Confirmed with Link: Joël Bouchard Named Laval Rocket Head Coach (Confirmed: Daniel Jacob Named Assistant Coach)

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Ah thanks I was not aware. Still stand by my point however, if a pro team allows nepotism to be part of there every day operations then their run much worst then the Habs.

The Habs have been the nepotism Capital of the World under Bergevin. Even with the forced changes, it's still an issue.

Reactions: Peanut

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Organizational philosophy and strategy is dictated my management. Even if Bouchard is a good AHL coach (which isn't a given), management decides other aspects of development. Bergevin, Lapointe, Ramage and Boullion all play big roles in player development.

#STOPWITHTHEBLINDTRUST

#OPENYOUREYES

what are you thinking CW trust the process. This team just needs more positivity and the players will develop and play better.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Organizational philosophy and strategy is dictated my management. Even if Bouchard is a good AHL coach (which isn't a given), management decides other aspects of development. Bergevin, Lapointe, Ramage and Boullion all play big roles in player development.

#STOPWITHTHEBLINDTRUST
Explain to us the organizational philosophy and strategy that’s implemented by management in terms of player development that differs from other teams and what they do.

What’s the point in changing coaches then, I mean the organizational strategy is already in place therefore wether you have Bouchard or Lebfevre, it makes no difference since they must follow the curriculum set out by management???

Coaches and his assistants will coach and develop the kids, in the AHL, in Junior or overseas.

Yes, there might be a guideline here or there and a philosophy to keep the kids in junior a little longer or AHL players needing to play x amount of games but players are developed by their coaches and that coaches ability, not the gm or owner

#DONTTELLMEWHOTOTRUST

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The Habs have been the nepotism Capital of the World under Bergevin. Even with the forced changes, it's still an issue.
Nepotism exist across the league.....across the world in any walk of life....nothing new

Hockey world is small, the Franco hockey world is even smaller

Reactions: 417

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Nepotism exist across the league.....across the world in any walk of life....nothing new

Yes it does. No one does it better than Bergevin though. Half of his nepotistic hires weren't even Francos. Buddies, offspring and other relations were featured prominently in Bergevin's Habs.

He only began firing when his own job was in jeopardy. He's the world leader outside of Banana Republics and Middle Eastern Oil sultanates.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Explain to us the organizational philosophy and strategy that’s implemented by management in terms of player development that differs from other teams and what they do.

What’s the point in changing coaches then, I mean the organizational strategy is already in place therefore wether you have Bouchard or Lebfevre, it makes no difference since they must follow the curriculum set out by management???

Coaches and his assistants will coach and develop the kids, in the AHL, in Junior or overseas.

Yes, there might be a guideline here or there and a philosophy to keep the kids in junior a little longer or AHL players needing to play x amount of games but players are developed by their coaches and that coaches ability, not the gm or owner

#DONTTELLMEWHOTOTRUST

I never claimed that coaches don't matter.

Clearly the AHL coach will completely change Montreal's history of forcing prospects into specific roles though.

I am impressed that the AHL coaching staff will be developing players overseas somehow. That's actually a first, since the player development staff are usually the ones that assist in that while the Junior coaches and overseas coaches are the ones coaching.

#IDIDN'TTELLYOUWHOTOTRUST

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

calling up 19/20 year olds when they aren't ready, then yo-yoing them, benching them for mistakes, then having them sit in the press box for days on end, then send them back to the AHL where they struggle. Rinse, repeat, Habs development 101.

how many teams have coaches hired by their dad? how many teams have drafted a scouts son?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
calling up 19/20 year olds when they aren't ready, then yo-yoing them, benching them for mistakes, then having them sit in the press box for days on end, then send them back to the AHL where they struggle. Rinse, repeat, Habs development 101.

how many teams have coaches hired by their dad? how many teams have drafted a scouts son?
The Habs, under Bergevin, have taken nepotism to a new level...with terrible results.

That being said, this summer, Bouchard and Ducherme have been very good additions. MB was forced to do it though...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Habs, under Bergevin, have taken nepotism to a new level...with terrible results.

That being said, this summer, Bouchard and Ducherme have been very good additions. MB was forced to do it though...

only took 6 years, can't wait to see how it takes him to learn how to make big trades where he doesn't get bent over and royally f*** it up.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

There's levels of nepotism?

I don't get why this is such a hot topic among Habs fans.

There's nepotism in EVERY sport.

What did Joel Bouchard right after being hired?

He went after his assistant coach with Blainville and also brought in his good friend Alex Burrows.

There is nothing wrong with nepotism...unless it prevents you from evaluating.

But generally speaking, people like to work with people they know and have worked with before

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Not that it makes it right...but this is something that happens with every team.

I don't know why some act like it's exclusive to the Habs...it's not.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

He went after his assistant coach with Blainville and also brought in his good friend Alex Burrows.

But generally speaking, people like to work with people they know and have worked with before

there's a big difference between hiring someone you know well so you think they are a good fit or hiring your son from a low level hockey league.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

That would only be nepotism if they weren't qualified for the job or someone more qualified was available but they were picked over them.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
there's a big difference between hiring someone you know well so you think they are a good fit or hiring your son from a low level hockey league.
I don't think there is...in both cases, you're hiring them because of your relationship to them.

I don't necessarily have an issue with that, it happens all the time in sports and really in every day life.

As I said earlier, the problem is when you're relationship to this person, prevents you from making a fair and equitable evaluation of their performance, which clearly was the case with Bergevin/Lefebvre

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

I think you're confusing nepotism (hiring relatives, like what Carrierre did with his son) and cronyism (hiring friends, like pretty much every person Bergevin has ever hired) The Habs, of course, practice both of these things and the results of each are the same.

If only the people in our front office had family and/or friends with a better grasp of how the hockey business works, the nepotism and cronyism would be more tolerable.

Reactions: montreal

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That would only be nepotism if they weren't qualified for the job or someone more qualified was available but they were picked over them.
How qualified was Alex Burrows to get the job of assistant coach 3 minutes after retiring from the NHL?

How qualified was Steve Ott to get an assistant coach gig with the Blues a few weeks after retiring from the NHL?

How qualified was Chris Kelly to get a development coach gig with the Ottawa Senators a few days ago?

Were each of these hires, and there's a ton more I could of referenced, more qualified than others who did have experience doing the same job?

Reactions: jaffy27

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think you're confusing nepotism (hiring relatives, like what Carrierre did with his son) and cronyism (hiring friends, like pretty much every person Bergevin has ever hired) The Habs, of course, practice both of these things and the results of each are the same.

If only the people in our front office had family and/or friends with a better grasp of how the hockey business works, the nepotism and cronyism would be more tolerable.
No, i'm not confusing both...i'm just saying both of these things, nepotism & cryonism, are 2 practices regularly practiced throughout the NHL and other sports.

How many former players jump right into broadcasting after playing?

Bypassing a bunch of people who went to school, spent thousands of dollars getting degrees in the field, only to be usurped positions by guys who played the game because they're valued for their input as former players over their input as broadcasters or whatever may be the case.

These things aren't exclusive to the Habs....I know it's vogue to **** on the Habs right now, they're the evil empire, but sometimes people reach for just any reasons to **** on them.

Reactions: Belial and jaffy27

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Quick note to all:

Favouritism - partiality to someone for reasons other than job performance
Cronyism - partiality to friends and associates (this is the "Old Boys Club" and the "200 Good Hockey Men")
Nepotism - partiality to family members

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Quick note to all:

Favouritism - partiality to someone for reasons other than job performance
Cronyism - partiality to friends and associates (this is the "Old Boys Club" and the "200 Good Hockey Men")
Nepotism - partiality to family members
Nepotism can be partiality to family members and/or friends...depending on where you read the definition.

Not that that changes anything you wrote.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Nepotism can be partiality to family members and/or friends...depending on where you read the definition.

Not that that changes anything you wrote.

Ya, I guess I'm using the older definition of nepotism.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yes it does. No one does it better than Bergevin though. Half of his nepotistic hires weren't even Francos. Buddies, offspring and other relations were featured prominently in Bergevin's Habs.

He only began firing when his own job was in jeopardy. He's the world leader outside of Banana Republics and Middle Eastern Oil sultanates.
So you’ve analyzed every team in the league and everyone each gm has hired over the years and did a background check on everyone on every team to know that Bergevin is the worst when it comes to nepotism??

What were your final numbers in this regard?? How much worst is he?? (Factual numbers)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think there is...in both cases, you're hiring them because of your relationship to them.

I don't necessarily have an issue with that, it happens all the time in sports and really in every day life.

As I said earlier, the problem is when you're relationship to this person, prevents you from making a fair and equitable evaluation of their performance, which clearly was the case with Bergevin/Lefebvre

so how many NHL teams have a top level exec hire their son? I know Stan Bowman hired his dad but it's a little different when you hire perhaps the greatest NHL coach of all time vs a Div III head coach.

Do you really believe the Habs would have hired him if his dad didn't work for the team?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
so how many NHL teams have a top level exec hire their son? I know Stan Bowman hired his dad but it's a little different when you hire perhaps the greatest NHL coach of all time vs a Div III head coach.
I can't say for sure...but I don't think an NHL executive hiring his son, is any different than an NHL executive hiring a recently retired player to head his development team.

Do you really believe the Habs would have hired him if his dad didn't work for the team?
I think most hirings are at first based from some type of relationship...so probably not.

But that still doesn't mean that this situation is exclusive to the Habs, it's simply not.

When Geoff Molson was looking for a GM, what did he do? He commissioned the search to someone he and his family knew very well - that's nepotism.

When Brendan Shannahan was looking for a GM, what did he do? He hired Lou Lamoriello, someone who used to be HIS GM that's nepotism.

I think if you examined every NHL, MLB, NFL, NBA, MSL, etc you'd find examples of nepotism.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Dissecting the word nepotism vs cronyism all in the name of trying to crap on the gm .....this place is ****ed up :laugh:
Like that's the only thing wrong with this GM and if it weren't for that we'd have no reason to crap on him. Oh, wait..the list is a mile long and this is the cherry on top.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Yes, players are called up when injuries happen......by having DLR sit in Montreal and practice with the big club, did we really rob DLR of anything????

The great Lamoriello drafted Brodeur’s son.....geez, I wonder why??

That’s one example off the top of my head....there are hundreds more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->