sikura, he's got very impressive vision and was a big part why his line was the best in the NCAA last season. Hawks got a good one imo. But that's not the point, if they drafted Audette because of his talent, fine but if they picked him because his dad scouted him that's BS. The kid was undersized, lazy, soft and was coming off a 21 goal season. Maybe they thought he had some hidden talent but so far he has yet to show it.

My much bigger problem is an exec hiring his unqualified son, to which I can't find a single example of this happening in an NHL team. I'm sure it has but even if it does, it doesn't make it right or smart. This organization has been a mess and is in the lowest point of their storied history, we need to be making better calls, not hiring sons, not drafting your kid, not getting a head coach with zero experience as a head coach to handle your prospects and then do nothing for 6 years when the results aren't there.

For years I complained on this board about Lefebvre and the job he was doing. Every year I would have a few posters tell me how wrong I was, give me crap over and over about how I'm just bashing management etc... They acted like I was personally offending them by suggesting that management was making a very big mistake that was going to impact us down the road. I would sit here and wonder what the f*** are these guys watching that they don't see how terrible he is at his job, yet there they were defending everything he did and giving me crap over every complaint. Yet the problems went on and he finally got fired. So just because some posters complain about things doesn't make them wrong.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->