Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey Part II

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's been better. I just AV didn't feed him minutes through a fire hose.

Same thing with Miller. Miller plays way too f***ing much.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I like Vesey. And I think he’s been better than he’s been given credit for. He’s an NHLer. Probably an average level third liner with some nice goal scoring upside.

I like Hayes, and Miller, and Kreider, and Nieves, and Fast, and Grabner too. Nash not so much. My problem is, aside from Kreider and Grabner’s speed, what is the difference between them all? Yes, Kreider is more physical by far. Yes, Miller produces the most. But they’re all such similar players. This is the problem in our forward group. Besides Zucc who is a playmaker? Who really has sick hands? Probably Buch but he’s dealing with being a in his first full season and consistency issues for now. We have good, likeable, largely homegrown plyers. It’s easy to be attached to all of them and like them. But it doesn’t work. We need players that aren’t all the same in terms of skill set/style of play.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I like Vesey. And I think he’s been better than he’s been given credit for. He’s an NHLer. Probably an average level third liner with some nice goal scoring upside.

I like Hayes, and Miller, and Kreider, and Nieves, and Fast, and Grabner too. Nash not so much. My problem is, aside from Kreider and Grabner’s speed, what is the difference between them all? Yes, Kreider is more physical by far. Yes, Miller produces the most. But they’re all such similar players. This is the problem in our forward group. Besides Zucc who is a playmaker? Who really has sick hands? Probably Buch but he’s dealing with being a in his first full season and consistency issues for now. We have good, likeable, largely homegrown plyers. It’s easy to be attached to all of them and like them. But it doesn’t work. We need players that aren’t all the same in terms of skill set/style of play.
I would consider Hayes a skilled playmaker, Zibanejad has good hands, but not the best playmaker, Miller when he shows up has good passing ability. But I don't think you are wrong really.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I would consider Hayes a skilled playmaker, Zibanejad has good hands, but not the best playmaker, Miller when he shows up has good passing ability. But I don't think you are wrong really.

Hayes is a “skilled playmaker” on this roster maybe. Yes, he tries to play that way and, like I said, he’s a perfectly good player whom I like, but he’s not genuinely much more skilled than the rest he just plays a bit more of that playmaker style. Zibs, Zucc and Buch are the only real skill players on the team and none of them have been the most consistent.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Cool input. Must be eating you alive to see people giving him props huh?
I'd have to look into his recent stretch of games via the numbers, but I do my best to make sure I don't come to HF and just regurgitate what Sam and Joe say on the broadcast.

7 points in December was certainly a plus month for James, can't take that away from him.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I'd have to look into his recent stretch of games via the numbers, but I do my best to make sure I don't come to HF and just regurgitate what Sam and Joe say on the broadcast.

7 points in December was certainly a plus month for James, can't take that away from him.

Eye test showed he's one of the few players right now that is actually skating and moving his legs. You deny his roof job on Raanta in Glendale or did you miss that? That seemed pretty effective.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Eye test showed he's one of the few players right now that is actually skating and moving his legs. You deny his roof job on Raanta in Glendale or did you miss that? That seemed pretty effective.
Do I deny it? What does that even mean?

Great goal, for sure. I'm not entirely certain why this one play matters.

I also don't really care what a player looks like, or if people throw analysis out there like "actually skating" and "moving his legs". I don't care about that if you're not an effective player. More often than not, Vesey is not an effective player by the objective standards that I use to help shape what I see on the ice.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'll tell ya' what i like. I like.......players that DRAW penalties. That means they are moving their feet and battling, forcing opposing players to taking penalties. Don't see much of that nowadays. It mainly is being slashed on hands and wrists, delay of games, too many men. Nary that "extra effort" making them sit the 2.

Reactions: belford222

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Still looking like a fringe NHL'er. His stats are slightly worse than last season. Pretty similar though.

The thing with his goals is that Vesey is like a 17 per 82 game goal scorer. Pirri couldn't stick in the NHL as a 20+ per 82 game scorer, so if you suck at every other part of the game, the goals don't matter. Unless you are going to score like 30-40 per season, being a decent goal-scorer doesn't matter.

I suspect Vesey will get another 150 or so NHL games, but then he'll lose his spot, and will be in the AHL or Europe.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
As a few of you “knowledgeable” posters on here have stated there is NO WAY JIMMY VESEY is an NHL player. No way. He’s a free asset and scores between 15-20 goals per year ( right up there with our first line center and Russian first line winger) plus he plays with grit. But there’s no way he’s an NHL player. Now I’m going to stop so I can laugh

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Still looking like a fringe NHL'er. His stats are slightly worse than last season. Pretty similar though.

The thing with his goals is that Vesey is like a 17 per 82 game goal scorer. Pirri couldn't stick in the NHL as a 20+ per 82 game scorer, so if you suck at every other part of the game, the goals don't matter. Unless you are going to score like 30-40 per season, being a decent goal-scorer doesn't matter.

I suspect Vesey will get another 150 or so NHL games, but then he'll lose his spot, and will be in the AHL or Europe.
yrp. Just like earlier today....delusional. Just stop and save yourself the embarrassment

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
As a few of you “knowledgeable” posters on here have stated there is NO WAY JIMMY VESEY is an NHL player. No way. He’s a free asset and scores between 15-20 goals per year ( right up there with our first line center and Russian first line winger) plus he plays with grit. But there’s no way he’s an NHL player. Now I’m going to stop so I can laugh
Vesey isn't a 20 goal scorer, he just increased his total goals this season by 20%. He'll be lucky to score 18 this season

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Vesey isn't a 20 goal scorer, he just increased his total goals this season by 20%. He'll be lucky to score 18 this season
Why can't he be a 20 goal scorer? I still would like see him given a shot at third or fourth line duties next year as opposed to tossing him aside like trash like many would prefer. Right now he is very far from being a top 6 guy but give me a guy who can score 15-20 goals on my 3rd or 4th line any day. What winger is gonna push him off the bottom six come next year?

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I still would like see him given a shot at third or fourth line duties next year as opposed to tossing him aside like trash like many would prefer. Right now he is very far from being a top 6 guy but give me a guy who can score 15-20 goals on my 3rd or 4th line any day. What winger is gonna push him off the bottom six come next year?
Im fine with bringing him back next year, as long as his aav isn't crazy. I just hope our next coach doesn't do what Alain does and play's him more than he should.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

I agree. Your assessment of Vesey is spot on.
If he has any value, then the club should move him at the upcoming draft.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I suspect you will still be wrong about Vesey and he will end up carving himself out a respectable career.Your comparison to Pirri is awful too.Pirri couldn't find his way into the dirty areas or D Zone with a map.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
If scoring a hattrick is what spawns a discussion about how fast he will exit the NHL because he sucks, you know the fans f***ing hate your guts. I really hope his teammates gave him more support after that game than this community does.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If scoring a hattrick is what spawns a discussion about how fast he will exit the NHL because he sucks, you know the fans ****ing hate your guts. I really hope his teammates gave him more support after that game than this community does.

Using it as an excuse to debate his failure as an NHL player has just as much merit as using it to claim he is going to have a good career. Matt Puempel scored a hattrick once. Remember how Megna was going to be great after getting 2 points in his first game for the Rangers?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Using it as an excuse to debate his failure as an NHL player has just as much merit as using it to claim he is going to have a good career. Matt Puempel scored a hattrick once. Remember how Megna was going to be great after getting 2 points in his first game for the Rangers?
Cheap bottom 6 player who can potentially score 20 goals isn't a failure just because a lot of people here expected him to become something he clearly is not.People here have their biases and agendas to keep pushing though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad