Joé Juneau

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Won the scoring title at the Olympics 1992 (outscored Khomutov, Bykov, Selanne, Lindros), scored 102 points for Boston the next season, but degraded pretty fast at age 27+. An interesting career.

Just call him the Doctor.

What I find more interesting in him is that he is a rocket scientist and when he first got to the US uni? He could not speak English. And when he went to Boston he tried to negotiate a fair deal with Harry Sindon.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
For some reason whenever I played through a season of NHL 95 he often ended up outscoring Mario Lemieux. That is my main memory of Juneau. I do respect how he reinvented himself in the NHL as his offence dried up.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Juneau in Boston played with one of the greatest passers ever in Adam Oates and one of the greatest offensive dmen in Ray Bourque.

Juneau had 102 points.
Oates 142 points!
Bourque 82 points.

Then Juneau is traded to Washington and the magic is gone. Go figure.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Juneau in Boston played with one of the greatest passers ever in Adam Oates and one of the greatest offensive dmen in Ray Bourque.

Juneau had 102 points.
Oates 142 points!
Bourque 82 points.

Then Juneau is traded to Washington and the magic is gone. Go figure.

Oates himself had 45 goals that year, which is 13 more goals than Juneau. Then next season, when Juneau is still there, Oates had 32 goals, which is 18 more goals than Juneau. 77 goals in two seasons for a pass first, pass second, and pass third type of player, for an average of 38.5 goals per season. For a guy who normally hovered around 20–25 goals per season. Hm. And Juneau was primarily a playmaker himself. Hm, again.

You don't think Adam Oates' sudden goal scoring spurt here, over these two seasons, could have had something to do with him playing with a seasoned distinguished 25–26 year old playmaker who had led the Olympics in scoring in front of Selänne and Lindros mainly because of his set-up skills? Then Juneau is gone to Washington and Oates' goal scoring magic suddenly disappears. Go figure.

Juneau during his first 55 games in Washington (93–94 & 94–95 seasons, with regressed overall scoring) was still a PPG player (56 points in 55 games, and 17 points in 18 playoff games) and his line-mate Peter Bondra won the goal scoring title. So it's not like he pulled an immediate belly splash act when it comes to point production. 50 assists in 1995–96 is still good, then he gets injured a lot and re-models himself as a second-line-ish center with intangibles and helps two different teams to the SCFs in 98 (WSH) and 99 (BUF).

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1. Juneau became a 3rd line center, not 2nd liner.

2. Many players had career years with Oates: Klima, Hull, Neely, Juneau, Bondra, Simon.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
2. Many players had career years with Oates: Klima, Hull, Neely, Juneau, Bondra, Simon.

Bondra is mainly incorrect. He had wheels and didn't need a slow puck hog to score. 94–95 (league leading goal scorer) he played with Juneau. 95–96, 52 goals in 67 games, played with Pivonka/Juneau. 96–97, 46 goals, no idea who he played with but Juneau & Pivonka were still there so I guess probably them. And, in 97–98 when Oates finally arrives in DC, he didn't even play on the same line as Bondra, pretty much only on the PP, and Bondra's even strength scoring (36 goals) was as high as ever.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Petr Klíma also seems to have had his best goal scoring season in 90–91 with the Oilers, 40 goals in 70 games.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Growing up, I was OCD with updating lineups and fixing mistakes with NHL '95 for PC. I always remember that Juneau was incorrectly programmed as being a right handed shot in those games.

One day I was in a poster store and came across a random one of Juneau which had him listed as a right shot. So I can only assume some central NHL listing had a typo that propagated to other mediums. [/coolstorybro]

s-l1600.jpg

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Growing up, I was OCD with updating lineups and fixing mistakes with NHL '95 for PC. I always remember that Juneau was incorrectly programmed as being a right handed shot in those games.

One day I was in a poster store and came across a random one of Juneau which had him listed as a right shot. So I can only assume some central NHL listing had a typo that propagated to other mediums. [/coolstorybro]

s-l1600.jpg

I remember this was true for Tony Amonte in NHLPA 93 as well as NHL 94 - he was incorrectly made to be right handed. I'm curious if there was a similar error?

I also believe that Bobby Holik was made to be left handed in NHL 2001...I mean, I get small mistakes for young players, but at that point how do you get Holik wrong?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I remember this was true for Tony Amonte in NHLPA 93 as well as NHL 94 - he was incorrectly made to be right handed. I'm curious if there was a similar error?

Right handed Amonte reminds me of the movie Sudden Death. They seemingly got most of the other actors/players to shoot the correct way as their NHL counterparts. Although I was always bothered that they made up a different player for the right handed catching Tom Barrasso.

Maybe there was an error that listed Amonte as a right shot and the movie people cast a right shot player because of it.

My urge to pop in NHLPA '93 is increasing now.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
For some reason whenever I played through a season of NHL 95 he often ended up outscoring Mario Lemieux. That is my main memory of Juneau. I do respect how he reinvented himself in the NHL as his offence dried up.

My main memory of him is that it blew my mind he was a francophone Quebecois. His name sounded like a Wild West gunslinger to me. It's not like people spelled it with the accent aigu.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I guess when you're as smart as Joe Juneau hockey really is just a game.

Interesting guy for sure. He could pretty much do whatever he wanted after his nhl career ended.

I seem to recall that he ended up moving up north somewhere very remote, dedicating his time to the indigenous youth.

That's a pretty selfless move.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad