Waived: Jimmy Hayes for buy-out

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I could see Vegas taking a chance with him. He scored 20 under Gallant, maybe he could at least be semi-useful again under him.

was pure trash in Boston though, but was trying to play a style not meant for him. He needs to crash the net and look for deflections and rebounds.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'll take Jimmy Hayes on the Devils. We need a good RWer so bad. For the right contract he could be a good fit for us.

He's not good at anything. He's only good at being tall, and he doesn't use his size so really he's not even good at being tall.

I could see Vegas taking a chance with him. He scored 20 under Gallant, maybe he could at least be semi-useful again under him.

was pure trash in Boston though, but was trying to play a style not meant for him. He needs to crash the net and look for deflections and rebounds.

Yep, we told him to do that. That's why he never played. He's a soft player, he doesn't go to the dirty areas and he likely never will. I feel bad for the guy. He was pretty much a meme for every day of his career in his hometown except for the first week or two where he was pretty good. Especially for a guy that was so excited to play in his hometown, that's gotta sting.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
end of an era :)

so happy I will never have to see Jimmy Hayes in a Bruins jersey again

im sure a great guy, just not good at hockey, one of my least favorite players ive ever watched.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I tried to talk myself into Jimmy Hayes so many times the past two years...he's just not good.

What was the issue if you don't mind me asking? Was it chemistry? His skill sets? His usage by the coach?
Didn't really get to see much 9f Boston these past 2 years. Thanks in advance.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
What was the issue if you don't mind me asking? Was it chemistry? His skill sets? His usage by the coach?

He was a good guy and seemed to be very well liked by the team. There are some rumors that he was upset with the way he was treated and vocalized that with family and friends, but I don't know the truth of that.

He was just bad at hockey. Soft, passive, just not talented. Really couldn't do anything right. Couldn't succeed on any line. He's just bad, it is what it is.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass

He was moved all over to try and jump start his game, didnt matter..whatever line he was on he was the anchor.

Slow. Cant skate. Cant hit. Misses hits regularly and punishes the glass. Sometimes youll see him skating around aimlessly trying to do something, looks lost out there.

Skating I think is his major downfall, cant get to where he needs to fast enough so planting himself in front of the net always turns out to be useless...guy cant even get to areas to get the garbage goals.

The skating issue is I think why he missed so many hits, cant even catch the guys with hits, they are already gone by the time Hayes gets there.

Zero confidence. Some shifts I'd watch him to try and understand what he does..and it's mostly aimlessly skating 2-3 steps behind the play. Like everything for Hayes is on delay and he never could catch up.

Very bad player to have in your top 9 and kills energy on the 4th line. So many rushes/plays/cycles/offensive pressure died on Hayes stick.

He seems like a lovable oaf. Goofy. VERY VERY weak, he'd have a lot smaller guys pushing him off the puck regularly...that's a strength issue. No reason a guy that big should be that weak in corners or along the boards. Just made him even more frustrating to watch.

Phew...not trying to be mean but that's the honest assessment of what I saw out of him.

Maybe he works out hard this summer and a change of scenery could boost his confidence but I really dont see it.

It was getting infuriating seeing Hayes get rolled out game in and game out while providing nothing and hurting whatever line he was on. He had no confidence, was passive, soft, coughed up pucks...nothing really worked in his favor this season. He could never find his game despite all his opportunities.

Just happy we are done with the Jimmy Hayes Experience.

Moral of the story...Panthers fans were RIGHT! :laugh:

edit also...I realize this was a huge critic but bruins fans had a loooong season of watching Hayes..any other fans wanting Hayes on their team, go over to bruins board and read through Hayes thread for a laugh.

Pros: Hayes seems like a nice big goofy lovable kind of guy. He is also a great whipping boy, so easy to rip on and make fun of.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I really don't understand the Devils one. They already have a boatload of cap space and no forwards.

Unless they plan on signing half the UFA forwards available this makes no sense.

Shero can make some bold moves in free agency. Look back at the Martin Michalek combo signing. That was considered a free agency escapade at the time. Michalek didn't exact workout, but Martin was a stabilizing force here for all of his years except one dumpster fire of a season. It was only his free agency signing in house, in his last few years with the combo of the (Dupuis, Kunitz, and Scuderi) deals he handed out to aging in house or former players.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a big plan, a grand design kind of thing, whether youll like it... Well thats another question entirely...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad