Injury Report: Jimmy Garoppolo has a torn ACL

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Daniels isn't really experienced. 78 career passes. It's crazy how much money he's made in his career.
I agree. At least mccown has started games. How Daniels got $7 million per on philly boggles my mind. But he’s carved out a nice career without taking any real licks.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If they could convince Matt Moore he might honestly be the best option out of that trash heap. You already know the likes of Yates, Clemens and Savage will give you absolutely nothing. Moore was at the least serviceable in his time with Miami as a back up. Definitely was one of the better QB2s in the league.

I don't see the Niners making a trade of any sort (especially since a team like say, Philly would ask a premium for Foles) when Jimmy is the guy going forward anyway.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Yeah, but the probability that he blows a knee jogging out of bounds is much lower.

In any case, that doesn't take away from the fact that he shouldn't have tried to cut back in. It was 3rd and goal, and he was 15 yards away from a TD. I like that he's willing to do whatever it takes to win, but he needed to pick his spots better.

Don't know if you are arguing against it or unaware but the 9ers were going to go for it on 4th down so any extra yards helped

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don't know if you are arguing against it or unaware but the 9ers were going to go for it on 4th down so any extra yards helped
In all honesty, whether you’re at the 16 or 13, it likely isn’t changing the play call. From the 5 vs the 3 or 2, then you open up run options. A blown knee is a blown knee. Too bad he got hurt.

I think it’s more the decision making of jimmy to cut back in to gain 3 yards at the 15 that is concerning to me. If he’s going for a first down I get it or inside the 5. But on 3rd and goal those 2-3 yards at that point in the field shouldn’t matter. Have to protect yourself when you have the chance. CJ Beathord is your backup..

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
In all honesty, whether you’re at the 16 or 13, it likely isn’t changing the play call. From the 5 vs the 3 or 2, then you open up run options. A blown knee is a blown knee. Too bad he got hurt.

I think it’s more the decision making of jimmy to cut back in to gain 3 yards at the 15 that is concerning to me. If he’s going for a first down I get it or inside the 5. But on 3rd and goal those 2-3 yards at that point in the field shouldn’t matter. Have to protect yourself when you have the chance. CJ Beathord is your backup..

My point wasnt that it was a good idea but why he was fighting for more yards, it wasnt just to make the field goal attempt closer

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My point wasnt that it was a good idea but why he was fighting for more yards, it wasnt just to make the field goal attempt closer
I get that. Just saying that your play call on 4th and goal whether it’s from the 16 or 13 isn’t really going to change. So what’s the benefit of those 2-3 yards? At 4th and goal, Shanahan is as likely to go for it from the 16 as he would from the 13. Those extra yards shouldn’t affect his decision to either go for it or kick a FG.

If he’s getting inside the 5 I can accept that cause the closer he gets it opens up run options. Not running the ball from the 13 on 4th and goal.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Without Garoppolo, 49ers try out 7 QBs to patch up position

The tryout group included Kellen Clemens, 35, T.J. Yates, 31, and Tom Savage, 28. In addition, E.J. Manuel, 28, Landry Jones, 29, and Matt Simms, 29, and undrafted rookie Kyle Allen, 22, were also reportedly in Santa Clara to compete for the roster spot.

The 49ers also invited Matt Moore, 34, but he declined the offer, his agent, Lynn Lashbrook, said. Moore, who would have been the most experienced and accomplished of the tryout QBs, has been evaluating whether to return to the NFL after starting five games for the Dolphins the past two seasons.

Cant believe Clemens is still around

Apparently he spent last 4 years as Chargers backup before they moved on

Out of that group I would probably sign Jones

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
When a guy goes down with a non contact injury like Jimmy, isn't the assumption that it was going to go sooner or later? If so, if it wasn't this cut, it would have been the next one, or the one after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad