Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey Part II

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Nobody complained about staal more than me last season...so you hear it from me this season? No...because he's been fine...and his usage doesn't really bother me as much. I don't care about his salary...he's a 3rd pair d whos basically being deployed as one....

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I thought Vesey looked good in the playoffs and I felt he got a little too much criticism for his slow second half last year.

This year he’s been bad. He does nothing well with he puck on his stick and is only a plus around the opposing net. The contributions he makes in the dzone could be made from the bench.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I don't hate vesey. I hate avs usage of him.

I'm fine with him as a 4th liner..especially with multiple injuries
Anything else and I'm annoyed.

Av stinks at recognizing his players strengths and weaknesses

So I guess Ruff stinks as well? Or, is it possibly that they know better than we do? There HAS TO BE something more to it, other than favoritism.
If we get 3 more players BETTER THAN Vesey, then chuck him. Until then......we need him. Seems to me he still needs time to round out his game. He still considers himself a scorer, he may need to adjust that and improve on what he needs to improve on. He IS a NHLer, just that expectations were much higher than they should've been.......so, that means he stinks (sarcasm).

Reactions: McD37 and bl02

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yes, this little run has boosted him.

Now, among the 143 forwards who have played at least 1400 5v5 minutes over the past two years, he's only..

14th worst in points per 60
5th worst in relative shot attempt percentage
Last in relative goals for percentage
5th worst in relative expected goals for percentage

Way to go, James!

I want to see Lettieri instead of Vesey.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He's on an almost identical goal and point pace with last year, but will end up with many more SOGs while taking significantly less penalties and improving significantly on faceoffs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Vesey's stats are slightly better, but thats kind of problematic. We were told he might improve in years 2 and 3, I wouldn't consider a three point increase to be anything to even really discuss. That happens normally for guys who are like 28, 29 all the time, thats more of a random year to year thing than an actual real increase. If a "young" player is improving, I'd expect more than three points.

I think Vesey is what he is at this point. For one of the highest scoring teams in the league, he produces as like an 8.3 forward in terms of points, and he gets 7.8 forward minutes, including PP time, which many players getting 7.8 forward minutes don't get. His possession stats are among the worst in the league and he's not very effective defensively.

On a bad team, he's probably a 3rd liner. I agree with @Amazing Kreiderman, I'd rather see Lettieri than Vesey in the lineup. There's probably not a ton of difference between their hockey ability, but Lettieri is a right-shot, which should help our PP.

Reactions: Inferno

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I ask, what does Vesey do well? To me, he is effective around the net, and struggles elsewhere. Well below average passer, not really a threat to beat a goalie with his shot from distance, weak defensively.
He seems like he could be a pretty good pest in the same vein as Marchand. Play a little more dirty around the net.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Slims Jims stat line is not dramatically different than Nash's this season and we have some people on this board that want to give Nash 4-5 mill a year. I'm fine with Slim Jim on the 3rd or 4th line. I think he will be in the NHL for good amount of time if he stays healthy.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Any props for Slim Jim? That was a heck of a play last night.

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think he's been the Rangers' best and most consistent forward since mid-December.....

I'm not going that far, but on the road trip he's been the most robust. He's been moving his feet and driving the puck. If he only realizes that his future and career is going to rely on a north-south game and not trying to make slick passes....

Reactions: eco's bones

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
tied for second in even strength goals but lets send him down to the AHL. :D
He can score 20 goals in his sophomore season(which is very difficult to score in todays NHL) and he won't get an ounce of credit because he doesn't fit the narrative. In fact when he does get some credit its always made in jest. It took about 30 games of really good hockey for Hayes to get some credit but he was the whipping boy and some wanted him and vesey out of here earlier this season.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Jim's issue was a lack of effort and engagement. Everyone loved the player he was for the first 18 games last year.

When he took the next 52 with a cavalier effort out there... I think you saw the loss of respect for the kid.

If he can do what he can do with effort, why doesn't he do it every game?

I say the same about Kreider. The biggest difference is, beast mode Kreider, who we see appear for 20-30 games a year... is a dominant force.

Full effort Jim... well that's a very supportable top 9 player that plays in all situations.

Regular old Jim... eh... 4th liner with some flashes.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
well in the playoffs he was one of our better forwards. Not saying guy is gonna be above average top 6 forward but can we give him more than 1.5 seasons to prove his worth?
Isn't it very possible he could become a Mike Knuble type? A guy we probably gave up on too early.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If you can't just watch the game and realize that Nash is impacting the game in a substantially different way than vesey....then I can't even begin to have a discussion with you on this topic...

Not only about the same stat line.....but here's the problem I have with your post....Vesey's getting 3rd-4th line minutes with lesser talented players and making $925K. For the same production and playing with more talented players (and yeah we do get better all around play and pretty decent pk'ing from Rick)--we're giving Nash $7.8 mil but basically he's turned into a 3rd liner right in front of our eyes over the years and anyone who is even contemplating giving Rick $4 or $5 mil per after this year is up is f***ing out of their mind. So same production from the two players but one is banking almost $7 mil more per last year and this year and the best that some people can come up with is he's got a good defensive game. Here's another thing---yeah, Vesey is probably going to be re-signed and get a raise but it ain't going to be anywhere near what Rick Nash makes. Vesey might get to $1.5. A re-signed Nash shouldn't get more than $3 and less than that if he can't make it to 35-40 points and I wouldn't bet on him doing that.

Reactions: bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad