Jiri Fronk

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
What can you tell me about Jiri Fronk? I have heard rumors that he will be heading to the USHL this year. 6'4 200 forward who played on the U20 team last year.

What style of game does he play etc?

Babula

May 31, 2012
What can you tell me about Jiri Fronk? I have heard rumors that he will be heading to the USHL this year. 6'4 200 forward who played on the U20 team last year.

What style of game does he play etc?

I saw couple of Energie regular season games with him last season. He is skilled, very good wrist shot, not a bad skater.

His backhand shot leads to goal (1st assist) He is number 21 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfuMFYZo1_U

elliteprospects has listed him as 6'2 - 180 lbs - He has 190 cm

defensive ability might be issue ? I'm not even sure.

Fronk scores at 0:08 of this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYIaiXdEyv8#t=18

Last edited:

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Thank you so much. I don't know for sure that he is coming but it sure sounds that way.

I guess we shall see at the end of the month....Thanks again

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I have confirmed it now. Fronk was added by the Cedar Rapids Roughriders of the USHL. His said to be coming over as well.

Babula

May 31, 2012
I guess, He is playing his first pre-season match right now. Wonder, how is he doing so far...?

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Jiri has 5 goals in 3 games so far. He brings skill and size...a much needed element to Cedar Rapids. He had a hat trick last night.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Jiri Fronk leads the USHL in goals with 14 in 17 games thus far.

Good player who I would think will get signed by someone after the season

hans26

Oct 31, 2012
wow good to hear. I didn't expect he could make some noise in NA, hope he keeps it up!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Really liked his game tonight in the USHL Top Prospects game. A big and physical kid who made some very sharp moves in the game, scoring a goal into an empty net.

Odd to hear that he is still draft eligible. Don't see him going undrafted, although this opinion is only based on one game. Looks like his numbers back it up, though.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Really liked his game tonight in the USHL Top Prospects game. A big and physical kid who made some very sharp moves in the game, scoring a goal into an empty net.

Odd to hear that he is still draft eligible. Don't see him going undrafted, although this opinion is only based on one game. Looks like his numbers back it up, though.

He did the same things tonight he has been doing all year. Just a great forward. He has been on the same line as "B" rated prospect Erik Foley all year. Wish Foley wouldn't have gotten injured last game so he could have played.

Jiri has made it clear that he has no intention of playing College hockey. He came to North America to impress pro scouts.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Why didn't Fronk lose his eligibility by coming to North America this year?

By the CBA, being 21 or older, and having played at least one season in NA as an 18, 19, or 20 year old makes you eligible as a UFA. He was 20 when this season started, played half the season as a 20 year old, and is now and will be 21 by the time of the draft.

Can he still elect to enter into the draft? Because he seems to be "draft eligible", considering he was ranked by Central, but others his age certainly aren't.

I know there's that common rule (although it's not stated explicitly in the CBA that I can find) that North American players are ineligible if over the age of 20 by Dec.21, in the year of the given draft, BUT non-North American players over the age of 20 are still eligible, but since he moved to the USHL, he would be drafted as a North American skater, thus voiding his eligibility again.
The only explanations for this are that birthplace plays more into than the league they are drafted from then I thought OR it partially has to do with him being a non-North American player in his original draft year, but either way, it doesn't explain the part in the CBA that explicitly states he is a UFA I mentioned before...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad