Confirmed with Link: JJ Daigneault & Dan Lacroix let go; Habs Sign Dominique Ducharme - 3 years to be new assistant coach

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I for one would prefer Bouchard in a management role as i think he has a good eye for talent, but i guess those inbetween the benches commentating and those mcdonalds training exercises and hell, head coaching in the Q also makes him an interesting candidate

either way... i just want him in the organization PERIOD as i think all he can bring is good right now

Reactions: Runner77

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
That would be setting the bar at its lowest. Flatulent, nail-flicking oafs with a limited vocabulary and dim intellectual acumen are mostly the burnt offerings of a prior generation, thankfully. Not that you couldn't find such specimens today but they're much less likely to survive or move up the ranks as coaching has become a much more structured profession and the ability to deal with the current generation of players is at a premium.

The likes of Ducharme and Bouchard are modern coaches, they will be seeing players they have known in their careers, advance to the NHL and I'm sure Ducharme will have some of them make their way to the Habs' system (on top of the ones already attributed to him). Coaches like Ducharme will have an inherent ability to know how to handle them. There wasn't anyone quite like Ducharme in the Habs' circle, so he's a great first step.

When's the last time that we've ever seen a Habs' hire garner universal support? I can't find anyone saying a bad thing about Ducharme. This man is on quite the trajectory, his future is bright and he's ascending while a Hab. This is the best friggin' day of the last 12 months. And I'd like more just like that. We're overdue.

I think when the Habs hired Claude Julien last year everybody, on both sides of the Boulevard Saint-Laurent, were happy with the hiring. Some may have wanted a more modern coach, but nobody could say he was incompetent or he wasn't the best available coach.

Reactions: Habitant le colon

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
And you know if Bouchard comes in, he's cleaning house. I do wonder if he is the Laval head coach, if he will have other functions.

I think the fact that the farm team has moved back so CLOSE to home in Laval that it makes that position a bit more attractive to these Q league coaches, to be apart of the big cheese organization

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I for one would prefer Bouchard in a management role as i think he has a good eye for talent, but i guess those inbetween the benches commentating and those mcdonalds training exercises and hell, head coaching in the Q also makes him an interesting candidate

either way... i just want him in the organization PERIOD as i think all he can bring is good right now

I'd like to see Bouchard in an assistant GM capacity -- it would be a great way to usher in a knowledgeable hockey mind and act as a valuable source whenever MB is tempted to go off the rails with his attitude, character and intangibles benders.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think when the Habs hired Claude Julien last year everybody, on both sides of the Boulevard Saint-Laurent, were happy with the hiring. Some may have wanted a more modern coach, but nobody could say he was incompetent or he wasn't the best available coach.

It was generally positive but not to the extent of Ducharme's hiring.

I remember several posters being against Julien, contesting his methods and how he was too focused on defensive play. Also, several didn't like the contract and saw it as a knee-jerk reaction by Bergevin who felt cornered at the time -- the move was made at a time when Julien held all the cards.

That contract is going to come back and bite us however, it's not cap money so who knows what a future GM might do. And how much ownership is ready to swallow another bitter pill.

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
For all of the critics against Bergevin remeber that : when CJ was fired it took only less than 10 days before firing MT and ink CJ ... now less than 10 days after DD is out stating i'm ready for next level BAM he's part of the club ... don't get me wrong but MB also face the timming sometime! With Dudley leaving the Habs in the near future Carrière will be atop again with MB, then Martin Lapointe may ne the next GM in Laval, and perhaps, we will ink Joel Bouchard .... what could we ask more hein?!

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

I remember several posters being against Julien, contesting his methods and how he was too focused on defensive play. Also, several didn't like the contract and saw it as a knee-jerk reaction by Bergevin who felt cornered at the time -- the move was made at a time when Julien held all the cards.

That contract is going to come back and bite us however, it's not cap money so who knows what a future GM might do. And how much ownership is ready to swallow another bitter pill.

Of course it wasn't 100% of people who were happy for the signature (it's not for Ducharme either), but I don't think that's feasible for such a big group of people like Habs fans ;)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
For all of the critics against Bergevin remeber that : when CJ was fired it took only less than 10 days before firing MT and ink CJ ... now less than 10 days after DD is out stating i'm ready for next level BAM he's part of the club ... don't get me wrong but MB also face the timming sometime! With Dudley leaving the Habs in the near future Carrière will be atop again with MB, then Martin Lapointe may ne the next GM in Laval, and perhaps, we will ink Joel Bouchard .... what could we ask more hein?!

Eric Engels tweeted a few days after Habs' postmortem that his prediction was that Martin Lapointe will replace Larry Carriere as Laval GM. He also said that he believed Ducharme and company would replace the entire Laval staff and that JJ would be gone.

So far, he was right that JJ would be gone and that the Laval coaching staff would be replaced (only Lefebvre will be for sure at the moment). He was somewhat right about Ducharme except for the fact he went straight to Montreal.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I think it used to be a problem, but like you said it doesnt count against the cap, i think even molson, right now, at this point in time, does not care about "dead money" paid to ex-coaches, if its not working then its not working, grab the next guy and sign him, we have endless money in that regard unfortunately lol

i think the Gallant thing has blown up in their faces enough now if it hadnt already in florida, i always thought Gallant could be a possible head coach for us after we nabbed him...sure enough we let him walk and he's leading one of the best teams in the NHL

They nabbed Ducharme now earlier than they should have but with great reason, this is a BLATANT set up for grooming and too bad, bergevin f***ed up to the point that he offered a massive contract to the current head coach who has a team in shambles BECAUSE of the same GM, so now he's a very very well payed place holder to the new heir apparant, it FEELS like claude should feel like he's getting shafted here but... this is what happens when you finish dead last and your GM is more at fault than you are

Claudes gonna get PAID to fix a sinking ship, or he's going to get PAID going down with it, either the team turns around and he plays out the duration of his contract and risk losing ducharme to another team(BUT the team is competitive) , or he doesnt turn it around and will get a great severance package and go coach somewhere else and ducharme becomes head coach

hard to feel bad for Claude here, but very easy to transfix the blame on who it should go to, Bergevin

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Of course it wasn't 100% of people who were happy for the signature (it's not for Ducharme either), but I don't think that's feasible for such a big group of people like Habs fans ;)

That's true but I guess I must have missed those who did not like the Ducharme hiring. I haven't seen any myself but doesn't mean they don't exist.

Reactions: Habitant le colon

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
Eric Engels tweeted a few days after Habs' postmortem that his prediction was that Martin Lapointe will replace Larry Carriere as Laval GM. He also said that he believed Ducharme and company would replace the entire Laval staff and that JJ would be gone.

So far, he was right that JJ would be gone and that the Laval coaching staff would be replaced (only Lefebvre will be for sure at the moment). He was somewhat right about Ducharme except for the fact he went straight to Montreal.

The only thing that i'm completly in the unknown zone so far is the d-coach that CJ is lookoing for!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There's people against the Ducharme signing?

I'm as shocked as you are learning that. I couldn't find anyone in the media who had a negative take. As for the fan base, if there were adverse reactions, I didn't see them happen on HF -- must have been on other sites.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

From what I had read about Lapointe (can't remember the sources), the Habs are quite high on him -- he and Mellanby probably have the safest holds on their jobs. I don't have enough information to know why exactly Lapointe is highly valued or whether Lapointe's importance is an across-the-org. endorsement or simply someone MB has been able to shield from a senior management purge of some sort, if one is in fact coming.

This is why I'd hold judgment until we know more about how they're going to handle Laval. I just hope it's not one of those deals where MB was allowed full discretion on replacing Lefebvre with someone who is already in the org., which it seems to me would be a mistake -- we need to get the best development people available and with the way the org. has been trending in the last 6 years, I would be very surprised if such individuals are already part of the org.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Wasn't one of Martin Lapointe's assignments to take McCarron under his wing, follow him, make sure he was progressing? Or do I have that wrong?

All I remember is reading recently how the org. is looking to promote Lapointe and give him greater responsibilities. I'd sure like to know what it is he's been doing so well to receive such praise and consideration. Does someone have any info?

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
Don't have much either, but from what i have seen in the past Lapointe was the go to guy for attitude dilemma with the kiddo and the spirit of the habs culture in the minor with the cube. So i'm guessing that the developpment team will overtake the Laval duty with a new coach. I also extrapolate Dudlay leaving since the medias are against him, i wonder why but i guess that those fuctard are not even transparent with us on few things!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The only thing that i'm completly in the unknown zone so far is the d-coach that CJ is lookoing for!

Lefebvre does fit both of CJ's criteria that he is looking for a former NHL defenseman who also coached in the NHL. For what it's worth, some media have said that Lefebvre as an assistant coach is the perfect spot for him and they praise him for his work . Francois Gagnon said that he spoke with a few NHL people around the league and they said that he is more useful as an assistant than as a head coach.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lefebvre does fit both of CJ's criteria that he is looking for a former NHL defenseman who also coached in the NHL. For what it's worth, some media have said that Lefebvre as an assistant coach is the perfect spot for him and they praise him for his work . Francois Gagnon said that he spoke with a few NHL people around the league and they said that he is more useful as an assistant than as a head coach.

Please don't tell me we end up with Sly Lefebvre as assistant coach in Montreal. It would kill all the goodwill the team has gained with the firing of Sly and JJD and the hiring of Ducharme. Please, not another crony in Laval either.

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
They wouldn't had fired him if he were to upgrade at nhl level!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad