NFL: JJ Watt announces 2022 is his last NFL season

Sep 19, 2008
I've been watching Hard Knocks in season and the last episode had JJ take a huge leadership role talking to the team after practice as well as in the locker room following the loss to the Patriots. He seems to be a strong team leader and motivator and so many there look up to him for wisdom and insight.

Hope he stays with the Cardinals in some capacity. He's also still in playing age too, 34?

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Absolute shame he didn’t get a ring. JJ is one of the best defensive players ever and it’s a shame his prime was cut short by injuries. Really good human being through and through to boot. I will miss watching him on Sundays.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

The funny part is he's talking about a 4-11 Texan team...the Cardinals this year are 4-11. You could have easily convinced me he was making this speech today if it was an audio clip instead of video.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Most dominant player I've ever seen at his peak. Could do basically everything and even managed to surprise you in other ways.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Most dominant player I've ever seen at his peak. Could do basically everything and even managed to surprise you in other ways.
He was dominant in Houston. Too bad with the injuries and never having a good QB.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Yeah at his best he was pretty much unblockable. He and Aaron Donald.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well earned retirement, he was one of the big reasons I got into football in the first place. One of, if not the most dominant players I've ever watched when he was in his prime. It's really a shame he couldn't go out with a ring.
Unfortunately he didn’t play with a good QB until Watson arrived and Watson suffered an acl tear while Watt had his own injuries to deal with. No high end QB during his prime. Elite non QBs should not be judged on whether they win a ring or not. Not much Watt can do with a lousy QB.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This also shows the difference between how players at every position get evaluated vs QBs.

Any other position gets evaluated by how they played compared to their peers, yet with QB, it all comes down to Super Bowls. Watt was amazing. He's going to walk into the Hall of Fame without a single person doubting his resume, yet had he been a QB who collected the same kind of awards and accolades minus a Super Bowl win, much of football media would act like he's not deserving of the Hall of Fame.

This SB or loser mentality is obviously most prevalent in the empty yelling hot take shows, but sadly, those garbage shows drive way too much sports media conversations.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This also shows the difference between how players at every position get evaluated vs QBs.

Any other position gets evaluated by how they played compared to their peers, yet with QB, it all comes down to Super Bowls. Watt was amazing. He's going to walk into the Hall of Fame without a single person doubting his resume, yet had he been a QB who collected the same kind of awards and accolades minus a Super Bowl win, much of football media would act like he's not deserving of the Hall of Fame.

This SB or loser mentality is obviously most prevalent in the empty yelling hot take shows, but sadly, those garbage shows drive way too much sports media conversations.
QB has more direct impact on the results of the team. But also the QB needs to organization to be well run.
I wouldn’t peg the quality of a QB based solely
On SB wins. But you do need some PO success. Like Rivers was really good but he never made a SB and how many AFC championship games did he get the chargers to?

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
To me, a funny aspect of this.. it's been reported by a couple different media outlets that Watt didn't tell some Cardinal coaches & front office that he would be announcing his retirement.

Truth is, 2022 Cardinals didn't even deserve that courtesy.. And I don't think anybody faults Watt.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

Trent Dilfer was better than Marino, you are wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad