News Article: Jimmy Howard extension coming (Maybe/Maybe not)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why are we jumping the gun on this? There’s been 11 games played.

His stats are always good at the start of the year... then he tweaks something... then they dip.

Let’s wait and see how the season plays out.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Yeah, I'm actually onboard with most folks.. I don't mind a couple of years more at a reasonable cap hit but I don't think it's a good idea to do this so early in the season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why? Because they're interested in keeping around a good goalie who is very likely to take a paycut because he's 35 and who knows what the deal is with the roster talent?

God, I hate how people react here. I'd rather have Jimmy Howard at 2.5M than ANY goalie on the FA market at that price. Hell, given equal stuff this year, if Howard was a FA and we had signed him to a 3x3 contract this year, that's the deal I would have thought was the best goalie deal on the market.

It might be alright IF it’s at a discounted rate, but that’s a big IF.

When’s the last time we re-signed a guy on an expiring contract to a discount?

Not Quincey. Not Helm. We’re paying Vanek more than the first time around.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
People never seen to acknowledge that there are two sides to a negotiation around here. Everyone always wants to be the GM and not the player agent.

If you're Jimmy Howard you probably tell the team that you'll negotiate for a couple months and then if we can't work something out, then I'll be playing the market after the season. If you're the player you can't just wait and see how the season plays out because then you might lose your leverage.

Holland kind of is over a barrel here because of its not Howard, then who will it be? Rinne just signed. Bobrovsky seems too rich for our blood. Do you want Mike Smith or Cam Talbot? Varlamov? Do you roll with a lesser quality guy and give the starting job to Bernier? You can't put yourself in a position where you have to give up assets for a goaltender at this point in your rebuild.

If you wait too long on Howard and he has a nice season, I'm sure he'd rather go play on another team closer to contending. Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, etc.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This article is nothing more than them assuming things! Nothing in it is factual as far as resigning goes, it just says this and that are happening because the Wings and Howard are happy! Nothing from either side on this. I would imagine, Jimmy might like a chance to play for a team in a more competitive state as his career is winding down.

If he does get resigned I don't think that is that bad of an idea, as honestly I don't think we have even one goalie in our system right now that is going to be anything at the NHL level.

Reactions: Ingvar

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
People never seen to acknowledge that there are two sides to a negotiation around here. Everyone always wants to be the GM and not the player agent.

If you're Jimmy Howard you probably tell the team that you'll negotiate for a couple months and then if we can't work something out, then I'll be playing the market after the season. If you're the player you can't just wait and see how the season plays out because then you might lose your leverage.

Holland kind of is over a barrel here because of its not Howard, then who will it be? Rinne just signed. Bobrovsky seems too rich for our blood. Do you want Mike Smith or Cam Talbot? Varlamov? Do you roll with a lesser quality guy and give the starting job to Bernier? You can't put yourself in a position where you have to give up assets for a goaltender at this point in your rebuild.

If you wait too long on Howard and he has a nice season, I'm sure he'd rather go play on another team closer to contending. Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, etc.

You are way over doing it here with this over the barrel stuff. There are lots of goalies you can add, and right now, we do not need some vezina level goaltender. To get a decent/good enough goalie back wouldn't cost that much, maybe a 3rd round pick, or you sign a UFA in the offseason with which there are always plenty of options of good enough for where we are right now.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

Howard is under contract now though. Meaning he can't really negotiate elsewhere either. And while Holland doesn't have much options on the market, I don't think Howard does either at this point. He's not a long term solution to any team at the moment and most teams, even the ones that are unhappy with their goaltending situation, tend to have quite of bit of money tied up in goaltenders as well.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
You are way over doing it here with this over the barrel stuff. There are lots of goalies you can add, and right now, we do not need some vezina level goaltender. To get a decent/good enough goalie back wouldn't cost that much, maybe a 3rd round pick, or you sign a UFA in the offseason with which there are always plenty of options of good enough for where we are right now.

I would still rather have a guy that will keep us in the games though. If you're down 4 nothing at the end of first, (hyperbolic but still) the team is a lot likely to mail it in for the rest of the game and I certainly don't want our youngsters to ever do that.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

If Howard ends up staying healthy, and playing well the entire season, sure.

But I don't like those odds. Howard's track record says he probably needs Detroit more than Detroit should need him.

Just let things play out and see what happens - as a backup plan, <Random Average Goaltender> via free agency isn't the worst thing in the world at this stage of the rebuild.

Reactions: Snuggs

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
What good are we for Varly or Bob? And what good are they for us? By the time we are good enough to push they will not be.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Why not use the goalie they signed for 3 years? Howard isn't going to get better over the life of any extension he signs, why not just hold pat, sign a cheap back up and hope one of the kids emerges?

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Honestly I would be fine with a 2-3 year deal, except Kenny will give him the 6 year 6.0 AAV full NMC. Would rather let Yzerman decide what to do with Howard

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I don’t get it. Why would they sign another goalie when you can just pay Howard? Because of his injury history? I’m pretty sure that’s why they signed Bernier. Howard’s the best bang for your buck even if he misses games. He’s probably the only goalie willing to sign a 2 year deal too

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I guess in theory I like the idea of trading Howard for a pick at the TDL, but realistically I don't see him bringing much of a return.
If its only 1 or 2 years, and the cap-hit is reasonable, I am fine with it. If its more then 2 years, I dont like it.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Jimmy may be at the point in his career where he wants a shot at the title as a rental with a competitive team. He will never have a chance if he stays in Detroit. That doesn't mean he couldn't return, but the risk would be a career ending injury. Holland could even hammer out details of a new contract before a trade, just can't sign. Could be win-win for both.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He's going to get hurt at some point. When he returns from the injury his play will be awful. I'm not sure how people forget this is his usual pattern. Why would there be any talk of an extension at this point in the season?
It's because Ken Holland has this habit of signing them not as players, but as people. Every signing has this "we want to do right by ____" family feel to it. It's personal for him, which clouds his judgment quite a bit, IMO.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Am I the only guy holding out hope we can move him by the trade deadline? Health aside, I want picks for him more than I want to resign him...

Reactions: saska sault

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You sign the best possible starter on a fair price (not overpaid - inflated) with the right [rebuild] attitude/acceptance. Who do you pin all your hopes on and will be available and sign here that is consistently better and cheaper? Howard has the right attitude for the job here. He is not a headcase in the locker-room during these dark times and gives 100% every night, and most importantly, his teammates greatly respect him. There is literally not much more you can ask for during a rebuild.

During a rebuild through all the losing, tempers flair. Having a smooth running locker room is essential. I believe Howard is an important piece to any positivity in that room. Be careful as goalies are known to be headcases and/or sociopaths and that could be a house of cards. Lol.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Am I the only guy holding out hope we can move him by the trade deadline? Health aside, I want picks for him more than I want to resign him...
At this time last year, I would have said exactly the same thing, and would have given him away at any price. At the moment, I'm more on the fence, letting the market decide. If a team gets desperate (injury perhaps) and offers a good return for him, by all means.

I would still rather trade him for even a mediocre return than fork over a bloated extension, but if nobody is anxious to pony up a decent pick, and Howard could be inked to a cheap 1-2 year deal, I'm ok with that too.

Reactions: Snuggs and kliq

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad