News Article: Jimmy Howard extension coming (Maybe/Maybe not)

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Probably not that bad? There are 7 players in that period still in the org. The ones who left either left because they were garbage and flushed out or we got a 6th round pick back for.

The Wings got two good players, an enigma who could be the best player out of any they've taken except for Larkin (but usually is just okay), two okay players who are now overpaid to high hell, and two washouts who came back... in 7 years.

Terrible drafting is why the Wings are where they are at.

Kindl, Sheahan, McCollum and Smith... Those are our firsts and ultimately became duds. All pretty late firsts mind you. Compare that with the rest of the league, where year on year which teams picked in the same position and how many actually hit a homerun. Getting Tatar, Nyquist, Hudler, etc in the round they were picked, overall, we did alright. The amount of picks traded was done so for a reason and ultimately, we got a cup and a final to show for it.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
What is Howard's realistic trade value:
-if he stays healthy
-if he continues to play well. ( overall, I think Howard has played well. He has given up some untimely soft goals, but played well in front of this defense)
-if Detroit retains 50% of his salary

Personally, I see a 3rd that could turn into a second if he/new team play deep into the playoffs. For the rebuild, that is enough value to trade him and resign him in the off season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's a bit crazy, but when you look at the last 3-seasons stats, Jimmy is pretty much par with Holtby, Varlamov, Bishop and Lundqvist.

Bobrovsky would be the only upgrade from free agency. Other better goalies are signed on their teams.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It's a bit crazy, but when you look at the last 3-seasons stats, Jimmy is pretty much par with Holtby, Varlamov, Bishop and Lundqvist.

Bobrovsky would be the only upgrade from free agency. Other better goalies are signed on their teams.
Which is another reason I want Varlomov in UFA, might as well stabilize G for a few seasons while the D corps gets assembled & ready and the F's find their game.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Which is another reason I want Varlomov in UFA, might as well stabilize G for a few seasons while the D corps gets assembled & ready and the F's find their game.

Why do you want Varlamov, which isn't even an upgrade? Maybe younger than Jimmy.

Varlamov is just switching from average guy to another.

Bobrovsky is THE upgrade.

Reactions: ChrisReevesLegs

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Why do you want Varlamov, which isn't even an upgrade? Maybe younger than Jimmy.

Varlamov is just switching from average guy to another.

Bobrovsky is THE upgrade.
Decent #'s on many crappy rosters, except 16-17 when he only played 24 gms, but the whole COL team sucked. Plus younger than Jimmy, we know he can handle the workload as #1 & is probably hungry for a cup. JH just seems to be too comfy too often. Lastly, SV he'll be cheaper than Bob

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't know what happened with Holland and goalies. He used to be so cutthroat with the likes of Osgood and Cujo, both far better goalies than Howard. Jimmy has been given a million chances to be more here.

I know it doesn't really matter given the current roster, but what does that say to the players when mediocrity is rewarded with such loyalty? I guess it says you want to be in the cool club like Abby, Helm, and Howard.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don't know what happened with Holland and goalies. He used to be so cutthroat with the likes of Osgood and Cujo, both far better goalies than Howard. Jimmy has been given a million chances to be more here.

I know it doesn't really matter given the current roster, but what does that say to the players when mediocrity is rewarded with such loyalty? I guess it says you want to be in the cool club like Abby, Helm, and Howard.

To be fair, in the instances you reference with Joseph and Osgood, Holland had "on paper" a better option as both were cut for arguably the greatest goaltender of all time in Hasek. Then when you add it the fact that we were legit contenders, it makes sense. Right now with Howard, its not as if he has a better option staring him in the face and he's simply just turning it away. Its a completely different situation.

With that said, I actually hated the way the Joseph/Hasek situation was handled.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

It's hard to pivot with goalies in the salary cap world. Once Howard signed his long-term deal, that was it. Mrazek was given the reigns and he failed miserably.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It's all relative.

If other options to replace Jimmy Howard are worse, you pretty much keep Jimmy Howard. That's very very simple.

Reactions: CykaBlyat

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I think our goaltending future looks bleak, but unlike Nyquist, I don’t believe Howard can help us. And I’m a big supporter of his.

Should trade him.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

I approve this message.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Reasonable move but it makes me wonder why they felt the need to give bernier a 3 year contract if they were planning on bringing Howard back for a few more years anyway.
Obviously Holland wanted options. Bernier at 3x3 was a safe bet and it covers the Wings' asses in the event of either Howard being hurt/sucking or not wanting the re-sign or getting an unrefusable trade deadline offer. Holland has also shown lately that he's learned from a lot of the 'mistakes' he make ~3-5 years ago with the contracts he doled out. I would put money on him resigning Howard to a max of 3 years and a max of 2 million, regardless of how well he plays this year. The only scenario I could foresee screwing up the negotiations would be if Howard started posting shutouts and somehow wins the Vezina this year - then I could see things going sideways and the $$ jumping up.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Well what do you want? Maybe Howard is "mediocre" but his stats are on par with guys like Holtby, Lundqvist, Varlamov, Bishop etc. the last few years. Substantial upgrades on Howard are not easy to come by and the timing definitely isn't NOW to make some aggressive cutthroat move to land a superstar #1 goalie.

When Mrazek outplayed Howard, it looked like we had a change of our #1. Then Mrazek faltered and Howard bounced back in a big way. We signed Bernier to possible take over after Howard. Again Howard is outplaying his competition.

What does it say to the players if the guy who is putting in the work and playing better is let go in favor of worse options?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Salary cap happened.

When we had that 77 million payroll at 2003, it was Cujo for 8 million and Hasek for 8 million at same time.

Imagine that in a cap world. :sarcasm:

Easiest to cut salaries in 2005 was to cut it from goaltendeing.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's all relative.

If other options to replace Jimmy Howard are worse, you pretty much keep Jimmy Howard. That's very very simple.
You can treat Howard as the best option currently available without bidding against yourself to keep him. (Let alone rushing out to extend him before necessary.)

He's not worth more than 2 years, and not worth more than $3.5M AAV. Hopefully patience wins the day, and no unreasonable deals are signed.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Yeah, this is what I was getting at in my comment looking at stats of Stanley Cup winning goalies over the last 10 years.

You don't need your goalie to be the best in the league, you just need him to be 'good enough'. The rest of the team matters far more.

Howard would be more than good enough playing behind a team like Washington, for example.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
holtby and lundqvist have about 30 more games played since 16-17 but yes, their stats are similar. and those guys have been medicore too. howie, rask, holtby and varly are all tied for 19th in sv% during that period (at least 50 gp).

if we look at 15-16 to today (at least 100 gp), Howard drops to #26 (tied with 5 other goalies). about the same rank he has from 17-18 to today.

since 12-13, Howard has one, ONE above avg season. and he usually starts hot and falters towards the end as he picks up injuries. on this particular season his injuries were bad enough that he couldn't play more than 26 games and thus had good numbers overall.

from 16-17 to today is the only comp howie looks even average/medicore starter. unless we go back to like 11-12.

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So Jimmy = excellent

Your move tough guy

Jimmy Howard is a good goalie.

Excellent is way way too far.

I've always liked Howard more than most, but he's simply never been better than above average and he has had a lot of time where he was decidedly below average (mostly injury related, but it's still there as bad hockey)

He's good positionally, but he's awful at moving in the crease. He's prone to giving up softies now and again and he's not a plus puck handler.

He'll never be the reason you lose a game or a series but he'll also never be the reason you win one either.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Jimmy Howard is a good goalie.

Excellent is way way too far.

I've always liked Howard more than most, but he's simply never been better than above average and he has had a lot of time where he was decidedly below average (mostly injury related, but it's still there as bad hockey)

He's good positionally, but he's awful at moving in the crease. He's prone to giving up softies now and again and he's not a plus puck handler.

He'll never be the reason you lose a game or a series but he'll also never be the reason you win one either.

Blashill says he's been excellent this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad