Jimmy Howard's Summer Training Doesn't Seem to Be Going Very Well

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Seems like a cool thing for Howard to organize. Good for him and the other Wings players that participated.

Reactions: Konnan511

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Seems like a cool thing for Howard to organize. Good for him and the other Wings players that participated.
Um, my intent was to point out he doesn't seem to be in the best of shape.

ZwyoRQH.gif

YK39QHj.gif

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I understood your intent, but really don't care. I like seeing Wings players get involved in the community, so that is what I chose to comment on. Seemed more worthwhile than talking about Howard having a few extra lbs on his waist during the off season.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I understood your intent, but really don't care. I like seeing Wings players get involved in the community, so that is what I chose to comment on. Seemed more worthwhile than talking about Howard having a few extra lbs on his waist during the off season.

Define "few"... because that is hardly minor weight gain. Professional athletes are paid millions because they are expected to do several things for their teams, and the Wings 'should' expect more than just PR. Hell, Holland and Osgood are both in better shape at this point. Props for the hearts and minds stuff, Jimmy, but take care of the other stuff too. Ask Drapes for help if you can't manage.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Define "few"... because that is hardly minor weight gain. Professional athletes are paid millions because they are expected to do several things for their teams, and the Wings 'should' expect more than just PR. Hell, Holland and Osgood are both in better shape at this point. Props for the hearts and minds stuff, Jimmy, but take care of the other stuff too. Ask Drapes for help if you can't manage.
I don't really know or care how overweight he is. If he shows up to camp overweight still, then lets have a conversation about it. These guys are pros and understand their regiments much better than I ever will, and also have the benefit of performance enhancers that make weight gain like this less of an issue to rectify. So, I'll focus on the positive for now, because I think it is a great thing for him to be involved in.

Reactions: TheOtherOne

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Um, my intent was to point out he doesn't seem to be in the best of shape.

ZwyoRQH.gif

YK39QHj.gif

I know his pain, we are a similar age, my metabolism is slowing down even more in my 30s.:laugh:

But yeah, that isn't great, especially since one of his biggest tweaks I remember hearing about after his horror year was to lose weight and be ready to challenge Mrazek. Looks like after regaining the #1 Jimmy has had his feet up a little this off-season I guess.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He just looks like he has bulked up. He's got more than 2 months now to slim down and get in game shape. I would be REALLY surprised if Howie isn't in great shape come training camp.

More concerning to me is that Dekeyser still looks he has never seen the inside of a gym. For christ's sake Danny, if you were a little stronger you could actually be pretty good..

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
He just looks like he has bulked up. He's got more than 2 months now to slim down and get in game shape. I would be REALLY surprised if Howie isn't in great shape come training camp.

More concerning to me is that Dekeyser still looks he has never seen the inside of a gym. For christ's sake Danny, if you were a little stronger you could actually be pretty good..

i was about to post exactly this when i saw dekeyser weakley swing the bat :D

And isn't it a trend for goalies to become "larger"? Art regner said "more gear you can hang on, more net you can cover"

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
This is really concerning. If Howard is in terrible shape our cup chances are shot...

Oh wait we’re going to be terrible regardless, and Howard isn’t going to be goalie when they aren’t bad. I don’t care.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
He’s 2 months away from training camp, he can and more than likely will lose a lot of that fat. Players bulk up especially in the beginning of the season to regain muscle they lost throughout the season.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Didn’t DDK bulk up a few years ago and it really affected his game? Not that his game is great now...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This is really concerning. If Howard is in terrible shape our cup chances are shot...

Oh wait we’re going to be terrible regardless, and Howard isn’t going to be goalie when they aren’t bad. I don’t care.

We'll be fine, Zadina is going 50G 50A this season, so we're good.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Wait, Jimmy is left handed?

I'm not sure if I knew that and forgot or just never knew. Whoever taught him to play goal like a right-hander should be shot! Looks like he also bats right (though with a whiff like that I doubt left could be worse).

Not too concerned about Howard's shape. He does look bulked up, even with flab. But as others have said he's got plenty of time to get into game shape.

And holy crap DK is skinny. He looks like me when I was 19. He needs to sit next to Jimmy at chowtime and steal food off his plate.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Haha when I saw that yesterday I didn't see his waist, I just thought his arms and chest looked big on his profile shot :laugh:

Hopefully he's at least been stretching

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm not trying to downplay this... But these guys are pro athletes for a reason. Once upon a time people freaked out over this picture.

BUFFFFFFFFWEDDDDD.jpg

And he's still pretty damn good.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Bobybuilders to this all the time. They get mass, and then they get rid of the mass.

Nothing meaningful to see in here.

You have to be on 100% shape, when it matters most, not all the time.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Bobybuilders to this all the time. They get mass, and then they get rid of the mass.

Nothing meaningful to see in here.

You have to be on 100% shape, when it matters most, not all the time.

And bodybuilding and goaltending in hockey are COMPLETELY comparable. It's not like goalies rely on speed, dexterity and athleticism!

But yeah, not worried. Poor goaltending is the best ingredient in a tank recipe ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad