Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey Part II

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Grabner scored all his goals while playing bottom-6 minutes. The big problem with Vesey is still that his overall play is not good enough. When the games are on the line, and we need to defend a lead, he is invisible. There are a lot of similarities between both Pirri and Vesey.

Pirri was never able to develop the overall level of play to stick around. Vesey needs to improve significantly in his own zone.

C'on....Vesey is 10x the overall player Pirri ever was. Pirri could do one thing, shoot, he had a star shot but that was absolutely all he had. Vesey brings a hell of a lot more and does much better at certain things that he ever did, obviously Vesey doesn't have his shot.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
C'on....Vesey is 10x the overall player Pirri ever was. Pirri could do one thing, shoot, he had a star shot but that was absolutely all he had. Vesey brings a hell of a lot more and does much better at certain things that he ever did, obviously Vesey doesn't have his shot.

Tell me what Vesey does that makes him an asset to this team... He's an okay passer, an okay shooter, has pretty good speed, an okay forecheck and completely lacks the defense we need from forward to play a good game.

He's not bad, but Vesey is the type of player you can get through free agency every summer.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX

Brandon Pirri had a great preseason. As soon as the games counted he became Brandon Disapirri.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Tell me what Vesey does that makes him an asset to this team... He's an okay passer, an okay shooter, has pretty good speed, an okay forecheck and completely lacks the defense we need from forward to play a good game.

He's not bad, but Vesey is the type of player you can get through free agency every summer.

Why would we pay a player through FA that will be years older than him when we already have that player? The players in FA is likely done developing as well, Vesey will likely still improve aspects of his game. I just don't understand the hate you have to him. You are completely overblowing his defense as well. He is average, hardly a liability.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

You are being pretty generous on his passing. He's the worst passer among the forwards, aside from McLeod, who I don't even really consider to be a forward. I consider McLeod to be the boxer for the sideshow that happens once every two or three games.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Why would we pay a player through FA that will be years older than him when we already have that player? The players in FA is likely done developing as well, Vesey will likely still improve aspects of his game. I just don't understand the hate you have to him. You are completely overblowing his defense as well. He is average, hardly a liability.

I don't hate Vesey. I just think he is a 3rd line winger at best. If we can re-sign him for 1.5m a year, great. Anything more than that, would be an overpayment

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't hate Vesey. I just think he is a 3rd line winger at best. If we can re-sign him for 1.5m a year, great. Anything more than that, would be an overpayment

Well 3rd liners usually go for a bit more than 1.5M (2?) but exactly, he's a ok 3rd liner so sign him for that. Rather keep him,a player who knows the team than sign a 28 year old FA who will only decline likely from there.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

What are your expectations from a 3rd line winger in his 2nd year as a pro, exactly?

16 goals last year. 17 goals so far this year. And we got him for nothing. I don't know why some people are so down on this guy.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
For a kid that gets bounced around the 3rd and 4th lines, 16 goals in 16-17 and 17 goals in 17-18 he could be worse.

If Pirri was a better player, he'd still be playing in the NHL.....somewhere

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He has been given bottom 6 minutes about 90% of the season...
Impressive that's he gets 12:36 per game in even strength time, then, 7th among forwards on the team (19 seconds less than Kreider). Imagine if played more than 10% in the top six! Wowee!

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He's doing what he always does...score goals within a 5 foot radius of the net....im happy for him..and if he signs a 2 year deal at 1.5mil per year I'm fine with him raising his value for a future ripoff trade with chiarelli or bergevin.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's doing what he always does...score goals within a 5 foot radius of the net....im happy for him..and if he signs a 2 year deal at 1.5mil per year I'm fine with him raising his value for a future ripoff trade with chiarelli or bergevin.

That's how I feel as well. 1.5m is a good AAV for what he brings. I am just afraid he will get 2m+

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So, I said I'd look up in the morning what the common line combos have been for Vesey.

CC @Machinehead

Here they are, presented without comment (sorted by TOI):
tSDFHys.png

For reference, here is last year:
D1zHMEZ.png
He has had some shit teammates.

That being said, if we're suddenly using TOI to defend Vesey in this thread, can we talk about how Lazy Chris gets bottom six minutes at even strength?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well, my dad refused to acknowledge my son because he's a white South African. He was born in 2008. His mom, my ex, is a white South African born in 1987. She was 3 years old when Mandela was released from prison, but somehow my dad uses Apartheid as a reason to not accept either my ex wife at the time, or my son to this day.

Some people are just insane.
:(

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Impressive that's he gets 12:36 per game in even strength time, then, 7th among forwards on the team (19 seconds less than Kreider). Imagine if played more than 10% in the top six! Wowee!

You mean 8th. And only not 9th because of trading 3 forwards and acquiring 2.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
That's how I feel as well. 1.5m is a good AAV for what he brings. I am just afraid he will get 2m+

If he gets 2M per on a 2 year deal, will that 500K really matter? Cap going up, and we have players coming off the books, we will have more cap room than we can even ask for. If he ges 4M, sure I can understand people complaining.

I see him getting around what Fast got last time...1.85 per.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why would he get what Fast gets? Fast is just as good of a scorer, and he's considerably smarter, better defensively and a much harder worker. He deserves probably like 1M less than Fast gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->