Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey Part II

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Namesntikov has been awful though, if you watch his play. He's just there, and I would argue he's made more errors than good plays. There are guys who actually play pretty well for 10-15 game spans and it doesn't show up in the CF percentage, and there are players who don't play well and they have a good corsi for a 10-15 span.

He's not a pretty player but he has a history of making linemates better.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Karl Marx was German :laugh:

I don't know what the **** planet we're on with this guy :help:

I know, but it was probably a "dirty commie" comment. And not to go in a bad direction, I'm probably the biggest vocal critic of Communism from anyone I know, but this guy sounds like a cartoon with his posts. It's embarrassing.

Reactions: Phoicon

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know, but it was probably a "dirty commie" comment. And not to go in a bad direction, I'm probably the biggest vocal critic of Communism from anyone I know, but this guy sounds like a cartoon with his posts. It's embarrassing.

I figured it probably was but even then...associating a Russian born in 1995 post-Communism with a Communist who isn't Russian...

incredulous.gif

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
People hate on this kid for no reason. The only reason I can potentially see is they have an agenda because he scores more than their Karl Marx savior Buchnevich

Your hate towards Russians is insane. You accuse others of being biased, yet you are the one saying you don't like him because he's Russian. You actually admitted it once.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I figured it probably was but even then...associating a Russian born in 1995 post-Communism with a Communist who isn't Russian...

incredulous.gif

Well, my dad refused to acknowledge my son because he's a white South African. He was born in 2008. His mom, my ex, is a white South African born in 1987. She was 3 years old when Mandela was released from prison, but somehow my dad uses Apartheid as a reason to not accept either my ex wife at the time, or my son to this day.

Some people are just insane.

Reactions: Machinehead

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Well, my dad refused to acknowledge my son because he's a white South African. He was born in 2008. His mom, my ex, is a white South African born in 1987. She was 3 years old when Mandela was released from prison, but somehow my dad uses Apartheid as a reason to not accept either my ex wife at the time, or my son to this day.

Sorry to hear that. It’s just sad.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Far out that's full on. Sorry to hear bro.

Reactions: Machinehead

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Vesey does have 33 NHL career goals in his first two NHL seasons and his TOI has been spotty. This is player everyone and their mother thought would be a top 6 NHL forward. His agency also represented Drury. That connection played a major role in his decision to sign with the Rangers. Vesey should have a better opportunity next season.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Vesey does have 33 NHL career goals in his first two NHL seasons and his TOI has been spotty. This is player everyone and their mother thought would be a top 6 NHL forward. His agency also represented Drury. That connection played a major role in his decision to sign with the Rangers. Vesey should have a better opportunity next season.
I think Jimmy has had adequate opportunity thus far. HF has been up in arms about it at times. Especially compared to poor Buch who doesn't get treated properly by AV.
I think if he gets the "same opportunity", he just might be even better offensively. He knows where he will collect his goals and the occasional offensive burst catching a dman napping.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don’t know why people still keep responding to TurgePurge. Same exact posting style with the same exact stupid takes. Just ignore it.

Vesey has been better all-around post-deadline. He’s sort of found that “identity” that AV mentioned the team wanted to see from him, but I do want him to improve away from the puck. For now, he does have the positive traits of being able to get through the neutral zone with speed and he’s good around the net. He’s never going to be able to do the finesse stuff he did at Harvard, but he does have the skillset to be a good second-third line tweener that plays a simple north-south game. If he can learn to draw more defenders near him around the net, he’ll be able to open up more room for teammates

Reactions: Holocene

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The forwards with the most average TOI are the guys who not only take a regular shift but also play both power play and penalty kill--Zuccarello, Zibanejad, Hayes etc.--Nash when he was here. Under them is the layer who gets one or the other with the guys who get power play getting just a little more ice time than those who penalty kill--that's where Kreider and Buchnevich fit in and Miller who got a little bit of PK.

Defensemen on average usually get more ice time than forwards.

The current lines---if I'm trying to win games (and the Rangers obviously still are) there's no way that I'm splitting up Zibanejad, Fast and Kreider. They're all arguably playing as well as they ever have right now. There is very good chemistry there. Even Fast is putting up a bunch of points and what's more he's getting shots on goal like I've never seen from him before.

Hayes is playing well and Zucc, Spooner, Vesey right now are all doing okay and Buchnevich and Namestnikov are struggling. Desharnais (I just want him gone--I'm sure he's a nice guy but.....) is just too weak on the puck and his play away from it is just atrocious. Carey's been okay for a 4th line guy but I'm thinking there's an upgrade possibly to be made there. Holland I believe is signed for next year---he's an AHL/NHL tweener--meaning it's better if he's in the AHL and McLeod has been close to useless---compared to Tanner Glass I prefer Glass.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Zucc won`t return a 1st pick alone with his current value with 1 year remaining until his UFA contract. If Gorton aim for an earlier entry draft in 2018 - we might see one of the players moved in the draft even though the Zib line have chemistry. Fast is a 7th rnd pick - you can`t trust his consistent point production especially not in a playoffs race scenario among the top 6 lines - when we are going for the cup in 3-4 years even AV mention it several times in an interview, and sometimes Fast miss huge chances.

Jesper Fast career stats: Jesper Fast Stats and News
My conclusion is both Zib & Kreider plays Fast much better than he really is, and he will have a career high production this year with 31 pts. with 7 games remaining.

Anyway I agree with your content in that post and well written. @eco's bones
And Vesey contract won`t be too expensive - so I can see him play for us next year as well since the topic is about Vesey.

Last edited:

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I'm not sure Vesey is a top 6 forward in the NHL, however that doesn't mean he isn't a good player either. I actually like him quite a bit. I think he's best suited in a 4th line MAYBE 3rd line role (depending on the depth of the team and linemates) ... but it's a good problem to have. I like having players on the bottom 6 who have a skill set and aren't just bodies to take up space.

Reactions: Ori

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
My only Q now, is what does Vesey get contract wise this summer? What's fair for him? Do we give him a long term deal and low ball him because he's been inconsistent? Does he even want to do that? Do we trade him?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I agree, I mention some times that ideally if we have better team depth this season, and we `might` have that next year with both Chytil & Lias being NHL ready, but it depends how the deep the rebuild is.
Anyway an ideal line for Vesey is on the third line, and I believe that J. Fast fit in better on such a line as well, and it will be much less pressure to perform while they develop as NHL players compare to a top 6 line role - also concerning their current talent level.

My only Q now, is what does Vesey get contract wise this summer? What's fair for him? Do we give him a long term deal and low ball him because he's been inconsistent? Does he even want to do that? Do we trade him?

Personally I only speculate though, but his current value won`t return enough so it`s not worth it, because I believe that Vesey have not hit his career high production yet. He has room to improve his overall skillset and talent level for sure, and his contract will not take up any cap space to worry about the next two-three seasons. So I hope Vesey stays with us in the next year training camp. My reasoning is also based on he enjoy finishing plays more than he pass, and we have too many passers on this current Rangers team.

About Vesey as a player I really enjoy his progression and it`s exciting to see him develop as a player as whole, and it will be exciting to follow him in the future.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Vesey is another who's play has seemed to pick up post trade deadline. I think we sign him to a two year deal at or just under $2MM AAV and are very happy with the production we get out of him over the next two seasons.

People forget that he's only just finishing his second season of pro hockey.

Reactions: Ori

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yes..so I repeat, hes been given bottom 6 minutes the majority of the season, in response to 31s post that he can only score while playing on the top 6.

Grabner scored all his goals while playing bottom-6 minutes. The big problem with Vesey is still that his overall play is not good enough. When the games are on the line, and we need to defend a lead, he is invisible. There are a lot of similarities between both Pirri and Vesey.

Pirri was never able to develop the overall level of play to stick around. Vesey needs to improve significantly in his own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad