News Article: Jimmy Howard extension coming (Maybe/Maybe not)

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Just saw that the AAV is actually $5.1M.

The deal includes a $1.1M performance bonus based on the Red Wings making the playoffs next year.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
1 year 4 million is a really good deal for us. We get a proven starter with a low cap hit while not committing any term.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

The deal includes a $1.1M performance bonus based on the Red Wings making the playoffs next year.
Clarification for anyone:
Cap hit is 4.0 until he hits those bonuses, though, much like Panarin's rookie year in Chicago when they got kinda hosed for him hitting all of them

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Clarification for anyone:
Cap hit is 4.0 until he hits those bonuses, though, much like Panarin's rookie year in Chicago when they got kinda hosed for him hitting all of them

And in the slim chance that the Red Wings actually do make the playoffs and are at the max, that $1.1M can move to the next season.

Reactions: Ezekial

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012

Wouldn't a players performance bonus be linked to his current team, and not any one team?

I'm pretty sure Jimmy would get a $1.1M bonus if 'his' team make the playoffs next season, whether it's Detroit or not......

The $1.1M becomes it's own NTC. If Jimmy stays with the Wings all year, then he gets $4M since the Wings won't make the playoffs.
If the Wings decide to trade Howard at the TD to a contender next season, who makes the playoffs, Jimmy makes $4M and get a $1.1M bonus when the new team makes the playoffs.

The $1.1M would be a form of NTC. If wings decide to trade Jimmy, it will cost them a $1.1M bonus to do so. Which I'm sure both the Wings and Jimmy would be OK with.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Wouldn't a players performance bonus be linked to his current team, and not any one team?

I'm pretty sure Jimmy would get a $1.1M bonus if 'his' team make the playoffs next season, whether it's Detroit or not......

The $1.1M becomes it's own NTC. If Jimmy stays with the Wings all year, then he gets $4M since the Wings won't make the playoffs.
If the Wings decide to trade Howard at the TD to a contender next season, who makes the playoffs, Jimmy makes $4M and get a $1.1M bonus when the new team makes the playoffs.

The $1.1M would be a form of NTC. If wings decide to trade Jimmy, it will cost them a $1.1M bonus to do so. Which I'm sure both the Wings and Jimmy would be OK with.
Where are you getting this info from? Why would Detroit have to pay $1.1M if he is traded to a team that already was in the playoffs?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Where are you getting this info from? Why would Detroit have to pay $1.1M if he is traded to a team that already was in the playoffs?

Was on Bob McKenzie's twitter.

I'm actually not sure how 35+ performance bonuses work, other than that they are accounted for at the end of the season and can carry over into the next seasons cap if they take the team over the limit.

It sounds like Howard's has a bunch of different bonuses totaling $1.1M, according to HSJ:

Detroit Red Wings extend Jimmy Howard, hope to pay him playoff bonus
The bonus is tiered based on the playoff appearance and how many games Howard will have played (35, 40, 45, 50 up to 55). There's also a bonus if the Wings win their first-round playoff series, and another if they win a second-round series.

I'm assuming who pays the bonuses is tied to how it's written? "If the team makes the playoffs and Jimmy Howard plays in 35/whatever games, then $xxx,xxx bonus kicks in"...?

Reactions: A II R

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Good deal. I don't see how anyone would be upset by this. Larsson is still a couple years away from being the main goalie for this team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Retent the salary at the deadline for 50%, and the bonus is equal for the saved salary or even less.

Trade deadine is usually at 75% of season played.

You retent 50% of that 4M base salary, that leaves 2M caphit/salary figure for the traded team and 25%, the last quarter of season, of it.

So, that's 500k for the team he is traded + that 1.1M bonus if they reach the playoffs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm actually not sure how 35+ performance bonuses work, other than that they are accounted for at the end of the season and can carry over into the next seasons cap if they take the team over the limit.

I'm assuming who pays the bonuses is tied to how it's written? "If the team makes the playoffs and Jimmy Howard plays in 35/whatever games, then $xxx,xxx bonus kicks in"...?

That kind of bonus is paid after the season, because it's based on playoff success. The team which will own his rights after the season will pay it and will carry the salary cap effects.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Retent the salary at the deadline for 50%, and the bonus is equal for the saved salary or even less.

Trade deadine is usually at 75% of season played.

You retent 50% of that 4M base salary, that leaves 2M caphit/salary figure for the traded team and 25%, the last quarter of season, of it.

So, that's 500k for the team he is traded + that 1.1M bonus if they reach the playoffs.
I dont think we would be on the hook for the bonus but I would pay it if it guaranteed a first round return

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad