News Article: Jimmy Howard extension coming (Maybe/Maybe not)

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Where are you getting this info from? Why would Detroit have to pay $1.1M if he is traded to a team that already was in the playoffs?

I would have to imagine that if he's traded and hits those bonuses in the playoffs, the team that acquires him would take that on.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
No one wanted him this past TDL,
Even Calgary passed on him, so it's irrelevant.

This is incorrect, period. Nobody wanted him cause the ask was too much. You really don't think a team would have given him a deal during FA? You're wrong.

As a fairly regular detractor of Holland, I'm happy with this deal.

Same here. These last 3 seasons has softened that blow a little bit. What's really holding his legacy back IMO is a lot of his panic trades and absurd FA signings

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Funny that stupid meme was the last straw for me. Very happy to have Jimmy back, have it taken care of, and let us focus on how to improve our team in the FA period

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Funny that stupid meme was the last straw for me. Very happy to have Jimmy back, have it taken care of, and let us focus on how to improve our team in the FA period
Back? He never left. And he was never going to, not even close.Only things I like about this deal is there is not a NTC and it's only one year. Hopefully he can stay healthy til TDL because this team has no chance at the playoffs next year unless the roster is extremely upgraded.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
No one wanted him this past TDL,
Even Calgary passed on him, so it's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant, as when it comes to goalies its all about timing. Come the TDL next year, if there are no major injuries or no goalies who lost their game, you are likely right.
However, if come TDL a top goalie goes down, or multiple go down, then all of a sudden Howard (considering he plays well) becomes very valuable. It ultimately comes down to supply and demand, this year there was just no demand, but it doesn't mean there won't be next year.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Waiting until July, versus still only having one goalie in August (let alone October) are two different things.

Howard wants to stay, so it's not like there's a huge risk of losing him. Let free agency play out, go after the guys you want, see who signs where, and how much cap space you have left. If there's still room for Howard after that, then bring him back at 1x$4M. If not, then sign a cheaper option for 1-2 years.

Over the next year or two, unless you have either a HOF lock or a complete dumpster fire in net, the goalie will have less impact on the direction of this franchise than any key skaters signed in free agency. So I'm not opposed to re-signing Howard to that deal...just opposed to rushing to do it now, before other more important UFAs are going to market.

The Red Wings have plenty of money to spend in free agency, with or without signing Howard at $4M. The point of my post was that they were going to sign another goalie regardless whether it's Howard now, or another goalie after they sign Karlsson. At most, you're talking about like a 2 million dollar difference (compared to if they went with a cheaper guy later).

Also, no point in signing Karlsson if they are going to go into the season with Bernier and another crappy goalie. A (hypothetical) offseason where the team uses their cap space on a player like Karlsson signals the team is ready to fight for the playoffs again.....which does not jive with signing a crappy goalie off the streets for the least amount of money possible.

With a projected 83M salary cap next season, the Wings (after the Howard signing and taking into account LTIR savings for Z and Franzen) will still have approximately $18-19M to spend and fill like 3-4 roster spots. This signing doesn't change their plans if they want to try to make an offseason splash somehow.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
That's the thing is signing him to this, if it is 4M, still gives them 14-15 million to sign with. That's why I'm okay with doing it now. Boxing yourself into only having 9M available? Yeah, that's not good. But right now, they can land Karlsson or Breadman no problem and can make a trade to sort out anything else after they get them signed.

It's a non-impact move. There is not a pending disaster in missing out on a big fish because of this move. If they sign another guy before July 1, I change my mind. If it's over 4M, I change my mind.

This move should only anger those who thought that the Wings might go bonkers and try to land BOTH Karlsson and Panarin or other similar high profile UFAs. Both doesn't seem like a reality, but it really never did.

And I guess it's just more that I'm thinking you take care of your internal business so when UFA starts, you can camp on Karlsson's front porch with a blank check and say, we need you and only you. You can now full court press EK with cap space not significantly changed from what it would be if you waited until July (as they're not going to sign a Curtis McElhinney type for 1-2M and have Bernier be the starter after this year.

E: That being said, I would not mind starting in net and making the league minimum if it guaranteed us Erik Karlsson.

Who is Breadman?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->